Author Topic: BBC reporting in Jersey is it worth the licence fee.  (Read 28299 times)

Offline boatyboy

Re: BBC reporting in Jersey is it worth the licence fee.
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

Mr Jon Gripton,  appears in a Daily  Mail article !

But when Mr Abbott’s father wrote to the BBC after his son’s death, the managing editor of BBC Radio Jersey, Jon Gripton, said that since  Mr Norton was a ‘freelance artist’, the corporation had no responsibility for his off-air activities.
Mr Norton’s links with the BBC, however, are long-established and he hosts a three-hour show on Radio Jersey every weekday morning.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2456795/BBC-mans-Twitter-campaign-helped-kill-son-Devastated-father-claims-offensive-comments-contributed-sons-heart-attack-47.html#ixzz2hadcRuV2

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
But when Mr Abbott’s father wrote to the BBC after his son’s death, the managing editor of BBC Radio Jersey, Jon Gripton, said that since  Mr Norton was a ‘freelance artist’, the corporation had no responsibility for his off-air activities.
Mr Norton’s links with the BBC, however, are long-established and he hosts a three-hour show on Radio Jersey every weekday morning.

I have just noticed this new article by Tony on the subject:

http://tonymusings.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-tragic-case-of-simon-abbot-what.html

Notwithstanding Tony's defence of Murray Norton, if it is true that the BBC's official excuse is that it has no responsibility for 'freelance' artists then that raises a lot of questions.

For example, are these freelancers able to make openly political comments in the media, Twitter etc., endorse whatever commercial products they wish, stand for election as a States Member whilst still having the option of returning to the BBC airwaves straight after the election, whether they are successful or not?

TV and radio personalities have an enormous advantage over other candidates if they choose to stand for public office. This is the case in every part of the world, not just the Channel Islands. It still gets me angry recalling that BBC broadcast with Guy De Faye just after he returned to Jersey and immediately before he declared he was standing for Senator. That was a total abuse but it worked- he got his seat in the States. There was a similar situation in Guernsey with Peter Roffey- it seemed to me that whenever he wasn't appearing on CTV as a reporter then he was appearing on CTV as a Member of the Guernsey States, then whenever he wasn't in the States, he was back on CTV, honing his Mr Nice Personality skills for another run at the States in the future. Currently he's screwing up our beloved Co-op with Shenton but at least he's no longer appearing on our screens every night.

Then of course, there's Mrs. Ozouf, who is currently providing an invaluable service to the government by failing to carry out essential Scrutiny on very controversial benefit changes, such as the radical cutting back of entitlement to Survivor's Benefit last year and the tough new sanctions regime on jobseekers, coming into force tomorrow.  I am sure she will be adequately rewarded by Phil & Co after the next election... >:(
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:30:39 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 07:56:23 PM »
Don't understand what you mean when you say the Co-op is being screwed up :(
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »

Hi Jerry,

Re your reply 31.

Should you decide to quote me, no problem but please , keep it in context. I was quoting words written in the Daily Mail. I did not write them.

Probably genuine mistake on your part, just thought I would mention it as it was brought to my attention. Thanks.

Mr Jon Gripton,  appears in a Daily Mail article !

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2456795/BBC-mans-Twitter-campaign-helped-kill-son-Devastated-father-claims-offensive-comments-contributed-sons-heart-attack-47.html#ixzz2hadcRuV2

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 02:23:42 AM »
Ok, BB, I'm happy to acknowledge those words weren't your own. The problem is that when someone wants to reference a particular message and reply to it, they often press the 'Quote' button at top right to make it clear what comment they are replying to. This quotes whatever they want to select from that message, but it may look to some like the message writer actually said those words, whereas the message writer may have only been quoting someone else. You could try using the 'Insert Quote' button which is just to the left of the Bullet Points ('Insert Unordered List') button, as this makes it clearer when the comment happens to be a quote. It would look like this:-
The phrase being quoted appears here

Or maybe just put speech quotation marks at the start and end of the quote.  :D

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 12:13:27 AM »
Jon Gripton head of ( the publicly funded ) BBC Jersey, in my opinion has outstayed his welcome. Who should take over, not  Matthew Price it would seem after apparently blatantly lying on air to islanders ?

The Story, is about the goings on at BBC Jersey, who are they really working for, the public of Jersey, or certain members of the States of Jersey and high ranking civil servants ?

Is this abuse of the publics compulsory £3.6 BILLION license fee, paid to the BBC ?

Sam Mezec's Blog

http://sammezec.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-bbc-digs-even-deeper-memory-failing.html#comment
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:23:00 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Dundee

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
There are no details of the hate site - and we are talking about a few loose cannons here also

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 01:20:20 AM »

I agree Dundee, I take it you mean loose cannons at the BBC. Sam Mezec,who I have met, appears to me to have been open, honest and well researched in his dealings, unlike senior staff at the BBC Jersey it would appear ?

I take it we are reading from the same hymn sheet.

BB

Offline Dundee

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
No I am talking about the two that go on about a hate site but never reference it, it could be Planet Jersey for all we know. Its easy to make things up without reference, and get gullible people to take all that rubbish in.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 04:13:04 AM »

We may not agree on everything Dundee, but there are hate sites that exist everywhere, in all countries and Jersey.

If you want to find what the demented write. Keep searching, then join the site, agree with what is written or become a victim.

I think you are far more intelligent than that. Been there seen it, bought the T shirt.

BB

Offline Dundee

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 04:53:22 AM »
So you have no clue either. For one that keeps asking for facts, you certainly don't provide many!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 05:26:34 AM »

Offline Dundee

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
Jon Gripton, promoting a hate-site aimed at Deputy Shona Pitman
Not sure what a post code for somewhere near Wagga wagga NSW has to do with hate sites or you and facts.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
Took me a while but I found it!  Its the facebook page: Leah McGrath Goodman - STOP SPREADING LIES ABOUT JERSEY

Which title suggests a perfectly rebuttal to what can only be called sensationalistic journalism and one can hardly call it journalism as the woman has not exactly uncovered anything ground breaking or factual.

Offline Bentos

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 11:58:28 PM »
She did apparently find out that we cannot buy books in Jersey and she certainly found out how nice the cocktails are at the Grand Champagne Bar.