Author Topic: BBC reporting in Jersey is it worth the licence fee.  (Read 25316 times)

Offline tonytheprof

Re: BBC reporting in Jersey is it worth the licence fee.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52:28 PM »
"Anybody who has read the transcripts of the initial hearings between Ian Le Marquand and Dr. T. Brain (Chairman of the Chief Police Officers Staff Association) can see that Dr T Brain destroyed everything to do with Power's suspension in a couple of withering attacks. The fact that they didn't follow procedure, the fact that Ian le Marquand was conflicted, the fact that there was no substantive complaint, just a fishing expedition - he exposed it for what it was: an act of political expediency."

My reading of it was that procedure was not followed because there was really no precedent for this kind of suspension, it had never happened before. It seemed as if Dr Brain had not been properly briefed by Ian Le Marquand as to what he expected to hear, and then Ian Le Marquand replied on quite a different basis. All in all, a complete muddle, and it would have been better to call in a third part to chair the meeting, someone who had some experience of suspension hearings. I don't think Ian Le Marquand was being deliberately obstructive, I think he thought he could conduct the meeting himself, and showed, I think, that by the shambolic nature of the way it went, that he couldn't. He did make some substantial argument for keeping the suspension, but that had nothing to do with Dr Brain's submission, and therefore Dr Brain could not address it as that concluded the meeting. I think Dr Brain was justifiable annoyed!

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »
Is it true that the Newsnight report never named the Cabinet Minister involved.  I don't even recall that Mr Meesham named the alleged perpetrator.  I was led to believe that it was a woman by the name of Bercow who tweeted the allegedly accused politician's name.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2231288/Lord-McAlpine-sue-Sally-Bercow-pointing-finger-Newsnight-investigation.html

The main issue is being sidelined once again.  The Big inquiry or any of the small inquiries could be derailed if we allow them to be.  Especially now that a Rose has appeared  by the botanical name of Davidii.  Wasn't that rose full of thorns the last time it was used in an abuse inquiry?

http://aangirfan.blogspot.com/2012/11/rose.html

I always thought that roses smelt beautifully perfumed but there again modern ones often don't have any scent at all but the rose above has a bit of a stench to it.

Cali :(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:05:48 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
Newsnight didn't name him but everyone on the inside knew who they meant. They didn't approach him to ask him for his response to the accusation. The report was prepared in association with The Bureau of Investigative Journalism's Angus Stickler. Before the report went out, Iain Overton (just resigned) tweeted that Newsnight was going to name the person. However, there was already a lot of scepticism about the story and that this was a misidentification.

Steve Messham genuinely believed the peer in question was one of his abusers, as did several other of the victims. One mystery is: why did the Welsh police tell them this? Because of the ongoing inquiry the police are refusing to comment.

It is all very strange but if the journalists had done their footwork, they would have know that the story was wrong. The Guardian cleared it up by making two phone calls.

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »
Newsnight didn't name him but everyone on the inside knew who they meant. They didn't approach him to ask him for his response to the accusation. The report was prepared in association with The Bureau of Investigative Journalism's Angus Stickler. Before the report went out, Iain Overton (just resigned) tweeted that Newsnight was going to name the person. However, there was already a lot of scepticism about the story and that this was a misidentification.

Steve Messham genuinely believed the peer in question was one of his abusers, as did several other of the victims. One mystery is: why did the Welsh police tell them this? Because of the ongoing inquiry the police are refusing to comment.

It is all very strange but if the journalists had done their footwork, they would have know that the story was wrong. The Guardian cleared it up by making two phone calls.

I feel very sorry and agrieved for Steve Messham that journalist's version of events was wrong.  I know that he said the Welsh Police told him that it was this certain politician and I can't understand why the Welsh Police did this either unless they were diverting attention from the real culprit.  Would they do this?  Yes I think they would if they were in any way colluding with the real perpetrator.  All the more reason why this disgusting affair should be dealt with for once and for all time.

I should hate to think there will be a new cover up and another person be knighted for a task well done at the end of it!

FRANKLY!  This is all wrong! In my humble opinion, of course.

Cali
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 01:01:44 AM »
My reading of it was that procedure was not followed because there was really no precedent for this kind of suspension, it had never happened before.

In the sense that he was suspended without due procedure on the basis of a half-complete interim report from the Met that only Warcup saw? You only have to read the conclusions of the Napier report to know why Ian le Marquand was bumbling and confused during that hearing:

"I have identified several failings of a procedural nature in the handling
of the suspension of Mr Power, and I will not repeat here the details of matters
set out in the above paragraphs. Whatever view may now be taken of the
substantive criticisms that have been made of Mr Power’s conduct of the
historic abuse inquiry, the basis on which he was suspended on 12 November
2008 was in my view inadequate. There was at the time a lack of hard
evidence against him showing lack of competence in relation to the running of
the historic abuse enquiry. Too much reliance was placed on information
coming from one source, Mr David Warcup."

We know that Andrew Lewis was 'confused' when he told the States how he was 'shocked' when he saw the Met report, because he never actually saw it. Ogley was equally 'shocked' when he didn't see it. He was so shocked, he shredded his notes about how shocked he was.

Ian le Marquand was shocked when Warcup told him how shocked the other two were. And then he had to confront the clinical analysis of Dr T Brain, which is why I think le Marquand was flailing around, because he knew the States didn't have a leg to stand on.

And that was before Power and his representatives were even given a chance to rebut the accusations against him. Which is is something else everyone was shocked by - that they just ran out of time, given three years to do it in.

I used to think that there was a conspiracy behind all this but I don't any more. I just think everybody was so shocked that they couldn't think straight for a few years. Frank Walker was so shocked that he personally amended Bill Ogley's contract so that he got 2.5 years of his annual salary should he have to leave early (how prescient was that?). The meeting at which that happened was never minuted or the minutes were shredded. How shocking!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:03:45 PM by Rob Kent »

Offline danrok

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:52 AM »
No need for tasers by the sound of it!

Online boatyboy

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:47 AM »
Two big men dressed in black, looking like doorman asked politely if they could enter my home. I asked who they were, and was told BBC license investigators. The good news is that I had found out ( cannot remember where )that the BBC bods have no right of entry, none at all. I refused utterly, and told them they had no legal right of entry and get a new  person to run BBC Jersey that cares about balance, and bring back the phone in.

I was going for a meeting and short of time. I told my good lady that should they try and gain entry when I was out of sight call the police as they are trespassing. They new I new the law, and left after using some bad language.

For more information check out youtube there are some excellent real life filmed examples of how the BBC agents try and get in, they even brought the police with a warrant in one. Still no entry after some legal arguments even the police backed down.

The BBC do not have the powers they assume.

Hold on a mo..

Could not find the one I watched but this is actually better, you will not believe the truth and the BBC lies ?

A few minutes viewing that will probably change your entire view on how the BBC do business, ah yes someone must give the boss £450,000 golden handshake for 54 days work  !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3N-_q3pVek

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:08:00 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
Two big men dressed in black, looking like doorman asked politely if they could enter my home. I asked who they were, and was told BBC license investigators. The good news is that I had found out ( cannot remember where )that the BBC bods have no right of entry, none at all. I refused utterly, and told them they had no legal right of entry and get a new  person to run BBC Jersey that cares about balance, and bring back the phone in.

I was going for a meeting and short of time. I told my good lady that should they try and gain entry when I was out of sight call the police as they are trespassing. They new I new the law, and left after using some bad language.

For more information check out youtube there are some excellent real life filmed examples of how the BBC agents try and get in, they even brought the police with a warrant in one. Still no entry after some legal arguments even the police backed down.

The BBC do not have the powers they assume.

Hold on a mo..

Could not find the one I watched but this is actually better, you will not believe the truth and the BBC lies ?

A few minutes viewing that will probably change your entire view on how the BBC do business, ah yes someone must give the boss £450,000 golden handshake for 54 days work  !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3N-_q3pVek

Boatyboy.

Time to assert our freedom from kiddy fiddler protectors methinks.

Cali

Online boatyboy

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »

Just caught a SKY news story on Nick Cleggs first phone in. What a nightmare for him as John phoned and put some awkward difficult questions and made some hard statements.

The producer later interviewed on SKY said that politicians lived far away from reality and Nick Clegg  wanted to hear what people really thought. This was not a one off programme as the article below announces .

Why not in Jersey ? Could it be that the blogs are more informed than many of the Ministers and Chief Executives about Jersey’s problems ? Fair play to Nick
Clegg a man with backbone.

As reported.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is preparing for his first weekly radio phone-in as he attempts to reconnect with voters.
Nick Clegg blasted by liberal voter

http://news.sky.com/story/1036006/nick-clegg-is-blasted-by-lib-dem-voter

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is preparing for his first weekly radio phone-in as he attempts to reconnect with voters.

The Liberal Democrat leader will take calls from listeners to London's LBC 97.3 radio with presenter Nick Ferrari for half-an-hour every Thursday morning.
Listeners will be able to call, email, text or tweet Mr Clegg directly with questions.

"I'm doing this because I don't think politicians get to hear enough from people directly," Mr Clegg said.
"You can't do the right thing in government unless you keep in touch with how people are thinking and feeling."

http://www.lbc.co.uk/nick-clegg-gears-up-for-weekly-radio-phone-in-65631

BB

Offline Dundee

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
It has been done in Jersey, and the politicians and civil servants still squirm, lie, and deceive the public who on the whole are too gullible or uninterested to be bothered, hence we have such a dire bunch elected in at the moment.
Not sure what it will take to open the eyes of the public, to say it is blogs and citizens media is also very naive as 75% of them spout absolute twaddle that has liitle meaning or relevance to what is actually happening or needs to be done.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »
Which blogs would that be Dundee?
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Dundee

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 04:24:42 AM »
Tony Bellows is one good one that I can think of that gives a balanced and well researched comments.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
The BBC is a private company but funded by the license fee amounting to over £3.6 billion a year plus extra income from the sale of tickets productions etc.

Is BBC Jersey unbiased ? and reporting in a fair and professional ethical manner ?

Is BBC Jersey in the pockets and being controlled by high level members of the Jersey Government ?

If BBC wants and subscribes to open debate, giving the islanders a voice, why shortly after Jon Gripton arrival, was the phone in scrapped ? the one hour public contribution on all matters that often criticised the decisions of Government to be replaced by nothing actually  ? The politics hour, I suggest a weak sham with rarely meaningful debate, and in mini poll snapshot, none of the people I know make any effort to tune in, such is the weak content.

It appears VFC have been noticing other communication put out by a BBC Journalist which direct the public to hate sites, please click on link to view the whole article.

VFC

Before I embark on submitting my complaint against yourself, and Ms. Flanagan, could you please detail for me the extent of your "investigation" and if you still maintain that Ms. Flanagan was making other journalists "aware" of the "hate site" rather than "promoting" it?

Jon Gripton head of BBC Jersey.

If you wish to take the matter further, I have given you details of the BBC Complaints procedure.
Furthermore, as per my email to you of 26 April 2012, I again formally request that you do not publish our email conversations on your blog without prior consent.?If you wish a response to be 'for publication' then please make this clear in advance. Failure to agree or to adhere to this request may prevent me from corresponding with you, and may result in redress where appropriate.

http://voiceforchildren.blogspot.com

bb

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:32:04 PM by boatyboy »

Offline danrok

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
Sending an email with some confidentiality notice on it is nonsensical, email is not in way a secure or private method of communication, and there is no "redress" unless the recipient has signed some form of non-disclosure agreement.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »

One would hope maybe expect the local BBC to air views from islanders whether they agree or disagree. In fact, is that not the purpose of a supposed world class media, to reflect on the happenings in our society and island ? To give everyone a voice and grab the interest of the population. One of the first programmes to be scrapped, under the axe of  John Gripton was the popular and admittedly controversial, only an hour a day phone in, where people from all walks of life could express personal opinions.

It appears that John Gripton is becoming more unpopular than a hangover, and should be moved out of Jersey leaving the way for a more media friendly, and open minded BBC Jersey top editor. See an interesting and balanced viewpoint on the blog linked below which IMO makes Mr Griptons stay questionable.

Quote:

But here were have the head of the local BBC actually endorsing and promoting a bully.

http://sammezec.blogspot.co.uk