Author Topic: JEP- is it worth buying ?  (Read 59284 times)

Jason the Maverick

Re: JEP- is it worth buying ?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »
People post on here under bogus names.  Many Blogs are run with bogus names.  IsthisJersey Admin has a bogus name.  I do not understand what the big deal is.  If people did not agree with the contents of the letter then why did they not just send a letter in with another bogus name?

Offline danrok

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 09:42:52 PM »
The address is not bogus, which suggests to me that the person concerned is intentionally trying to deceive people.  They're trying to create an illusion that someone by the name of B. Riantz lives at 29 Belmont Road.  How would you feel about that if they put your home address along with a bogus name?

If someone used my address in that way, I'd have the law on to them.

This has nothing to do with forum user names, which are just that, user names, not real names.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »
We don't know the full story, what if one of the people in those flats gave permission to use the address? 

Billy

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »
Nah the JEP is drivel.

Sometimes we get it as its free at the Gym. Even then its overpriced.

Online ftw.

Offline The Rev Peter Sarkey

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 11:08:01 AM »
What's the JEP when we can read the truth in the tabloids??
"That's not in the effing good book!"

Offline Eastern correspondent

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 10:36:04 PM »
Many people beleive what they read in the JEP especially in the context of the political sphere - the journalists demonise certain politicians - Geoff Southern has had a bad press over the years, Stuart Syvret is painted as public enemy number 1, any person  that is slightly radiacal ( ie not a member of the establishment party) is in their sights!

Guernsey is served by a much less partisan press as our Chief Minister has discovered - if Clavelly (UK owners of both publications ) got rid of the editorial staff  and got a non local editor in we might actually have print worth the paper it was written on!

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 08:59:55 AM »
Bring it on Eastern Correspondent!! ;D

Offline Stuart Syvret

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »
Jason

There is a clear and profoundly obvious difference between people posting on web-sites and blogs under pseudonyms, or multiple accounts – and the “letters” as printed in The Rag.

It is this:

When we look at material on the web – we do so in the full knowledge that a lot of it will be bogus, faked and simply generally unreliable. So when we read web sites – it’s a case of caveat emptor – the buyer beware.

By way of contrast – the JEP depicts the contents of its letters page as “real” – they print a letter, with a purportedly real name as signature and from a “real” address – or a “location” masquerading as a “real address” – and in the doing they are selling to their readers the concept that the letters page is reliable; the “letters” are real.

And, certainly, that is how the vast majority of the JEP’s readers will view its letters’ page – that the letters which appear are “real”.

That’s the difference between the two different media.

Now if The Rag wants to finally go public – and confess it’s been using an approach to its letters page every bit as unreliable as what’s on the net for decades – and henceforth always print a standard warning on it’s letters page that the content may be fake and manufactured – all well and good.

But at present – The Rag is simply lying to its readers; conning them into thinking that the things within its pages are real and reliable.

Stuart.

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »
When we look at material on the web – we do so in the full knowledge that a lot of it will be bogus, faked and simply generally unreliable. So when we read web sites – it’s a case of caveat emptor – the buyer beware.

By way of contrast – the JEP depicts the contents of its letters page as “real” – they print a letter, with a purportedly real name as signature and from a “real” address – or a “location” masquerading as a “real address” – and in the doing they are selling to their readers the concept that the letters page is reliable; the “letters” are real.

or conversely....

Its patently clear that a great deal of people who post comments on websites and blogs believe that the content of those sites are true. "To google" and "to wiki" have become a poor and dangerous excuse for research nowadays.

Similarly there's a broad section of the population who believe nothing that they read in the papers, and accept that the media has its own agenda.

Are you saying that when you make a post on your blog, you are not depicting its contents as real and to be believed by your readers?

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »

Stuart, does this mean that anything you have ever posted is untruthful or unreliable?? Please let us know (the truth that is...)

Offline Stuart Syvret

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »
Jersey Spud & Dylan

Of course there are some people who will believe what they read on the web and some who, as a matter of course, choose to believe nothing they read in the newspapers. That’s just a statement of the obvious.

But I’d bet you the average purchaser of the JEP, older Jersey people for example, do not look at its letters page and think “right – half of those letters are made-up and fake.”  For sure people will have a broader scepticism when it comes to the content of news stories – but most people will imagine the letters The Rag prints to be genuine.

As far as the believability and reliability of stuff on the web is concerned – without exaggeration 99% of the many people I know will read sites – especially political ones – and doubly especially the readers’ comments section – and view them with healthy scepticism. There is an expectation that a lot of web content will be dodgy. Just as there is a general expectation that letters published in The Rag are real.

As far as my own blog is concerned – I cannot vouch for the validity or reality of my readers, or for what they say in the comments. I receive a great deal of comments many of which are just wild assertions which do not tie-in with other, corroborative evidence know to me. So I do try to weed-out such comments; just as I weed-out simple abuse, racism, homophobia, trollings and the occasional crack-pot who believes the world’s rulers to be giant, shape-shifting space alien lizards – or something like that.

So as far as my readers comments are concerned, I do try to exercise a degree of ‘quality-control’ – but I accept fully the fact that the decisions as to what gets posted are, ultimately, a judgment-call on my part. And I’ve never claimed otherwise. But as I feel it’s important that people have a site they can comment to in complete anonymity – without having to register – along with that liberal approach comes, of course, the risk that a commenter may be making multiple comments and manufacturing a dialogue. Like I said – it’s a judgment call.

But – to address the question put asked by Dylan – I say this:

Unequivocally - everything I write on my blog – either as a substantive post or as comments - I know, or strongly believe to be true. I have never knowingly written falsehoods.

Indeed, the more robust posts and comments from me – which name and shame people from time-to-time – are very strongly evidenced.

I mean, just have a read of my blog archive. I have written a vast number of very serious things which – if untrue – would be defamatory. Yet, since beginning the blog in January – I have not received so much as a single legal letter or e-mail threatening me with defamation actions. This is because all such would-be claimants know perfectly well I’d plead justification, public–interest and fair comment – and would adduce a raft of witnessed and material evidence. So I guess what I’m writing must be pretty accurate.

It’s true that a coupled of the individuals I’ve criticised – one wealthy businessman, for example – is saving-up an attempted defamation action against me (so my moles inform me) until a couple of months before my term of Office expires. He figures that to launch his legal action – naturally with the enthusiastic support and spin of The Rag – would be damaging to me electorally. There are two fatal flaws in his strategy: (a) I’m not seeking re-election, and (b) – he wouldn’t win the legal action anyway. As far as (b) is concerned – he knows that – but winning isn’t the purpose – the  sole function of the legal action would be as a PR attack on me for a few months – in the hope I wouldn’t get back in.

So whilst I wouldn’t claim any kind of infallibility – the stuff written by me on my blog is true on the available evidence, witness accounts, whistle-blower and survivor testimony.

I also never, ever use pseudonyms on any site on the web. Every post or comment I’ve ever made has been done openly, under my own name.

Which is a damn site better than can be said of The Rag and it’s letters’ page.

Stuart.

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up Stuart - in short what you are saying is ... ( wait for it...)
"Its not the winning that counts it's how you lay the blame??" :D

Offline Stuart Syvret

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »
Dylan

Sorry - perhaps I'm thick - but I don't really understand the point you're making.

Stuart

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »
No need Stuart ... no need

Offline Eastern correspondent

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
Dylan

Are you in any way connected to The Magic Roundabout - if so - How is Florence these  days!  8)