Author Topic: Bus strike  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Bus strike
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »
The drivers need to understand that overtime is not a guarantee earning.
Overtime is worked only where necessary and if only a few drivers wish to do it then they must not believe that it is their right to receive it. The management should have employed more drivers so that overtime was not necessary.
H&S does come into it. I used to work up to 80 hours per week  where necessary and we were told that if social got to hear this there would be trouble. We did not expect the overtime to be there every week but only when it was needed for the job.

Offline tonytheprof

Re: Bus strike
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »
There are some aspects that are coming out that were not mentioned by TTS. For instance, that Sunday is Overtime, but new contracts (apparently) make it standard time. That's not good.

But as far as excessive hours go, TTS are right. That should be outlawed - and that goes for internal States employees - such as at the hospital as well. The States can't have one rule for bus drivers, another for internal suits them!

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
One other thing i forgot to mention.
Never live to your wage that includes overtime, always put the overtime into the bank that way you live to your means and never end up in debt if the overtime is done away with.

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
Assuming, of course, that the employer doesn't pay a ridiculously low base wages because they tell you that you can expect a living wage with overtime - that's been known to happen- although not in this case.

Offline shortport

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 01:05:48 AM »
Isn't it more a case of safety to passengers?Is it safe to be driving a busload of people around if the driver is half asleep from working a 70 hour week.Lets face it do they actually need the overtime.I'm sure most of them would have no problem living on a standard 40 hour wage.Maybe their tax affairs should be looked into to see if any of them have undisclosed properties abroad,i'm sure that would shut some of them up

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 01:25:04 AM »
There are a few other things disputed coming to light -
- cuts to sick pay
- compulsory working on sundays and bank holidays at standard rates (not overtime)

But on the hours front, TTS are quite right. 70 hours a week is wholly wrong. Incidentally, do any Doctors or Nurses work that?

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »
It seems that they want to bring in shift working so that they only work 52 hours per week but at normal pay and the shifts to cover 7 days a week no overtime. In this case it is wrong. Anybody working for the states and doing shift work get a payment for doing shift work and also if they work over their shift they get paid the going rate of time and a half or double time. Saturday is time and a half,Sunday double time and after midnight to 6am it is double time. Remeber also they are only classed as semi-skilled.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:14:17 PM by Chevalier Blanc »

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
The CT terms and conditions are on their website:

http://www.hctgroup.org/the_hct_group/ct_plus_jersey/ct_plus_jersey_news/301/information_and_technical/site_sustainability_2

CT Plus Jersey’s Terms & Conditions for full-time permanent drivers

Monday – Friday £13.50
Saturdays £14.50
Sundays £20.08
Bank Holidays £27.00
Overtime rate: Rate as per day type
Shift allowance (Mon – Sat): None
Performance allowance: (Mon – Sat): None
Holiday pay: £539.29 per week
Holiday entitlement: 25 days
Sick pay per day: £74.62 per day
Contractual working hours per week: 39
Maximum hours permitted to be worked per week: 54

At present, all drivers get a flat sum shift allowance, pretty well regardless of whether they do shifts.

But remember - re shift allowance - they are not working for the States, but for the bus company, so they are not States employees.

Online gladiator

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 06:26:41 PM »
As you said Chev.

Anybody working for the states and doing shift work get a payment for doing shift work and also if they work over their shift they get paid the going rate of time and a half or double time. Saturday is time and a half,Sunday double time and after midnight to 6am it is double time.

Lets not forget ( depending on job ) clothes, shoes , glasses, tools for the job - free parking. Days off in lieu, if you have worked ( and been  paid on overtime ) your second day off.

Also unlike the sensible private sector, if you have personal problems and unable to carry out your work you are asked to leave, because most businesses are simply unable to carry people.

In the public sector,  you get full pay for four years, when you go to prison you are still paid in full just ask the judiciary department.

The Government are charged with spending the tax pound wisely, a trial case for corruption based on misuse of funds  would I suggest get the full backing of the public.

G.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 03:59:13 AM »
THE BUS STRIKE MEANS MORE CARS ON THE ROADS.  Would TTS make it more difficult for the travelling public in order to stoke the publics anger at the bus drivers. How ? By making unnecessary traffic choking diversion's ?

Now I may be completely wrong, as I drove up passed Beaumont Hill on route to the airport, I noticed two men in yellow jackets messing about with the low metal barriers or it may have been pruning the bushes on the pavement side. To my amazement on returning from the airport, a diversion sign sent the traffic away from the hill a main artery to St. Helier the traffic queue went back past Jacksons.

The Minister Kevin Lewis should be asked in the States, given the lack of buses why was the hill closed for minor works or was there another purpose for the closure as no major works were in evidence ?

On a different but related subject, Sam Mezec argues that TTS have been deceitful in what was promised and what was delivered now they are blaming the staff. A lively debate ensues, and facts not read in the local media are explored.

Quote:

The breaking news is that the strike has been called off as of first thing tomorrow morning. Excellent news!

http://sammezec.blogspot.com/2012/10/strikes-lesser-of-two-evils.html#comment-form
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:05:27 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »
I have had dealing with states managers in the past and believe me they can be very deceitful with the truth!
What used to get me was that they had this attitude of them and us with us being the higher people in society. What they could not understand was that we all worked for the same boss and as such we should be helping each other to do a better job with less money etc. Now if they had taken this attitude there would have been very very few problems within the department.
The mangers thought they were gods and treated the staff almost not as human being,so when you get this it is no wonder that the staff dig their heels in. If they had been honest from the start any problems would have been sorted out amicably but no they hide the truth from the workers and then use their department of lies to the public to make the worker look very bad in the public's eye.
They will never learn that they work for the same boss.
In recent years some managers have found themselves in the same situation as the worker and suddenly realised just what it is like to be used and lied to. What goes round comes round.