Author Topic: Votes for Jersey Prisoners: the silence is FINALLY broken  (Read 5425 times)

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Votes for Jersey Prisoners: the silence is FINALLY broken
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 01:19:29 AM »
The Council of Europe has effectively delayed the deadline for the UK to bring forward a human rights-compliant bill by another year to September 2013.  It is not exactly a punishment for defying the ECHR for so many years, is it? >:(

No doubt our Jersey politicians will be delighted by this news too and will use it as an opportunity to try to kick the matter a bit further into the legislative long grass. Is it now a possibility that this could remain still unresolved by the time of the next Jersey elections in 2014? Surely not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20667357

No need to reply here every time I post an update on this subject, Lokel Yokel. We're all aware of your wise views by now and can take them as read, thanks.  ;)

Offline Lokel_Yokel

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »
No need to reply here every time I post an update on this subject, Lokel Yokel. We're all aware of your wise views by now and can take them as read, thanks.  ;)

I don't read this forum every day (nor week!), but you made me re-read this thread  >:(......I'd only posted the once ??!! (before now obviously!).....whereas you are plastered all over it......

……hell, it's as if I even gave folks both barrells of my internet based wisdom  ;D ………in which vein I will now (and belatedly) suggest that you go… ……… yourself with any suggestion on how often and on what subjects I respond. Who da … …  do ya think you are? The Editor of the JEP? >:( >:( >:(….

Please read the rules Lokel, No Personal attacks

Thanks

Shrek
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:20:55 PM by Shrek »
Say No to the Woo!

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »
Four years have passed since the last comments on this thread and finally the States Assembly will be forced to confront the incompatibility of its election law with the European Convention of Human Rights:

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2016/11/24/states-to-decide-on-giving-prisoners-the-vote/

The vast length of time (more than a decade) that Jersey has been able to keep kicking this relatively minor issue into the long grass when they knew their 2002 legislation was not compatible with the Convention is as good a reason as any why Jersey should not be allowed greater autonomy from the UK. If it wants independence and the right to hobnob with the likes of Angela Merkel at various international conventions then it should be fully complying with international law.

Yes, I know that the UK parliament has also defied Strasbourg on this same issue but at least the legislature in Westminster had an open debate and took a vote on it. Conversely, what the States Assembly has done is, well, nothing at all really. The status quo was allowed to continue this long only because of a very convenient situation whereby the Assembly would not collectively have to take a potentially unpopular decision to give voting rights to prisoners unless an individual States Member decided to lodge a proposition. Yet not one States Member was brave enough to risk a JEP/Bailiwick Express  backlash by lodging that proposition. No, not even those apparently claiming to be in favour of electoral reform!  ::)

Yet now we see one of the more socially conservative legislators (Constable Len Norman of PPC) suddenly deciding to put the matter before the Assembly - why? The answer is obvious and is mentioned in the JEP's article as follows:

However, Constable Len Norman, who chairs the PPC, has now said that it is time for Jersey to discuss the issue following advice from the Island’s Legislation Advisory Panel.

That's right. The lawyers have advised them that they cannot continue to avoid the issue any longer and whereas they blatantly ignore the electorate whenever it suits them, they never fail to do what their appointed consultants tell them to do.

Expect Hilton or Martins to lodge an amendment to reduce that period of 4 years down to about 1 year and expect the States Assembly to support that amendment, as it will result in far fewer prisoners gaining the legal right to vote. That would enable those invertebrates supporting the amendment to claim a PR victory in spite of doing what they vowed they would never do - give serving prisoners the right to vote.