Author Topic: Bombing of Israel/Sandy's devastation in Caribbean  (Read 10647 times)

Offline boatyboy

Re: Bombing of Israel/Sandy's devastation in Caribbean
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
It appears that Hamas are aggressive and take no notice of their own people dying at the hands of the far better equiped Israel forces. Like many I suspect I hate the fact that women and children, or indeed anyone  is dying through actions of violence by missile firing dumb wits, but Hamas are provoking the situation.

BBC middle east news

Hamas militants say they have fired several rockets into Israel, rejecting an offer to extend a 12-hour ceasefire in its Gaza operation until 21:00 GMT.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28504509

bb
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:46:00 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Bombing [by] Israel
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
It appears that Hamas are aggressive and take no notice of their own people dying at the hands of the far better equiped Israel forces. Like many I suspect I hate the fact that women and children, or indeed anyone  is dying through actions of violence by missile firing dumb wits, but Hamas are provoking the situation.

bb

What an insensible response. The fact that this comes from a person who uses this site daily to attack certain Jersey government ministers really sums up the state of political opposition discourse on this island - it is still entirely factional and personality based, as it always has been throughout history. If the person trying to make the political argument doesn't happen to have the right membership card and hasn't paid homage to the right notables, their views are worthless. Yet if the Supreme Deceiver, Master Stuart of El Vino ;) , let it be known that followers should start criticising Maclean's involvement with Israel because it might be politically useful to him, this site and half a dozen prominent island blogs would suddenly switch to being 'deeply concerned' about the murder of Palestinian civilians for a few days or weeks... but that particular diktat obviously hasn't yet arrived in your inbox, Boatyboy. It's political peasantry, but transmitted at super-fast broadband speed to the small bunch of anonymous followers who are gullible enough to swallow it (all three of whom will shortly be backing you up with trite replies in your defence).

Now away from you for a second and back to the subject in hand. Here's another BBC News headline today that you obviously missed:
GAZA CRISIS: DEADLY STRIKE 'ON UN SCHOOL IN RAFAH'

At least 10 people have been killed in a strike on a UN-run school housing Palestinians displaced by the Gaza conflict, medics say. Thousands of Palestinians were believed to be sheltering in the facility in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip...

The latest official figures from Gaza's health ministry say that 1,740 Palestinians have been killed and 9,080 injured since the conflict began more than three weeks ago. The UN warned that a "health disaster of widespread proportions" is unfolding in Gaza, with medical services facing collapse.

The Israeli shelling of the Jabaliya UN shelter last week, which killed 16 people, drew widespread international condemnation [but not from Jersey or from you, I notice, Boatyboy]. In the latest attack, eyewitnesses said a missile struck near the entrance to the school as people queued for food.

At least 30 people were also injured, Palestinian officials said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28628682
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:55:11 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2014, 07:07:11 PM »
Jerry, I have no idea how you get the view that what I write is  " an insensible response ".

You obviously are not reading all the words like  " I hate the fact that women and children, or indeed anyone is dying through actions of violence "

I am not knowledgably in the history of another stupid mini war, where innocent people, men women and children die and get maimed, made homeless
and suffer terribly because religious fanatics, or self interest corrupt regimes cannot  reach agreement. I have not a clue by the way why you bring Syvret into this when you decide to disagree with me, maybe you are unaware that people as individuals are capable of their own views warts and all.

I take your point that Alan Maclean should not be cozying up to the Israel Government but what can one say when the EU sells weapons to these morons ( both sides ).

An other point I would make, is that the Palestine people voted into power Hamas, in a free vote ( as far as we are told ) Hamas believe the only way to get what they want is through violence and war.

Both the Hamas and Palestine leadership should put their people first and seek a peaceful resolution to stop the killing; clearly they are not intelligent enough and too full of cultural and historic hatred.

You would have thought that the human race would have learned that the losers in war are innocent people and it should have no place in society or disputes.

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:26:00 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2014, 01:15:31 AM »
Not too difficult to decide who wrong in this conflict.
According to Israel. "We use missiles to defend our schools, hospitals and civilians. Hamas use schools, hospitals and civilians to defend their missiles".
So basically Israel knows it is targeting schools,hospitals and civilians?

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 01:14:54 AM »
Jersey's Overseas Aid Commission has been forced to react to public concern about the plight of Palestinians in Gaza by giving emergency grants of £30,000 each to four NGO's working in Gaza. The total grant is £120,000. The BBC reported it here:

https://twitter.com/bbcjersey/status/496278030630023168

Note the immediate response to this tweet by self-proclaimed "free thinker" ::) Janice Eden, running a half price card shop in the Central Market, querying whether this aid should be given. Apparently she believes that emergency aid should only be granted if the disaster is caused by a natural event! I just hope this isn't the next Maureen Morgan in waiting...

A different version of the same story reported here (extracts) by BailiwickExpress.com:

Jersey Overseas Aid Commission (JOAC) has awarded £30,000 to help charities working in Gaza.

The grant will enable Christian Aid to provide an emergency response in the Gaza Strip where violence between Israel and Palestinians has escalated. As of Thursday afternoon, more than 1,430 people have been killed in Gaza since the start of the fighting, most of them civilians. It is estimated that 75% of the population now relies on humanitarian support to meet their basic needs....

The Christian Aid application explains that nearly 2,000 homes have been destroyed, and over 18,000 so badly damaged that 70,000 people have been left homeless. It details how 85 schools and three hospitals have been damaged and that 900,000 people are at risk of losing their water supply.

According to the UN 5,600 fishermen and farmers are in need of food and livelihood assistance after having their boats and agricultural land damaged or destroyed, while 25,000 children are now in need of psychological and social support.

Janet Symes, Christian Aid Head of Middle East said: “The horrific escalation of violence in the region means the levels of need on the ground will continue to rise at a dramatic rate. We have launched the Gaza appeal to help those whose lives have been devastated by the ongoing violence of the last two weeks.

“Christian Aid urges the international community to act immediately to bring about a ceasefire and address the root causes of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to prevent this happening again.”

Also reported by Channel 103 here:

Jersey has given £120,000 to help those affected by the conflict in Gaza.

The money from the Jersey Overseas Aid Commission will be split between Christian Aid, The British Red Cross, UNICEF and Oxfam.

It will provide water, food, emergency shelter and medicines to the most vulnerable.

The Commission says the money is going to these charities as they already have an established presence in the country.

http://www.channel103.com/news/index.php?storyid=36107&s=1

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:29:03 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2014, 06:17:38 AM »
Two females - two news stories - one subject: Palestine.

One of these females deserves our utmost respect:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/29/malala-yousafzai-reconstruction-gaza-schools

The other one, well, just 'sucks' really:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11196959/Maureen-Lipman-abandons-Ed-Miliband-over-Israel.html

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 08:23:22 AM »
A recent Freedom of Information response shows that Senators Gorst and Farnham, Constable Pallet and Deputy Murray Norton all had contact with Israeli Embassy officials during 2015. This is yet another good reason why Norton should not have been invited by the BBC to participate in last November's local televised Children in Need spectacle at Fort Regent.
Extract from this response as follows:

Senator Farnham, Connetable Pallet, and Deputy Norton met the Head of Economic and Trade Mission from the Israeli Embassy in May 2015.

The Chief Minister met the Counsellor for Civil Society Affairs from the Embassy of Israel in August 2015.

http://www.gov.je/Government/Pages/StatesReports.aspx?ReportID=1872

Just to confirm that it wasn't me who submitted this request.

Those States Members who had contact with Israel during 2015 did so in spite of a report by Human Rights Watch about the fighting in the Gaza Strip during July-August 2014 which stated as follows (extract):

At least 2,100 Palestinians were killed, of whom the United Nations  identified more than 1,500 as civilians, and approximately 11,000 people, mostly civilians, were injured. The tens of thousands of Israeli attacks caused the vast majority of destruction during the fighting, which left uninhabitable 22,000 homes, displacing 108,000 people, and left hundreds of thousands without adequate water or electricity.

108,000 displaced in such an overcrowded land - unforgiveable (well unless you happen to be a member of Jersey's Council of Ministers in which case let bygones be bygones, eh?).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:34:07 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Bombing of Israel
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2016, 07:12:08 AM »
How appalling that the anti-Corbynites within the Labour parliamentary party have so precisely timed this 'anti semitism' media coup to create maximum negative publicity for the party just one week before crucial local elections and the election for London Mayor. This faction is obviously prepared to help the Tories beat Labour next week in order to weaken the elected Labour leader's position.

As you will see from this clip taken from a past edition of Private Eye (link below), this is not the first time that chief anti-Corbyn conspirator, Labour MP John Mann, has launched an unwarranted foul-mouthed attack on someone in the party who dares to disagree with him:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CM8zhFlWcAESAMT.jpg

He seems to think he has the right to label anyone who dares to criticise Israel as 'anti semite'. Well I've seen the internet meme that caused this fracas in the first place (link below) and my first thought was "what a good idea!". I take it as light-hearted, ironical political criticism of the closeness of the US-Israel relationship and the enormous annual cost of keeping that country armed to the teeth. I see nothing at all wrong with it. There is no incitement to hate Jews or to go out and attack them in the streets. Read it for yourself:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10533891_872502416111677_4486786655895381496_n.jpg?oh=a964c5c366380d8c3ea340a4594dec51&oe=57B7E28F

It should also be very strongly noted that this meme dates back to the summer of 2014, when Israel's military blitzkrieg on the Gaza Strip (known as 'Operation Protective Edge') murdered 1,492 Palestinian civilians, amongst whom were 513 children. Half a million Palestinians people were also displaced from their homes. A report by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs later confirmed that more Palestinian civilians died as a result of the conflict with Israel in 2014 than in any year since 1967.

Given the truly apocalyptic scale of the damage inflicted on an entire race of people by Israel that summer, I think the creators of this meme did an admirable job in keeping their criticism of the Zionist state as peaceful and humorous as this. I'm sure many other bloggers across the world weren't so controlled in their comments.

This is an attack on free speech pure and simple and no matter how vociferously the Zionists inside the British political establishment try once more to silence their critics by falsely labelling them all as anti semites, the truth about Israel's continuing enslavement of the Palestinians will never be forced off the free world wide web.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:18:58 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Bombing of Israel
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »
After the orchestrated 'anti-semitism' row designed to ruin Labour's chances in yesterday's UK elections (with only partial success I note), Stephen Regal has been contacting Jersey Establishment media, no doubt hoping to use this opportunity to try to silence a few local critics of Israel with similar unjustified allegations. The always co-operative (in this respect anyway) Jersey Evening Post has duly published an article prompted by him which includes this sweeping and highly disputable statement:

Anti-semitism is hostility and prejudice directed against Jewish people and Zionism – about which some members of the party have also made comments – refers to the movement to create a Jewish state in the Middle East, corresponding to the historic land of Israel.

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2016/05/05/islands-jewish-community-disappointed-by-anti-semitic-comments-in-labour-party/

It is not clear whether this quote above is Stephen Regal's own, or whether it is the newspaper's own unique attempt to define once and for all what exactly constitutes 'anti-semitism', but either way the inclusion of 'hostility' to the Zionist movement in the definition cannot possibly be allowed to go unchallenged. Unfortunately, my comments, particularly on subjects such as this, are not welcome on the JEP's online forum and I gave up even trying several years ago because so many of my posts were failing to be published if they failed to toe the orthodox line. In fact when the JEP introduced their current system of online registration I didn't even bother with it. Therefore unlike Establishment favourite Mr. Regal, I have no means of getting my view over to a significant proportion of the island population.

I also note the complete silence on this subject of one Reform Jersey Member of the States Assembly who has previously made similar criticisms to myself about Israel's policies. I'm afraid that this is typical of elected politicians - they're happy to be 'controversial' when they percieve that the public are right behind them anyway, but conversely, they're terrified of the electoral consequences of being accused of 'offending' a particular group or race of people. This is why Labour has been so hesitant in coming out in defence of Ken Livingstone and Naz Shah despite the obvious ludicrousness of the anti-semitism allegations thrown at both of them. I'm afraid it is a fact of life that when things get really tough and your back is against the wall, elected politicians of any political persuasion are normally the last people you can rely on for loyalty. That's what helps to set them apart from the rest of us - that innate sense of self-preservation when they are most needed!

Nevertheless, I was really pleased to read the following 2 comments beneath that JEP article, which largely reflect my own views and deserve to be repeated here:

'unhappy'
Aside from the fact semites are mainly Palestinian, the world has a right to be hostile towards the Zionists given the terrorism they deploy against others.

I read somewhere that there are more UN resolutions outstanding against Israel for its acts of aggression and war crimes than all other countries put together, so they should not expect to be treated with respect. The old holocaust get-out-card has worn a bit thin.

'Wilson Riou'
'Anti-semitism is hostility and prejudice directed against Jewish people and Zionism'

I don't know whether this statement is by the reporter or is attributed to Stephen Regal but either way it's nonsense as it stands. Anti-semitism is prejudice against Jewish people for no other reason than they identify themselves as ethnically Jewish. It's a more specific type of xenophobia.

Other views held by Jewish and non-Jewish people in relation to their religious beliefs and customs and political beliefs such as Zionism are open to debate and criticism as with any other religion or political belief.

Anyone calling this type of debate 'anti-Semitic' is using the term to stifle debate and is a form of censorship.
:)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:59:17 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Tribute to Jo Cox MP
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 06:16:43 AM »
Jo Cox MP, 1974-2016: The kind-hearted campaigner who lived on a houseboat:

Extract from The New Statesman:

When recalling her work overseas, Cox spoke of women she met who had been raped in Darfur, of encountering child soldiers in Uganda, and hearing from Afghan civilians desperate for help from the global community.

Her time at Oxfam gave rise to her focus on foreign affairs. In Parliament, she campaigned for Palestinian statehood and served as co-chair of the all-party parliamentary group on Syria. She repeatedly called on David Cameron to develop a “holistic plan” to deal with both the so-called Islamic State and Bashar Al-Assad.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/06/jo-cox-mp-1974-2016-kind-hearted-campaigner-who-lived-houseboat

Given that the cause of the Palestinians was one of the many issues that she campaigned about, I thought that this Israel thread was an appropriate place to express my utter disgust and great sadness at her senseless murder.
 :'(

Update - Sunday 19th June 2016:

Jo Cox's fund has raised £621,088. The page link is here:

https://www.gofundme.com/jocox

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:54:28 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

File this one under totally bonkers decisions made by politicians: at a time when the EU is struggling more than ever to cope with the enormous influx of migrants and refugees from Africa and the Middle East, those smart people who run the governments of Portugal and Spain have decided that now is the right moment in history to offer citizenship to anyone in the world who can prove that they are the descendants of Sephardic Jews. It is not stated what standard of documentary proof these governments will accept as evidence going back 500 years, given that modern systems of civil registration generally only started in the 1800's. You would think that the document forgers are going to be very busy...

This move is intended to "right the historical wrongs" of more than 500 years ago ??? when the Jewish populations of Spain and Portugal were forced into exile unless they converted to Catholicism. According to a report in The Guardian (see link below), the law changes have already resulted in an 80-fold increase in the number of British Sephardic Jews applying for Portuguese citizenship since the Brexit result. It also quotes someone as saying that Sephardic Jews living in Turkey are now applying in their "hundreds and thousands" for citizenship of these two EU countries. The reason that most are applying for Portuguese citizenship rather than Spanish is because there is no requirement for those Jews applying for Portuguese citizenship to have to speak Portuguese, whereas the equivalent Spanish legislation requires applicants to speak Spanish.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/31/brexit-vote-rush-british-jews-portuguese-passports

Although the report does not say as much, my own suspicion is that these seemingly crazy law changes might have something to do with the strength of the Israel lobby in the west, because it is hard to imagine that these governments would have voluntarily changed their laws for the benefit of just one particular religious sect at the expense of all others unless a powerful and asset-rich group of people offered them some particularly good financial incentives to do so.

The decision is totally unjustified because it encourages every other race of people in the world to start opening up their ancient history books afresh and checking whether their own ancestors might also have been the victims of pogroms by countries that are now quite wealthy and maybe Members of the EU. If Jews who were mistreated more than 500 years ago in Spain or Portugal (EU Members) are now entitled to jump the huge queue of migrants heading to these two countries, then what about all those other races who were likewise mistreated half a millennium ago or more by Spain, Portugal, or any other western state? I seem to recall that the Spanish handed out pretty much the same treatment 500+ years ago to their substantial muslim population. I cannot understand why only the Jews of the world have been given the right to return to Spain 500 years later, but not the muslims. It smacks of unfairness and discrimination. Quite simply, the Jews of the world should not have been invited to take up Spanish and Portuguese citizenship as it will only result in a hardening of anti-Jewish sentiment, both inside and outside Spain and Portugal.

I have filed this one on the Israel thread, which I think is quite appropriate because 2017 marks the sad centenary of Britain starting it all off when it was persuaded by a similarly bonkers idea of a small but powerful group of British Jewish lobbyists to create a dedicated homeland for the Jews in Palestine - a country which was not even a part of the British Empire. The main argument of the Zionists a hundred years ago was based on the fact that in the ancient time of the bible, the Jews lived in Palestine and therefore had undeniable rights to go back in the 20th Century and claim the land as their own from the native Palestinians - a couple of millennia later! Now we're told that they also have undeniable rights to return to Spain and Portugal, because some of them later moved there before being kicked out! Where does this argument end?

We had no right back then to impose a Jewish homeland on the Palestinians without their consent and Spain and Portugal have no right today to give preference to Sephardic Jews over any other race of people who want to migrate to their countries - yet politicians still end up being persuaded that these things are a good idea when enough material incentives are placed right in front of their noses ...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:38:55 AM by Jerry Gosselin »