Author Topic: Changing job, moving house? You must pay £75 for no reason  (Read 1360 times)

Offline danrok

Changing job, moving house? You must pay £75 for no reason
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:28:15 PM »
The cards, which cost £75 and replaced the social security card, are required by anyone who changes job, moves house or arrives to live in Jersey.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-25879192

Just about everyone in Jersey will, at some point have to pay £75 for a plastic card.

How is this cost justified?  Seems like a rip-off to me.  Is the States of Jersey broke, or is this just pay for politicians' and senior civil servants' "business trips" (known as free holidays to the rest of us)?

Offline ageofaquarius

Re: Changing job, moving house? You must pay £75 for no reason
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »
Well not everyone, as I have no intention of selling up or changing my job I and many like me will be exempt from this overpriced exercise.  Can't see where £75 came from, seems a tad too high, £12 should cover it.

Offline danrok

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
No-one is exempt. If you are made redundant, you will have to cough up £75 before starting a new job.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »
A disgrace.  I am trying to deal with a dept from SS and found them to be robots ' computer says no' types and cant/wont see out of the box.  Anything not to show initiative. Don't get me started, if I'm made redundant can't honestly seeing me getting another job, not at £75 a throw - even agencies don't charge that!!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »

I thought Jersey residents were excluded from this silly charge and it only applied to outsiders seeking work ?

This cannot be for everyone, locals and all ???

bb

Offline danrok

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »
Seems it's not so bad if you are "entitled" (lived here for 10 years or more), then the card is free.

http://www.gov.je/Working/Contributions/RegistrationCards/Pages/MovingHouseJob.aspx

Offline man in the street

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 03:20:36 AM »
 i think this only applies to new arrivals .
 i am  born here  and got one free .  you  can  bet  your  bottom  dollar  that  if ihad  to  i  would not pay for one  ,  load of  cobblers , no photo   does  any one  want   to use mine  for  some  thing .(  small percentage )
  and   a  cut of  the  action .