Author Topic: Mental Health Care  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Hayesann

Mental Health Care
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »
Does the £2 Million bill for the General Hospital, mean the postponed re furbishment of Rosewood House be delayed? Again, as the full re fit was cancelled over 1 year ago. Lack of funds was the reason given, I believe. I ask as I visit there regulary.

Jason the Maverick

Re: Mental Health Care
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:49:51 AM »
A lack of funds for health care? Whilst they give a barking mad Deputy Chief Officer an open cheque book to dig up non existent dead people? 

This Island really has to start concentrating on its priorities.

Chief Minister

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
Is it really bad?  I did hear rumours that the building was crumbling.

Offline Hayesann

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:37 AM »
The Building does not appear to be crumbling. The Building is opposite to St Saviours Hospital. The person I visit has Dementia, He deserves the same good surrondings as down the JGH?

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
I don't like the way this is starting to sound.  Are people in this awful predicament being shuffled into a tatty care place?

Offline Tory Boy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:01:02 PM »
Its the States, they don't care about the elderly.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
I don't think they really care about anybody.  Unless you have some money of course!

Offline Hayesann

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »
I believe as over heard! That the re fit is postponed again!!! Due to the fact there is NO place available for one of the wards to move too. Fair? No way!!!!! :-\

Offline guardianofthetower

Re:Psychiatric patients
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »
The current policy of discharging psychiatric patients into the care of GPs may cut costs but is causing tremendous problems for the patients as they are left in no-man's land without a safety net. Most GPs have little experience of dealing with mental health problems and are unhappy to be forced into doing so.The patients are reassured by the Psychiatric Dept that should they become seriously ill,help is only a phone call away. This is not true. Patients are been turned away from the A+E Dept without seeing a psychiatrist and those lucky few who see a psychiatrist cannot be admitted to hospital because of lack of beds.
 As Jersey has a higher suicide rate than UK, surely it is vitally important for money to be spent on psychiatric care.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:36 AM »
 As Jersey has a higher suicide rate than UK, surely it is vitally important for money to be spent on psychiatric care.

I think the budget was used up by paying to put fencing around the upper levels of public car parks.

Offline nlel

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 11:56:18 PM »
I have been admitted to St Saviours hospital 4 or 5 times over the last 10 years or so. Was first admitted in March 2004 and stayed at the old Chausey ward in the main building at St Saviours. I was prescribed a powerful anti-psychotic called Risperidone and as far as I can remember I checked out voluntarily. I ended up back in there in September that year due to a relapse of my symptoms I think I stayed a bit longer that time.

I was discharged and then stopped taking the prescribed medication in October 2005 due to the unpleasant side effects. Ended up back in St Saviours in April 2006 after my GP was called out and diagnosed me as psychotic (heard voices) which was followed by a trip down to A&E where they persuaded me to go into hospital. An ambulance took me there and then later that day they tried to get me to take some medication which I refused so they sectioned me.

Later that first evening I continued to resist treatment so they wrestled me to the ground and injected me with a sedative. Ended up staying there for 3 months and was one of the first patients to move into the newly refurbished Orchard House unit.

I was discharged in June 2006 into the Clairvale road recovery unit where I stayed until November 2006 when I was moved into social housing and was put onto a depot injection of Risperidone Consta to assure I was compliant. Everything was fine until December 2008 when I had a second major psychotic episode despite taking the medication supplied.

This time I believed I had been cursed and it was black magic, was in Guernsey at my sisters at the time and she had to call the police to take me away to the Princess Elizabeth Hospital where again they persuaded me to go into the Castel hospital, later that first evening they gave me something which knocked me out, I remember staggering around and then nothing.

Stayed in the Castel Hospital Guernsey over New Year 2009 until I was due back to Jersey when two members of staff accompanied me back to Jersey on the Condor Fast Ferry, was met by my CPN at the harbour and whisked up to Orchard House where I spent the next few months and was discharged in March 2009.

Haven't been back since and am now on Clozopine which has reduced some unpleasant symptoms I was having and I haven't been back in hospital for four years now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:02:36 AM by nlel »