Author Topic: Fish Market  (Read 1085 times)

Offline ageofaquarius

Fish Market
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:17:10 AM »

I heard today that the Fish market will soon be no more.  Find that hard to believe, but there is a rumour going around so something must be going on.  Anyone out there heard anything about this ?

Offline moot

Re: Fish Market
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:26:28 AM »
I heard there is something fishy going on  ;D

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:03:07 PM »
Maybe something to do with the disastrous winter the fishermen had, the effect of that must have been felt at the market. Wonder what the rents are in the fish market?

The supermarkets now have fresh fishmongers which has no doubt made an impact. I personally would hate seeing the fish market closing, its an institution and what about the cafe and restaurant  :(

Offline man in the street

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
that would be a big shame if it was to close .
 tourists love it  and  i like to look  at  the  prices  and  the   fish on offer .
 the   fish  stalls on the harbour  are now  doing  good trade , just   drive down , park up  get  your   seafood  and  go.
  no  paycards  required  and no looking  for   a space  to park .
  parking in  st helier  should be  free  on  a  saturday   ,  sadly  a  thing  that  the public  slept  walked into  without   any protest.
   the  even older   fish market became  telecoms   car park .
 fish is not  cheap  anymore ( what is  food wise ),  so  maybe  folk  are not buying it .
 two  bream  the other  day were  five pounds  each .
  so  we  were up  to a  tenner   for  our  evening meal  and  still had no  new  spuds and a veg  to  go  with  the  fish .
 bottle  of  nice  wine  with it all ,  sadly  a  thing of  the past  these  days .

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:47:51 AM »
Being an Island we need to support our fisherman and fish is a far healthy dinner than meat.  £10 for a decent dinner is not expensive these days but the supermarkets (Waitrose for eg) are doing a good trade, bought 2 fillet bass for £8, I call that a bargain but would cost more than that in the fish market.

I just wonder what/who else would trade from there?  :-\

Offline moot

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:00:07 AM »
The supermarkets is one reason but the Jersey Fresh fish company near Victoria pier has been growing fast and is slowly becoming a mini-supermarket selling all sorts Their growth is mainly down to providing very fresh fresh and a very friendlly service. The Italian-type delicatessen in the market is moving elsewhere leaving just 3 fish traders and 2 cafes.