Author Topic: TV Licenses - Rip off in Jersey?  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Deputy Dawg

TV Licenses - Rip off in Jersey?
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »
Lets face it, In Jersey you are paying the same amount as the UK for a TV license and you get 2 BBC TV channels. With a freeview box you get, nothing  as it doesn't work.

In the UK for the same amount and a freeview box you can receive BBC1 BBC2 BBC3 BBC4 BBC News 24, CBEEBEES, CBBC, BBCParliament AND 29 radio stations along with numerous other TV Channels like Film4 ITV2 ITV3 ITV4 Channel 5 E4 etc etc,

So why are we paying such hefty prices for TV which when you work it out channel by channel cost is over 1000% higher than the UK (including Radio Stations even though there is no radio license)

Offline danrok

Re: TV Licenses - Rip off in Jersey?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »
Freeview is presently not available nationwide in the UK. It's not just Jersey missing out. We will be the last to get the service, however.

Alternatively, you can get all the free channels now via a satellite dish, no need to pay a sub to Sky.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
I no longer think people should be court ordered to pay this fee now.  As pointed out we are not receiving the full package.

mac

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
There also trying to get everyone to pay it by direct debit now,

I went into the post office to pay ours and they won't except debit or credit card payments, even though it states on the license renewal that they do.
So I went on-line a few times to try and pay it and the debit/credit card part wouldn't work, but it would come up advising you to set up a direct debit payment.

Offline !CaveMan

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
We should only have to buy the cheaper Black & White TV one, at least if they could catch you looking at colour you wouldent get done for not having a licence at all (@@)
how can they see what your looking at?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »
Just write back to them and ask them to stop bombarding your house with their unwanted signals.

Tell them that their unwanted signals are causing interference to your paid for services.

Sue Them if they continue to pollute your paid for sattelite signal.

Billy

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:26:58 AM »
Too right they are rip off. Digital radio anyone? not here.

So is Sky tbh, i have cancelled mine now. JEC are doing Freesat boxes for £59 one off i think, you need a dish though. The HD and + version is on its way.

Sky refused to back date my VAT which they had stolen, so i cancelled. I dont miss it really, only the recording bit, which i will get back when the new boxes above turn up.

Its about time the BBC sorted out our predicament here tbh.

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 10:50:25 AM »
Billy

The BBC aren't allowed to launch Digital Radio - it has to be launched commercially by a local commercial station - so it would either be down to Channel 103 or a UK commercial station to get it started.

The BBC then automatically puts all its networks on it - but it can't launch it. There are lots of political reasons for this that I will admit to not knowing.

There is also a frequencie issue here as well - basically there aren't enough available because we're so close to France and the French military won't release them (or something like that).

As for Digital TV - Freeview should be coming to Jersey in 2013 - the reason it hasn't launched sooner it down to the number of available frequencies - we don't have enough.

To launch freeview the existing four channels (analogue) have to be switched off so their frequencies can be used for digital.

So a day in 2013 all four exising channels will dissapear and Freeview will launch.

However you can recieve all the BBC digital radio and television stations FREE TO AIR over satellite without needing to pay a subscription.

That's either through Freesat (about £60 + dish) or a cheat second hand Sky box and dish (about £30 on eBay) or even SKY if you want to.

But you can also get them all online - including BBC THREE and BBC FOUR (to watch live).

Jersey actually gets a lot more than large parts of the UK in terms of the percentage of licence fee spend actually being spent in Jersey.

For an place with a population of just 90 thousand to have a local radio station (they normally cover a  million + population) a local BBC website (again million+) and a regional television opt (2/3 million+) is unusual.

The Licence fee covers more than just television - it pays for all the network radio stations, local radio stations, website, orchestras, big screens (we've had that here a few times now), getting people who can't afford it on to digital and various other things as well.

Not that I'm trying to defend my employer or anything - just setting the record straight.

Billy

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 11:59:41 AM »
Some good points Ryan, thanks for answering.

I still think we should get a reduction.

Cheers

Billy

Offline Swompy

• Jersey Beautiful Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »
 I don´t see what the problem is.
We live give or take a mile or two, at least one thousand miles from the UK
and 650 miles from Jersey, with a sat dish I receive BBC one,two,three,four
and all radio stations from the BBC.
Everyone in Jersey can recieve most if not all TV stations, IF they move with the times, the problem is some people expect to be able to use a bent coat hanger stuck on a bit of wood to recieve all the TV stations, that was OK in the fifties and sixties when we had BBC one,and two and channel 9 as it was then called, my dad had a bit of electrical wire hanging from the rafters with  odd bits of wire, and could not understand that, when a plane came in to land at the airport we would recieve transmissions from the pilot asking for directions as he couldn't see the runway, this state of affairs went on until  colour arrived.
What ARE you doing to my Beautiful Jersey?

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »
Not all of us are allowed to put up a dish...

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
But you can now watch BBC Three, BBC Four, CBEEBIES, CBBC, BBC News Channel and BBC Parliament live online - not to mention on demand through the iPlayer.

Obviously not as good as watching it through a TV broadcast - but as technology changes Over the Air, through an aerial broadcasts will become less relevant.

I was in the same situation as you for a long time Chris - in fact it was only in the last two years that I moved somewhere I was allowed a dish - but it is becoming more common for blocks of flats to have dishes on the roof and to be wired into every flat - you can also - depending on the direction you face - put a dish on a balcony or on a windowsill.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »
I noticed on another blog a piece about inspectors from the BBC and came accros this site from Scotland. It  was not what I was looking for though as It is my understanding that the BBC licence fee for those over 75 are paid by the corporation itself. I shall have another look but thought this might interest readers.

Quote:

1. TV Licensing staff call themselves “officers” but are ordinary private citizens employed by Capita and have NO LEGAL RIGHT OF ACCESS TO YOUR HOME. If they knock at the door and ask to be admitted, you don’t have to let them in (unless they’re accompanied by a police officer with a warrant).

How often do police officers work for " private companies "employing private citizens like Capita ? The BBC is not Government owned but a private corp. My note

It doesn’t matter whether you’re the homeowner or a tenant. You do not have to answer any questions they ask. If you do let them in you still don’t have to comply with any requests they make, or sign any forms they produce.

2. It doesn’t matter if your TV is capable of receiving broadcasts or not. You don’t need to detune it or disconnect the aerial (you could legally be using it to only receive radio). To be guilty of an offence you actually have to be caught in the act of watching a live/as-live broadcast without a licence. In practice, the only way this can happen is if you allow a TV Licensing operative into your home voluntarily, or they look through the window and see you doing so.

(So if you live in a 10th-floor flat, that’s not going to happen.)

3. If you own your home (in England and Wales) you may withdraw the “implied right of access” to your home by writing to TV Licensing doing so. TVL operatives then may not even approach your property.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/enough-is-enough/

Ahh found it, yes it is coming in but not at the moment. This will obviously include the Crown dependencies ?

Quote:

Government has reached an agreement with the BBC that it will take on the cost of providing free television licences for over-75s.

This will be phased in from 2018/19 with the BBC taking on the full costs from 2020/21.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bbc-to-fund-provision-of-free-television-licences-for-over-75s

BB
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:18:35 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 01:20:49 AM »
Over, (And under), 75,s should simply refuse to pay this tax and the States should back them.

Win-win situation.
"Simples".

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
I want ITV in the channel islands to have HD. If we can have BBC HD then why can we not have ITV.