Author Topic: Sea Lettuce  (Read 844 times)

Offline ageofaquarius

Sea Lettuce
« on: August 11, 2015, 01:16:51 AM »

The green slime that has been taking over West park to St Aubins bay for the last 10 years suddenly has the big house taking note, not before time.  Once upon a time the southwest coast was full of happy families bathing, building sandcastles, sunbathing and walking. Now the only people who use it are the fok at the gunsite with their boats and the odd handglider.

It has been suggested that  this is caused by the effluent thats pours into the sea from millbrook, with the chemicals that are added at source, causing a build up over the years of what we now have on the southwest beach - pure shit. 

I note no other coastline suffers from this problem.  So anyone got any suggestions?

Online shortport

Re: Sea Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 03:31:30 AM »
I'm guessing its a combination of the overuse of nitrates on the land going into the bay,the fact that St.Aubins is very shallow so the water is warmer aiding to the growth of the lettuce and last but not least the reclamation site which in effect has enclose the bay and changed the way the tides flow in and out of the bay.Of these the only one we can change is the discharge of nitrates into the bay,but like our asbestos mountain I very much doubt it will be dealt with,especially with so much money needed to prop up the finance industry,the welfare of our island is falling way behind.

Online Fritz

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 04:37:29 AM »
Its all down to the old,"Reclamation site". St Aubins Bay has been turned into a ,"Trap", (In plumbing terms). The tide used to rush,in both directions, a couple of times a day and,"Cleanse", the bay no matter what found its way in there from whatever source.
Because of the reclamation site,"What gets in the bay, stays in the bay". Its not Rocket Science.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
Back in the 70;s when we were on the long hot summer holidays from school. And had a booming tourist industry
And we had a laugh over here,before becoming drunk with greed and money.

We had sea lettuce,we swam in it,chucked it at one another,not problem.
West park was always the stinky beach,if you wanted better you walked past first tower and on to bel Royal.
For cleaner sands.
There could be sea lettuce there too.
It was in the shallows but you could swim or wade past it.
I think the government are employing a expert to deal with it.
For the next governmental trick.
They will employ some one to turn lead into gold..

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 04:00:25 PM »
They use private firms to remove the sea lettuse. Well why does't TTs do the job they have the equipment and if they are doing that or something else it still just costs the wages of the staff and not paying over the top for private business to do it.
There again some minister knows a friend in that line of work and gets a back hand i am sure.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:56:35 AM »
I guess it would cost more for TTS to do it, as they are not on minimum wage as perhaps the private company is.