Author Topic: Fibre optic cable.  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Fibre optic cable.
« on: January 13, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »
Since having the fibre cable installed in my house every time there is a lightening strike the phone gets knocked out.
The internet  still works. It have taken 3 weeks to have the fault repaired.
It knocks out the one part of the new box that JT fitted.
Never had this trouble wire copper wires.
I did not ask for the fibre cable.

Offline man in the street

Re: Fibre optic cable.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
 i did hear that someone with fibre  had the box  in one of the rooms in the house  was  fine  till  jt  came  round  and moved it  again
  the  wireless    signel  worked  fine in  the  old location  ,  but as its  a granite house ,  does not  work now  they put  in another room (  router).
 it will be two years  till  jt can make  up my street  so my fibre  is  still on a drum  not connected  but  were i want  it  ,  in the loft  as  a point of distribution .
 also  i hear that the copper line  will be switched off in the future

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:02 AM »
By the time JT get their fibre-optic service to me, (Sept 2015 according to their online advice), it will probably be obsolete.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:57:15 AM »
The fibre optic box that JT fit must not be more than 1 metre inside your house owing to the possibility of it catching fire. That is the rule that they must work to.
I cannot get a good signal if I am 22ft away from the box, I am lucky that my den room is only 10ft from it so a have a very strong signal.
All in all it was better on the old copper cable. Never had any trouble what so ever phone or internet.

Offline shortport

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:18:16 AM »
I had fibre installed not so long ago.
There was absolutely no difference between the old copper one.I doudt if you'll notice any differenc unless you pay through the nose for the higher speeds ,(which you could of done on copper anyway)

Offline Tosh

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:23:28 AM »
The fibre optic box that JT fit must not be more than 1 metre inside your house owing to the possibility of it catching fire. That is the rule that they must work to.
I cannot get a good signal if I am 22ft away from the box, I am lucky that my den room is only 10ft from it so a have a very strong signal.
All in all it was better on the old copper cable. Never had any trouble what so ever phone or internet.

That simply does not make sense...

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
Once the cable has entered the building it can only be 1m inside owing to the fire risk of the cable.
This is what I was told by the JT engineer fitting my fibre box.
If this is not true then I would want my box to be moved so that the signal would reach all the rooms.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 11:05:18 PM »
  when i had a chap from telecoms  bring me  the drum  of cable (fibre), i told him it was  going to  run up the outside wall  and  enter the roof space  and  be placed   in the  middle of the roof space  as it was comfy to stand , if working on it.
  he made no mention  of it catching fire  and only said  it  needed a power socket near by .
 i think those who  are installing  the fibre into homes , just want a  easy life .
 or have been told  that use as little in doors  as possible, as jt  are  paying for it .(imho)
 from the  hole in the road to your first point is their  line   what happens  inside  your house  and what you attatch to it is yours , no?

Offline shortport

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 01:04:01 AM »

I think this is just BS,they just don't want the extra expense/work of wiring it round your house.
The first person came round to do ours was a right muppet he wouldn't do anything and said I had to cut a hole in the plasterboard to trace the existing cable.I sent him on his way and traced the cable.The next day two different workers came round and they were excellent,couldn't have been more helpful and informative.
And yes the box was installed more than a metre into the house.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 02:11:52 AM »

I think this is just BS,they just don't want the extra expense/work of wiring it round your house.
The first person came round to do ours was a right muppet he wouldn't do anything and said I had to cut a hole in the plasterboard to trace the existing cable.I sent him on his way and traced the cable.The next day two different workers came round and they were excellent,couldn't have been more helpful and informative.
And yes the box was installed more than a metre into the house.

I would agree, complete BS to meet their needs, not yours.  Let's put this into perspective, a fire in your house is a very serious issue and the very nature of saying it has to be no more than a metre in does not cut it for me.  It suggests that the fibre box is far more risky than any other device in your house!  What would your insurance company make of it?

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »
Apparently it is the fibre cable that forms the risk.
If you saw where my box was you would wonder why they did not fit it just inside of the loft hatch but it is in the far corner where you have to bend right down. Now surely an body would not want to get into a dirty corner bent right over instead of nicely in the clean and no bending.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:48 PM »
So giving the Jersey Telecomms boss " LOADS OF MONEY " by way of an extra bonus of £118,000 is right says Senator Ozouf. Is it not interesting that the States Treasurer Laura Rowley is off, gone, resigned. Now Senator Ozouf would not be cooking the books would he ? With an election just three months away    good figures are essential for the man in charge of the states cheque book. Has the Treasury Minister upset the number one civil servant in charge of the treasury. Of course not,  :) let us remember that Senator Ozouf has let it be know he is a qualified accountant.

Please See,

JEP.

JT head 'deserved his £118,000 bonus'

A six-figure bonus handed to the boss of publicly owned JT was fair, given the work that he has done, according to the Treasury Minister.

Senator Philip Ozouf faced tough questions during Monday's States sitting after the JEP revealed earlier this month that the £118,000

bonus paid to JT chief executive Graeme Millar last year was on

top of his £190,000 salary.

Following a question from St John Constable Phil Rondel, Senator Ozouf praised the work Mr Millar was doing and said that the ‘framework’ for the chief executive’s bonus was directly linked to financial results.

Earlier this month, JT posted pre-tax profits of more than £33m, prompting Mr Millar to declare that the JT group had had its best ever year.

This was despite the fact that the telecoms company faced strong criticism late last year following the introduction of a new billing system which some customers complained was difficult to understand.

End

So there you have it, JT made a  gross profit of £33 million er no - actually - becuase there is no mention of the £40 million grant given. Should any other private business have secured £40 million funding for inward investment, they would have had to pay it back with a big lump of interest which would have [ you have guessed ] affected their profits. Nothing is shown in this profit line becuase you the tax payer gifted the money to this stand ( not quite so alone with Ozouf's funding ) alone arms lenght independent states trading company.

The same goes for SoJDc receiving help with a loan for £13 million to transfer the needed Esplanade car park underground, into an inverted toxic dump in the ground. At least it is called a loan [ another stand - not so alone ] by a pet trading company who will be tasked with at least paying it back, when and if it ever makes a profit.

What you are seeing folks, is accounting Jersey Style by Treasury Minister Senator Ozouf.

One is starting to understand why highly respected Big Chris Swinson ex Comptroller and Auditor General, Mr Flowers  ex property services ( Lime Grove fiasco ) and now States Treasurer Laura Rowley resigned. Respected professionals with integrity that want to maintain their credibility.

It is probably just me, but are some members of Jerseys Government  " shafting Jersey's reputation Internationally " rather than the long suffering islanders that call Jersey their home ?

More information here,

Allegations mount over States Treasurer's resignation

http://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/allegations-mount-over-states-treasurers-resignation/#.U8Yu1Fa9vwI

BB
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:22:29 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Little Bob

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »
Interesting that Phil Rondel brought this question up.

He did vote against removing sole control of states owned companies from the Treasury Minister (and approving, by himself, any bonuses) and placing it under the control of a committee. This seems to have been glossed over by the press in the fuss over the gay marriage

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/Pages/Votes.aspx?VotingId=3559