Author Topic: Jersey Heritage a good Trust ? or commercial pirates- state funded ?  (Read 8672 times)

Offline Dundee

Re: Jersey Heritage a good Trust ? or commercial pirates- state funded ?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 01:29:05 AM »
Heritage I think spent 60K promoting there card scheme and it returned 40K so a loss of 20K, was the scheme worth it in the first place?

When you consider joining the Societe Jersiaise gives you free entry to Heritage sites at a lower cost coupled with its own benefits, I wonder why so many joined the Heritage scheme.

I declare an interest as I am involved with the Societe.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 01:37:02 AM »
Thanks dundee. Why make a yearly scheme instead of offering all round yearly cheaper access to the sites? People will be indecisive at paying a yearly subscription incase they think they may not get their monies worth, but maybe they wouldn't baulk at the idea of getting a cheaper entry without having to pay the yearly fee on the off chance they might just go.

I think the yearly fee basis takes away the off the cuff outings to these places, and then they wonder why they didnt pay a yearly fee the next year when they didnt go because it was too expensive. But, then next year comes along and they think, well we didnt really go many time so why pay for a yearly fee!!

Offline Dundee

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 03:09:59 AM »
Not being aware of exact details it is difficult to say, but I would guess that if it was just at a reduced fee which may still be 5 pounds. There would also perhaps be a lack of local visitors to sites so the subscription method encourages people to visit the sites and most likely spread the word and spend whilst on site. Involving the public in culture and heritage is the problem with ever increasing competition with other past times and interests plus people wanting new and more interesting entertainment, which is one of the criticisms of JH in that they have not changed many of their exhibitions.

I see Hamptonne has held an exhibition, as I said before it needs to diversify and encourage a wider spectrum of people, a farmers/craft market - camping (not highbrow enough for them), and free entry to the cafe/restaurant.

My current concern is the employment of an outside expert from the IOM who has achieved a great deal but with a multi million pound funding from a number of sources not available to us here - lottery funding, National funding schemes, and EU funding, instead we are at the whim of a Minister that often has little or no heritage background, little management skills and will move on after so many years if he still elected in.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
Feelings towards  fish in the sea, the lowland Gorillas and Jersey’s Castles  and buildings of historic importance, all sort of live in the same place with regard to an ongoing importance in my mind.

All three are important and should be protected for the future but in a sensible well managed programme.

The difference obviously is Jersey’s Castles and buildings managed by a  team called Jersey Heritage Trust and headed  by Jon  Carter,  friend of Sir Phillip Bailhache. No sooner  elected than  a cry for more much more money shrieks out from JHT.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/08/25/former-bailiff-proposes-new-fund-for-museums/

I haven’t met one person who is against funding  for Jerseys’ Heritage ( very different from the JH Trust ) to keep the buildings and important artefacts safe and secure but to try and expand a business with visitor numbers dropping , locals being squeezed evermore by stealth taxes and GST is just plain obscene.

Are there any Castles in need of serious structural failure ? no, just a case of  further improving of the Heritage experience by changing a cafés  position, that would never happen in the private sector at a castle site isolated half the day by  the tide , and limited seasonal appeal. The other issue is turning an old farm into self catering, will I suggest, cost  a lot more than the money asked for.

The BBC shows it is in favour of looking after its friends and, in this abysmal piece of reporting quoted below, It forgot to mention the £2.3 million grant  given by ES&P in 2010 and that the grant has increased way beyond inflation over recent years. It should also mention the one of the poor management decisions to spend a £1 million on the  St. James Church refurbishment, and now waste £15,000 a year on scaffolding that has become a local eyesore.

Maintaining Castles is JHT job, not setting up a property portfolio using taxpayers money to offer accommodation to holiday makers, known as empire building. That enterprise belongs with the private risk taking sector, who incidentally also pay taxes on any profits. I suggest if the JHT want to gain the publics respect and they were doing so well, they start selling off the nice but not needed property portfolio for extra funding, not put the bowl out when pensioners are struggling to pay their heating bills, and the out of work figure keeps rising.

BBC.

The trust is given £150,000 annually by the education, sport and culture department to invest in projects.
Jon Carter from the trust hopes to be able to work with the education and economic development departments to find the rest of the money.
New projects would see self-catering units at Hamptonne and more cafes.
The trust is planning projects to raise income and upgrade services including moving the cafe at Elizabeth Castle to the Gate House.
And the seating at Gorey Castle could be raised to give customers a better view.
Mr Carter said visitor surveys in 2011 taken at Elizabeth Castle highlighted the need for improvements to catering facilities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-15446024

BB
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:08:16 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
I would personally like to have a complete listing of people in charge of Jersey Heritage and Jersey Heritage Trust.

I would also like to see a complete listing of staff employed and what they do!  I would hate to think nepotism was rife.

Cali  :(
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Dundee

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »
I would personally like to have a complete listing of people in charge of Jersey Heritage and Jersey Heritage Trust.

I would also like to see a complete listing of staff employed and what they do!  I would hate to think nepotism was rife.

Cali  :(

http://www.jerseyheritage.org/about-us

Director
Jonathan Carter

Finance Director
Philip Thomas

Board of Trustees
Mr C Jones (Chairman)

Jurat P Nicolle (Vice Chairman)
Mr J Clarke
Connetable S Crowcroft
Mr J Voak
Mr Peter Funk
Mr Bob Hassell
Mr Mark Oliver
Mrs Eve de Gruchy
Professor Ed Sallis
Ms Kate Kirk

some years ago I was nominated for the board but they rejected me, it was said I was not worthy enough, but it was probably more down to personal snobbery.

The call for funding no doubt coincides with some new and naive politicians that think throwing money at JHT will improve their PR, also the forthcoming cultural conference where certain bodies flag up what a bunch of luvvies they are and how they deserve more money to keep them to the manner they are accustomed to, saidly Deputy Reed has not a clue what is really going on so just goes with the gravy train flow. The conference has interestingly enough the following speakers: Professor John Holden - the importance of cultural diplomacy (he could start with the Deputy!), Philip Spedding - New sources of funding for the arts. Stephen Feber - the story of Jersey he is working for JHT so not sure why he is coming to public at this late stage, he has obviously been paid and done his work and will now tell us how wonderful and beneficial doing sch things are, I suppose they are if you have someone daft enough to throw money your way.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 05:57:40 AM »
The ex Auditor General Big Chris Swinson told Jersey after investigating the Jersey Heritage Trust a business  that expected to put their hands out and receive taxpayers money to spend at will, he was right, and nothing has changed.

Further time wise down the road from that report, a big grant to JHT,  guaranteed by Education each and every year should be enough.

The Treasury Minister expects departments to become more efficient as the tax returns shrivel what does Jersey Heritage boss Jon Carter tell us " we expected a £300,000 handout from the lottery to invest in a series of projects.

So as the hospital services, education, tax allowances, are all cut back and a host of stealth taxes are levied on the islanders ( with more to come ) Mr Carter feels that unlike the private sector businesses who are struggling in the recession he should be given another third of a million pounds.

You really could not make it up because Mr Carter also tells us,

Trust director Jon Carter said he thought everyone agreed to the need for investment

Nope wrong again Mr Carter,  ask the unemployed and workers who have not had a wage increase, the elderly whose savings are not helping their quality of life because inflation is racing ahead of meagre interest on earnings and a shortage of nurses and ……………………..    and ………………………..  and ………………

Jersey heritage faces shortfall due to lottery apathy ( or not being able to run a business efficiently before or in a downturn )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-19755779

Boatyboy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:10:19 AM by boatyboy »

Offline man in the street

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
 heritage , the black hole .
  whilst it is good to rember the islands  rich heritage ,  the squander must stop  the buildings  are in a fair condition ,  so other than a  bit of  painting of  windows  and other  exterior  wood finishes  little would need to be done  apart from keeping the  sites  from becoming over grown,  so the spend  could be scaled down , imho.
  and pet projects  halted.
 as you say boatboy , there  are other area's  where cash  should be used .
 and mr carter and co ,  put away the rose tinnted specks.

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »
Jersey Heritage pays a fairly large sum on rental of the Maritime Museum to Jersey Harbours. If they didn't have to - if they'd been ceded the land - like the States were happy to do with WEB - they would not be facing funding problems.

Jersey Harbour is being told to pay its way more, so increasing rents is one option. Said rent increases mean less net income from the Maritime Museum, and the money channeled into central coffers from that rental. Money then has to come out of central coffers to support Heritage. It's a lunatic silo mentality, but it's how the Civil Service departments work. Crazy!

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
 the maritime museumis a good thing, but i have not a clue if it makes any money.
 the fact that one states department is paying to another department , for a collective states venture  is daft , imho.
 more of robbing peter to pay  paul.
 i am suprised that the  maritime  museum  has not being given the heave ho  and waterfront  apartments  for the rich , built there .

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:10 AM »
The Maritime Museum is probably one of the most profitable ventures, with themed history stuff in winter months (half term, Christmas), and visiting yachts (it's right next to where they come to St Helier).

Online Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »
I believe things like the maritime museum should not have to pay rent or rates because it is helping the island to remember it's history etc and it makes money from the tourists.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 03:58:16 AM »
08 March 2013
Jersey Heritage has been awarded a £199,000 grant by the Tourism Development Fund

The Chairman of the Tourism Development Panel, Peter Funk, said "The Tourism Development Fund is delighted to support this very special project. There is a huge level of interest in archaeological discovery and Jersey has a unique story to tell, which we believe will be an integral part of Jersey’s tourism offering in the years to come.”

JHT Board of Trustees
Mr C Jones (Chairman)
Mr Peter Funk (Vice Chairman)

Anyone spot something not quiet right?

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »

I seriously thought you were taking the micky dundee, so went looking and found the article.

An absolute scandal, Mr Funk should be dumped sitting on both the giving and receiving panels. How on earth do these people get on the gravy train when the States are making cutbacks to front line services in a deepening recession ?  It needs explaining how digging holes in the ground attracts thousands of visitors.

By the way the money was not given to Jersey Heritage which is owned by Jersey residents and future generations. It was given to Jon Carter of the quango and charity " Jersey Heritage Trust " which is an organisation that competes with taxpaying private business in various activities but pays no tax yet gets given hundreds of thousands of pounds by way of a grant from Education. No cut backs here obviously.

Channel TV.

Jersey Heritage has been given thousands of pounds to fund a three year archaeological project.

The £199,000 grant given by the Tourism Department Fund will be used to explore Jersey's ancient history.

Peter Funk, Chairman of the Tourism Development Panel said: "The Tourism Development Fund is delighted to be able to support this very special project.

There is a huge level of interest in archaeological discovery and Jersey has a unique story to tell which we believe will be an integral part of Jersey’s tourism offering in the years to come."

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline%5Fjerseynews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=504221

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 12:45:39 AM »
 the quangoes  should of being  ditched ages ago,  too costly  and  do very little , imo. 
 if  it  generates  any buisiness , i will be  astounded   .
 more  clutching  at straws. and more of  the jersey way.
 but then our states members are jelly fish  when it comes  to  saying no to squander.
  maybe  someone  will  want  to make a film  about  the dig and  cop a load more free cash.