Author Topic: Why should a middle of the road right wing Conservative march this Saturday ?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline boatyboy

Why should a centre right, Jersey conservative type like me, bother to go to the Royal square on Saturday, this is the question ?

Visiting an very old friend who is very ill in Overdale made me feel disgusted with the likes of Le Gresley and I admit to shedding a tear as I left, after what his wife under tremendous strain told me.

You see my friends loving wife close to tears said that he can be taken home { which they own } and looked after by his family but they have to pay £52,000 to the states for all the extra ongoing treatment he needs, staying in Overdale was not an option. An expensive private nursing home charging thousands is completely out of the question.

A few days later, Le Gresley announces that he is doing a favour for all you house owners. You don’t have to sell them he proudly announces just give us an extra £52,000. The last straw of a another failed policy, by a failed majority Government.

Hold on,  people like my friend, myself and maybe you, who have worked hard, scrimped and saved and paid all taxes, the social, the insurance and every other damn user pays charge, the Government invents, and in his hour of need the States are supposed to give  “ Social security “ and come to his aid. What make this worse is that this man gave years of honoury public service using his own free time.

How can this be called social security ? when you have to start selling the family silver or house or take out loans, after a life time of work ?

There is no need for me to start reeling off a list of waste full spending by this tax and spend, spend, spend Government who then slyly increase the parking, and other charges by stealth to keep the money flowing in, then politicians fly off to Barbados or some other far flug place staying in the best hotels all paid for by you and I. No wonder they are running out of money.

If they really cared for the majority of islanders like my friend and his family they would be far more careful and caring. Is the latest old fashioned un real  “ no “ decision on Gay marriage important yes, as it follows in the mould of previous decisions like hijacking electoral reform, using tax payers money to fund office blocks pet projects, and to pay senior civil servants for failure. Enough is clearly enough and to go for an hour on Saturday people from all walks of life will send a message.

My personal message is,

I have had enough of your public purse funded mace parties, and oil paintings and weird data protection laws. Your wasteful spending on lime Grove, and incinerators that don’t work properly and hospital waiting lists that are long and painful for islanders -  but short for the wealthy that can pay. Enough of your lies and spin.

This march is a statement that people have had enough.

Boatyboy.

AKA

Paul Letherbarrow
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:08:39 PM by boatyboy »

Offline GeeGee

Well said BB, and I reckon that your sentiments echo those of many, many in this Island. The scenario of the lady whose husband is ill, and has to have care in the home at a very high cost is not the first time I have heard of this. Causing great distress to people in their twilight years just shows how uncaring this Government and in particular its Ministers are. Get off the gravy train States Members and try and comprehend how the 'other half' live.

I think that failure to do this may well result in many more rallies in the future. The people have had enough >:( >:(

Offline Chevalier Blanc

It is a lie that you do not have to sell your home if you go into an old age care home.
You will not have to sell it but the family member who inherits it will either have to borrow the money or sell to go the states the £52,000
Sounding great until you learn the small details which were never explained in the chamber just you do not have to sell your home.
I believe everybody should march to show just how out of touch the majority of states member are!
Come October please please get out and vote the bad apples in the states.

Offline boatyboy

Thanks Gee Gee and you are correct Chevalier -  this was pushed through with almost a half asleep nod. Why tell your kids to work hard and be a good citizen and struggle to get your own property when Government undermines the very people that have contributed to the islands revenue through taxes etc.

The new Deputies are kicking back at an old fashioned not fit for purpose majority of self interest based, ivory tower long term old boys club. There are some very good states members  however who research, work hard, and try to  hold other politicians to account, but more importantly care about the quality of lives of PEOPLE, sadly a small minority.

I do not agree with some of the lefts ideals they know this, nor the rights actually, but - doing something - to protect your future and that of your children is becoming a priority on this island. You have an opportunity this Saturday. If you cannot be bothered or are not convinced then I ask you this.

Why when Jersey has close to £700 million in the bank, is the Government allowing the Treasury MInister to borrow £250 million ? Why have 75% of islanders no faith in the states according to a recent  JEP poll ?

I suggest it may be to make sure the savings in the bank will guarantee pay for senior public sector employees, and their pensions and bonuses, for friends who sit on quangos, who must be awarded big bucks ( your money ) and remember the boss of JT just got a £118,000 bonus and that is payment for failure if you take the billing mess and £40 million states JT grant for fibre optic installation which is going badly wrong.

Add to that an extravagant politico that must fly around the world first class, and be kept in 5 star hotels, then ask yourself is it no wonder the islanders keep on getting more money taken from their dwindling disposable income. Remember the desperately needed womens refuge is now struggling for funds after more cutbacks, and pre natal classes to help expectant mothers in child birth are being reduced due to cutbacks.  Why ?

One day the states will be made to listen, will it be when the cupboard is empty ? when we are taken independent by a clique at the top ? when the islands all island speed limit is reduced to 20 mph and motorcylists and cyclists are charged for parking ? Or when islanders are so broke through Government follies and being over taxed they get desperate.

Enough is enough of this Government silliness, not only for gays but, for yourself and your family and friends.

Saturday is a good day to stand up and start to be counted along with hundreds maybe thousands of others to sent a strong message.

It has to start at some time somewhere, your choice.

Further information from VFC blogg just in with a decent video inviting all groups and peoples

http://voiceforchildren.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/equality-parade.html

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:02:04 AM by boatyboy »

Offline shortport

While I agree with the postings here about social security,whats attending a protest about gay marriage got to do with it?I certainly will not be supporting a protest for gay marriage as it is ill thought out and hasn't been debated nearly enough for consideration.But if there was a protest about how islanders are getting treated,about how the tax burden has been put onto the individual with companies paying no tax,about uncontrolled immigration and its effect on the island,its infrastructure and environment then I would attend.

Offline Fritz

While I agree with the postings here about social security,whats attending a protest about gay marriage got to do with it?I certainly will not be supporting a protest for gay marriage as it is ill thought out and hasn't been debated nearly enough for consideration.But if there was a protest about how islanders are getting treated,about how the tax burden has been put onto the individual with companies paying no tax,about uncontrolled immigration and its effect on the island,its infrastructure and environment then I would attend.
Sounds about right to me shortport.
 Gay marriiage is way down in the list of things that are important to most Islanders.

Offline Little Bob

But when do you start shortpoint? If people are fed up of how they are treated, then the public revolt has to start somewhere. Why not now with the the topic that is most "topical" that everyone is aware of. People have short memories when it comes to politics and will often forget what a member did six months ago, many at the voting polls picked the name that they had seen in the paper more often recently.

Whilst you may not agree with gay marriage, how can you expect that the States get to grips with other important issues if they refuse to allow all people to be treated equally in the simple respects of marriage. The vote to "delay" was not about looking into the alleged impact of it, which is already known when they discussed civil partnerships (there was no impact other than upsetting the religious extremists) The vote to delay the subject is to put it back till after the elections, so it is not a voting issue. Using the "time for study" is the get out cause.

If people turn up to this rally, it would, hopefully, send a message that the public are fed up of the states behaviour, It would be a starting point to remind the members that they are ment to represent us, not treat us like dirt.

Perhaps then, they may start to face the important issues before next year.

Offline shortport

I'm sorry but I disagree.If there is a big turnout it will be seen as people supporting gay marriage not all the other problems facing the island.If Reform Jersey were to have the same aggression with a meeting about government transparency,tax etc,i'm sure many more people would attend.Unfortunately he seems obsessed with the gay debate rather than the bigger picture and more pressing issues.Personally I am very disappointed with Reform Jersey and their recent behaviour,i had all intentions of voting for them but now am having second thoughts.The way they behaved over this gay marriage is very immature and condescending to anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Offline boatyboy

You obviously have not seen the VFC video shortport, it explains much, and straight from the organisers of Tadier and Le Cornu. I doubt that you would have written what you did had you viewed it.

BB

Offline shortport

thanks i'll take a look at it

Offline boatyboy

Just a quicky as the actress said to the Bishop.

The Rally/ March went exceptionally well today, and thought I  would just add a few observations most of tem positive.
It was well organised and cheerful, the live music was an excellent touch. Channel TV and the BBC both reported the event on the internet see below, the JEP however did some thing rather strange as nothing at the time of writing has appeared on it web site they normally do ?

It must be worrying for the old guard, that Sam Mezec, and the reform party in three or four days can organise an event whereby hundreds gather, This must be of some concern. Philip Ozouf spoke about something that is very close to his heart, but he is also bright enough to know an election is very close, and recent history shows he is not the flavour of the months.

You just have to love the JEP for being so out of touch with its readers. Islanders actually bother to do something special and constructive, to get a message over to Government and what does the islands only excuse for a newspaper put up on its web site, two policeman holding tasers in a threatening manner. For Gods sake grow up.

‘Have a good weekend all.

Video by VFC of today.

http://voiceforchildren.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/jersey-equality-march-1.html

Media

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-28276436

Dear oh dear.

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2014/07/12/tasers-issued-to-new-police-officers/

BB
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:49:01 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Fritz

Was quite impressed by the turnout for this hastily arranged rally/march today.
I had to give my 14yr old daughter a lift into town because she was so keen to attend.
Thought it was funny when she explained to me that she wasn,t gay,(As if it would matter), but wanted to show her support for the cause, as did many of her friends.
Great to see youngsters getting involved in politics.

Offline gladiator

Fritz

Made me smile reading your story of your daughter! You obviously have raised your daughter in a way that you should be proud of! She shows compassion, respect and political initiative. Personality features you would hope that a lot of young people would have.

She shows more understanding of the real world than some in the establishment, I wonder where she gets that from ? ;)

Offline man in the street

looks like it  was  a  fair  turnout .
  with a good  cross section of  the public .
  as you  say BB.
  police  get  training  for  tazers. from  the jersey  evening  propaganda .
 which  brings me  to  the advert   for our next  unelected  , by  the public  chief minister.
  sadly it  did not have a none of  the above button.
  these people  think  they  will just be  returned  to  the  states  chamber .
  all  so it  was  good news  to here  that  fritz's  daughter  was at  the  rally .
  young  folk  are our  future ,  i  do hope that  your daughters  friends  will  take a interest in their island .
 and hope  they  will all  turn out  to  vote  in  a  couple of  years  time .
 i am  not  joking  when i say  that by  then ,  we have  the young  party.
 i  will live in  interesting  times.