Author Topic: JEP- is it worth buying ?  (Read 59283 times)

Offline Conductor

Re: JEP- is it worth buying ?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »
But in saying that I do like the JEP letters page  ;)

But not worth 45p.  You finish it in about 3 minutes. 

Offline Fritz

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
If you read it really slowly, and do the crossword it can last as long as two pints.

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 11:30:28 PM »
Have you moved onto Paul Le Claire's Manifesto now?

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »
The Jersey Evening Post has a web site, as no doubt you are aware link below. They don't have to have a WEB site they sell hardcopy, but it is the norm for modern media newspapers.

Stuart Syvret has views, which in a nutshell insists that the JEP is heavily Jersey establishment bias. I had taken no position, for or against  up to this point, and would hope that as professional journalists and in the knowledge that you can fool some of the people some of the time etc, being the only local paper they would get it wrong sometimes as is to be expected however a mirror on the happenings on Jersey is what I expect.

Back at their website they have a historic calendar so you can read articles and letters a few months back. Advised that a brilliant article written by Roger Bale had been published called  "Achieving a Balance" around the end of July. I searched the JEP WEB site. As I must have missed the JEP on that date. I found it not on the JEP website but elsewhere. That’s means that they are being very selective about ideas on their site. Possible I missed it ?  The date is actually the 25th of July and I found the main body of articles and readers page plus headlines not Roger Bale's article though.  Very strange JEP. Seems like Stuart proved  right yet again. This could be the reason sales are falling as many people I know no longer purchase it on a nightly basis ! lack of confidence in the JEP.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2008/07/25/page/2/

Roger Bales answer re: Jerseys' future to hot for the JEP archives http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,58.0.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:48:52 AM by boatyboy »

Offline danrok

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »
Unfortunately for the JEP, their website is a complete compromise and will be instrumental in their on-going demise.

There is no point in publishing the first few paragraphs of a story on-line.  Even their full-stories in the printed edition are often sparse on real information, and often riddled with errors.

The JEP is one of those companies which wishes the internet didn't exist, and it shows!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 02:23:38 AM »
Sorry JEP staff, you need the pay cheque, however the Editor, he is the one after all that’s lost the plot. Although some of the journalists are articulate, who is the paper produced for, the thousands of islanders that are supposed to enjoy well informed deep reporting of the facts, or political and establishement leaders, who will be gone as the big wheel clicks around?

I have seen, (God does he go into detail) your leading editorial re the AG. on, you have guessed it, Stuart Syvrets blog re this particular editorial, which he must of spent half the night ripping apart, and a prolonged waste of his energy, yawn (that's me), then sadly, do I have to really say this again, in my opinion he is right.

There are average teachers and gifted teachers, a long, long time ago, a lady, who took her pupils to a new place, including myself, taught us to read through, and question everything we read, newspapers were her favourite, but other examples were offered. Use your brain she would say, is this article paid for by coke or B&Q trying to sell you something or is it good reporting.

Lets be honest, everyone try's to sell themselves in one way or another except of course you with a monopoly, our local rag that we are supposed to trust ?The Jersey Evening Post. Falling sales, Sell the shops maybe ? you really do seem to have missed the fact that our schools are amongst the best any where, you are wide very wide of the mark by thinking that the population is THICK!  typed it large so you might take it in. Jersey actually has a major international finance centre, is it possible you could stop taking us for a load of complete bloody idiot's. It is difficult for you of course; you have to sell hardcopy at 45p a time. So headlines are needed, fair play, but if I may offer a suggestion, I am not the only one that actually went to, now what do they call it,
oh yes,............................... school.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:58:16 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Jack

JEP- is it worth buying ?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 07:41:13 AM »
Is the JEP worth buying, well, yes, if you want to find out the births, deaths, marriages, tide-tables, T.V. guide (yawn!), ads in the classifieds, and who has won this years flower show, blah, blah, blah........

And as you said, it is not the JEP staff, but the Editor.

The JEP is really the voice of just one man, the Editor..........      

I am glad you think for yourself BB, perhaps if many more "free thinking" people thought like you, we would all be in a different society!

Think about it!

After all, is that not why you are all here...................    Isn’t it?

And if you understand what I am saying, then what are YOU going to do about it?

Complain?

To who?

On these forums?

Well carry on, you will complain on these forums until you are purple faced and breathless?

So?

Stop complaining, start "free thinking" (just like BB), exchange information, ideas and make a difference and together shoulder-to-shoulder go and do something about it!

And, as I was told quite recently (and rightly) by another "free thinking person" by private message, if you dont want to "p*ss off"!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:26:50 AM by Jack »
No vote, no voice; no reason to speak your mind, no reason to vote... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason

Offline Eastern correspondent

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »
People buy the JEP not for it's news content - its the classifieds that they buy it for...hatches matches and despatches.

I do think it is high time that they adopted a more radical approach instead of toeing the establishment line, certain personel have been there too long, and it shows!

It's just another arm of the establishment..................tired and in need of reform!

Offline Fritz

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »
Whatever happened to ,"The Jersey Eye". (before ,"tinternet",publication)?

Offline danrok

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
Whatever happened to ,"The Jersey Eye". (before ,"tinternet",publication)?

I remember it, but I can't remember why it died a death.  Was meant to be a challenging, non-establishment paper.

I think the general idea could work well, as an online only newspaper, now that we have the internet.  Lower costs would make it more likely to survive.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
That was my inspiration for, "Not The Jep".(Which is not dead yet,it is just sleeping), LOL.

I had nothing to do with it, but I remember reading it. Thought the original team would have gone online in some form?

Offline Voltaire

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »
wasn't the Island Eye published/edited/owned? by Barry Shelton the accountant that ran in the 2005 Directions?
-----------------------------------------------------
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

Offline !CaveMan

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the print quality has gone from bad to worse lately!
maybe its just the copies I buy, but the pictures are blured some days and some pages appear like the ink has run out the text being so faint to see, then other times huge blobs of ink splatter the pages with creases and folds wrong,  the paper is always a day behind the current news as its printed  & distributed in the mornings, so much for an "Evening Post"
they should be charging 20p a copy thats all its worth in my eyes!

Offline danrok

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 04:53:49 PM »
If you were paying them a lot of money for display advertising, then you could probably sue them, given that they're printing is so shabby.

Offline danrok

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 08:32:54 PM »
Jersey Evening Post's very own B. Riantz has been exposed on this page:
http://stuartsyvret.blogspot.com/2008/09/gotchaaaaaaah.html

Apparently, someone who owns 29 Belmont Road has said that there is no-one of that name living there.

B. Riantz being the not-so-smart establishment spinster.