Author Topic: The Bus Service  (Read 7076 times)

Offline jerseyscholes

Re: The Bus Service
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »
I've given up on the buses. I now ride my bike to anywhere local and hire a car with Sixt if I need to travel further or carry heavy items. Better for the island, my pocket and my patience! I really love the hire car idea. No maintenance but available whenever I want. So accessible and beats the bus any day.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:32:38 PM by jerseyscholes »

Offline jerseyscholes

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
Not sure if anyone experienced this lately. Take a look at the  impact of the strikes. I had a friend who suffered a little in this mess!

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »
I use the bus most days and find them on the whole okay and affordable.  We are a very car orientated island and most people would rather pay 75p an hour to park than get the bus.  I have to say that the bus service to St Ouen has really improved and there is now an 11.15pm from town, if I so wished to venture to the metropolis.   

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 12:40:52 AM »

Let us put this into perspective. In the restaurant having the same meal the couple opposite pay half the price you have just paid, how does that work ? What on earth are CT Plus up to ? Thinking their customers will be happy with this dogs dinner price structure having something called an Ormer card. Is this strange charging, coming to Jersey.   

The management of this company are looking decidedly incompetent.

Guernsey press.

In proposals for its winter timetable, the firm is attempting to improve significantly services to the west coast. Their reduction has been a source of consistent complaints by residents.

And in an attempt to remove the potential for confrontation between passengers and drivers over fares, CT Plus wants to make the cheaper £1 rate available to Ormer card holders only.

The different charges for locals and visitors have been hugely controversial, but the operator is standing firm on the two-tier tariffs of £1 and £2.

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/news/2013/08/30/buses-carry-an-ormer-card-or-pay-double/

bb

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 12:45:07 AM »
Lovely welcome to the visitors coming to Guernsey. Nice way to kill off the tourist industry.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 02:41:48 AM »
CT Plus are back in the headlines yet again today as their Guernsey workforce announce a two-day strike this week. The report featured a driver called Reece who has resigned and plans to leave Guernsey. He spoke of shifts starting at 6.30 am and ending about 9.45 pm. Apparently he gets 5 or 6 hours off during the day, but that is obviously not sleeping time:

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=507025

Given the known risks of driving when you are tired, it is all quite troubling. We naturally have an interest in this here in Jersey too, as what happens there today is likely to happen at Liberty Bus here in Jersey soon (if it isn't happening already).

It might be worth mentioning that several years ago, I was also having to work late night shifts in a job (but thankfully not driving). Most of the time, I wasn't rostered on the earliest shift the morning after, which was a relief. However, I recall one sadist manager who just didn't give a damn and rostered me with late shifts followed by early shifts the next day several times in the same week, which was extremely disrupting to my body clock. I was also not being given standard rest breaks during shifts. It prompted me to take a look at what legal protection Jersey workers have with regards to rest breaks and breaks between shifts.

In the UK, I would have been covered by the Working Time Directive. To be honest, the rest break entitlement is nothing to be envious about there either- an employee has to work for 6 hours just to become entitled to one paltry rest break of 20 minutes. That is hardly enough if you have to go to a cafe or similar premises to purchase something to eat and drink before even sitting down for your break. You probably wouldn't have time to finish a hot meal and hot drink in 20 minutes. As for breaks between shifts, the Directive entitles a worker to a minimum of 11 hours rest, whereas I recall having breaks of less than 11 hours rest on a handful of occasions in my former employment.

However, when I checked for equivalent legislation in effect in Jersey, I found nothing at all. So my conclusion is that workers in Jersey have no statutory rights when it comes to rest breaks and rest between shifts. Unless your employer specifically writes the rest break entitlement into your contract of employment, you probably just have to hope that your employer is reasonable and gives you regular breaks anyway, as you won't have a legal leg to stand on.  :(

(If anyone knows better on this, please put me right).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:45:51 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
Deputy Eddie Noel wants to take more money from your disposable shrinking income by increasing parking charges excessively. I have strong views on this subject as a car is essential for families and individuals to commute and to get to work.

Deputy Noel, mentions the big stick approach, wonderful weapon to use on those that voted for you Eddie ? Does this mean all the those thousands of parking spaces used free of charge by the public sector and States members will be affected. Not a chance. Ben Shenton puts the case for do as you are told, not what we do rather well please see below. If this is the best Deputy Noel can come up with he should resign.

From Ben Shenton.

I READ with interest the front page story (JEP 23 March) about how the environmental targets won’t be met unless parking charges are raised to make it more difficult and less convenient for the public to visit St Helier. It reminded me of a meeting when I was Health Minister.
Some highly paid civil servant had come up with the idea that people driving in from the west would only be able to park in car parks on the western side of town, drivers from the east only in car parks on the eastern side of town, etc, etc.

The concept was that it would reduce congestion, and force the public to walk across town if their place of work was on the other side of St Helier – thereby getting them more healthy, some would be persuaded to use the bus.

The fact that it got on to the agenda to be discussed showed that it had support from other senior civil servants. Discussion of the item did not take long for a number of reasons. Firstly, I noted that out of the seven of us at the meeting – one politician and six civil servants – none of us actually paid for parking, used the public car parks, or would be affected by the policy – hardly an objective group to make a decision.

Secondly, car drivers live in a real world rather than an idealistic environmentalist’s world. In the real world money is tight, it rains, it is cold in winter, goods can be heavy to carry, unloading a car with young children in it can take ten minutes, walking long distances can be difficult for some, we buy cars for a reason, and we pay our taxes to have a comfortable life.

When I suggested that the civil servants present lead by example and give up their free parking the idea was immediately dropped – as I knew it would be. It is very rare for the States to ever implement a policy that is detrimental to the public sector. The Environment Minister wants more expensive parking, excluding of course the large amount of free parking at the Environment Department.

Free parking is prevalent throughout the public sector and this needs to be addressed before any attack on the season ticket and paycard buyers – who already pay enough. The policy also hits those who are already struggling most with higher taxes and costs.

Senior industry personnel and wealthy individuals have paid allocated private parking in town and, like many public sector workers, won’t be affected.
Therefore instead of hitting the shoppers and real-world Jersey people who use public car parks with higher parking charges, how about providing a car-friendly town so drivers don’t drive around for hours looking for a parking space. Environmental aims should be both realistic and attainable.

Government should lead by example, and endeavour to deliver what the public want – not force others to suffer from an unrealistic ideology while driving into their reserved parking space paid for by the taxpayer. (NB I use a motorcycle).

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2015/03/26/parking-price-rise-a-stealth-tax-to-pay-for-bus-service/

bb
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:54:40 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
Another good article from Tony, in response to plans by that dithering dipstick, Deputy Eddie Noel, to make pensioners with bus passes pay to use the bus service during peak times in future. Tony made a Freedom of Information request, received a response which he described as "manipulative" and then calculated from the figures provided that on average, only 2.5 pensioners per bus are using their bus passes to travel into town between 7.00am and 8.30am. This average number of pensioners per bus is even lower if you include journeys going out of St Helier in the calculation. The potential saving to the taxpayer from implementing this proposed measure is therefore negligible, as he points out here:

Even if pensioners paid full price we are talking less than £1,000 per week which is alleged loss in revenue, say £50,000 per year. This is a pitiful saving if that is what is intended. That is not even half of Philip Ozouf’s expenses account! It is clear that the Minister is scraping the bottom of the barrel for savings.

Activity, as Sir Humphrey says in “Yes Minister” is politician's substitute for achievement. In the absence of any really effective cuts, Eddie Noel is trying to show he is doing something by nibbling away at the edges

http://tonymusings.blogspot.com/2015/08/pensioners-bus-fares-manipulating.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-33721318

The FOI response didn't provide any similar statistics in relation to the later rush hour at 5pm, suggesting that the States doesn't have these figures. It will therefore be interesting to see whether Noel's plan to charge pensioners also includes the 5pm rush hour and if it does, whether he actually has any clue as to how many pensioners are using their bus passes to travel at that time. I would suspect that the numbers are a fair bit higher at 5pm than in the morning peak time, but still not enough to justify removing this concession.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 01:10:01 AM »
A good blog by Tony B. and a prime example of what a useless Minister Noel is.

Apart from other considerations the ridiculous notion that it would be permissible for pensioners to travel outside peak times 'if they have a Hospital appointment' is farcical. Yes - bus drivers, already on a very tight schedule will love the idea of perusing hospital letters to see if they can 'allow' pensioners aboard, and what about Data Protection?? 'OOo did you know that Mrs Cucumber from outer St. Marys has got an STD'.

Wide open to ridicule, abuse and an utter nonsense Mr Noel.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:02:11 PM by GeeGee »

Offline man in the street

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
Gee gee. Mrs cucumber has to supplement her meager  state pension some how.
 The amount she gets from the government is hardly enough to eat and keep warm  in winter.
And as. She cannot afford  a car , has no option. But to use public  transport. To service her clients.
Yet anther attack of  went work. All their live, payed their way  , for what one may ask.
 To be robbed. By a government. Who know nothing more than  taxes and cutting. Services .