Author Topic: BBC reporting in Jersey is it worth the licence fee.  (Read 26705 times)

Online boatyboy

BBC reporting in Jersey is it worth the licence fee.
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »
I started writing a book here and then thoughtwhat am I doing ? The truth and nothing but the truth. With all the powerful stories in the Channel Islands, in the public domain at the moment no doubt BBC Southwest as usual getting information from the Channel Islands BBC ( hi Ryan ) will be buzzing tonight.

BBC Southwest main content.

Headline story, Potato growers having bad season, but no - actually others are doing well after a slow start.

Then wait for it,

Four people hurt as horse carriage hits hedge and overturns.

Nothing like keeping it in the family and away from the UK is that not the case Jon Grifton boss of Jersey BBC. No doubt about it not worth the licence fee, while other parts of the BBC are excellent, but I live in Jersey. Any chance of some real in depth reporting, why not put a call through to the spin doctors employed by the States and ask their permission, sorry looks like you have already.

BB

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:24:49 AM by boatyboy »

Offline BigDK

Re: BBC reporting in Jersey is it worth the licence fee.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
Could not believe what I was watching on their news coverage at 10.25 last night. Top story about potatoes followed by people giving out water on the streets of St Peters Port. Am sure it can't be too hard to come up with a couple of interesting stories for 5 minutes. How embarrassing!!

Offline Dundee

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »
I started writing a book here and then thoughtwhat am I doing ? The truth and nothing but the truth. With all the powerful stories in the Channel Islands, in the public domain at the moment no doubt BBC Southwest as usual getting information from the Channel Islands BBC ( hi Ryan ) will be buzzing tonight.

Nothing like keeping it in the family and away from the UK is that not the case Jon Grifton boss of Jersey BBC. No doubt about it not worth the licence fee, while other parts of the BBC are excellent, but I live in Jersey. Any chance of some real in depth reporting, why not put a call through to the spin doctors employed by the States and ask their permission, sorry looks like you have already.

BB

Why not submit your book Batty then we can all have a laugh, if your not happy with the Beeb then try the JEP, Channel TV or one of the
numerous blogs, there is plenty of news and reporters out there if you open your eyes, it should not take much to entertain your mind  ;)

Online boatyboy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
A private company purchased a Congo dept for $3 million dollars then takes the Congo ( a poor country ) to court for $100 million in Jersey's Royal Court, one of the very few jurisdictions to allow this sort of piracy. The Royal Court in Jersey said yes Congo must pay the Appeal Court in London said Jersey's Royal Court was wrong and quashed the big payday for the Vulture clipping it's wings.

Hear Tim Jones talking about why Vulture funds are wrong and basically banned as he runs rings in research and intellect around one of BBC Jersey's bosses Matthew Price, who correctly pointed out of if its money is stored here that doesn't mean its illegal, it's only business, yep at who's cost, do we actually know or care ? 

This must be one of the most explicit and colourful example's showing BBC Jersey's biased interviewing, but not interviewing, more trying to win the argument - actually taking the States insular way of thinking trying to spin it, and putting it on radio.

Listen by using the link below, did BBC Jersey do the island proud by reflecting the views of the people or tow the line for the lawyers and Judiciary of the States ?

Thanks again to the excellent - thejerseyway - who record and archive, so we might listen again, and make up our own minds.

http://thejerseyway.blogspot.com/

bb

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:04:22 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »
Absolutely Shameful that the BBC should try to defend the States of Jersey over the debt that the Congo owe.
All it takes is for Jersey to adopt the English law on this subject,no need to draft a law by Jersey when a law already exist.
So who is making money out of this in Jersey?

Online boatyboy

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:51:58 AM »
What you are about to read is all on the BBC yes the real £3.5 Biliion pound licence fee funded BBC face book page.

Jon Gripton is the head honcho that was sent to Jersey to retire at an out post why because of his moral ethics maybe ? He would have been more use to the BBC licence payer if he had actually retired, rather than messing up a poor and close to useless BBC local station even further by scrapping the phone in when he turned up for work. Yes it was sometimes boring but at least gave the people a voice, even Bridgett God bless her. I digress sorry.

The colours of the local BBC are nailed to the mast in a couple sentences in Jersey found on its own Facebook page below.. A bigger more formal investigation is taking place by the Met. in the UK. Jersey will have its own.

The BBC Jersey says…………………….. on its face book page,

Question asked by BBC Jersey facebook page.

Morning, Chris here. Talking about Jimmy Savile today. More people are making allegations of child abuse against him. BUT is it right to drag all this up now that he's dead and can't defend himself - especially as there are claims it could damage the charities which his legacy benefits?

Read it carefully. The above question from the Jersey branch of the British Broadcasting Corporation.

------------------------------------------

Paul Bentley I think the BBC , in asking this question, have got it very wrong.
Especially as it looks like they were covering it up.

5 hours ago via mobile · 3..

Trevor Richomme Yes you are right there Paul, the good old BBC have got a lot wrong on child abuse. They have pushed the Government Line over here now for over 4 years that it wasn't as bad as a couple of silly cops were saying & now they are getting proved WRONG. Ware is this going to end. The BBC should start being truthful & not just saying what our Government want them to tell us.

4 hours ago via mobile · 1.

Jon S Haworth Surprised we haven't heard from Noel Edmonds. They used to share Top of the Pops.

4 hours ago..

BBC Jersey Our question was clumsy, and we are in no way dismissive of abuse victims. Radio Jersey interviewed one of Savile's alleged victims on air this week, and continues to investigate the aspects of the case pertaining to the island. Today on air we looked at the impact of the case on several charities. Jon Gripton, Editor.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3591695769525894359&postID=3915367183047519489

You really could not make it up, bring back the phone for one hour each day, I guess the BBC are just to scared of the truth in Jersey ! Maybe another leaving dinner party in the parade italian restaurant to say goodbye to Mr Gripton may soon be on the cards, if the UK bosses want BBC Jersey to start telling the truth and  report honestly to save it's universal diving reputation.

Boatyboy.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:29:23 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
I am waiting to see or hear just how the BBC is going to change over the child abuse stories that they have been putting out on behalf of the establishment party.
They now know thsat they had got it wrong siding with the est.party so where do they go from here?
Yes bring back the phone in!

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
It's interesting that Haut de La Garenne is now - in the eyes of the UK media, with relation to Jimmy Saville - the place where a lot of child abuse happened, and the line pushed by Warcup / Gradwell in 2008, which was hugely dismissive of those claims has been largely forgotten.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »

Lord Patten is a clever articulate man who is the chairman of the BBC trust.

I have emailed him with a short note bringing his attention to BBC Jersey and their abysmal reporting which is imbalanced  and screamed of bias at the Gradwell media pantomime as one obvious example.

A few more short emails from local Jersey people would no doubt  get Jersey noticed and there has never been a better time to get his attention.

Regarding Savile’s time at the BBC Lord Patten says,

Quote :-

The Jimmy Savile scandal was branded a ‘cesspit’ yesterday by the BBC’s own chairman.

Lord Patten admitted that heads could roll if corporation bosses were found to have acted improperly.

He said he feared that the television and radio star may have been helped in his sordid sexual exploitation of teenage girls by other BBC employees.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215887/Jimmy-Savile-abuse-scandal-CESSPIT-BBC-boss-Lord-Pattens-damning-verdict.html#ixzz290V2UA00

For those of you who want to make your mark, here is his personal Westminster email address, every email helps to shine a light into Jerseys media.

Westminster

Lord Patten of Barnes.

House of Lords, London, SW1A 0PW?Tel: 020 7219 8736?

pattenc@parliament.uk

BB.

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:48:57 AM »
What about finding some people who helped Jimmy Savile while he was in Jersey? I mean, I know it is 'historic abuse' and all that (which is the euphemism the JEP love to use to put it all comfortably behind us), but now that the UK police and the BBC are having to investigate it, shouldn't the Jersey police start their own investigation.

It was not investigated during the HdlG investigation for the reasons stated by Lenny Harper but now there is new and credible evidence, don't the Jersey Police have a duty to open an investigation?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:55:58 AM by Rob Kent »

Online boatyboy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »

The Times - today part of article.

The chairman of the BBC Trust has been warned by the Government to work harder to ensure that the corporation’s inquiry into Jimmy Savile uncovers the full truth about the decades when he was left free to abuse girls and young women.

Licence-fee payers had a right to know what had gone wrong, Lord Patten of Barnes was told by Maria Miller, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.
He was called in by the minister on Wednesday night.

Her intervention emerged as detectives started a criminal investigation into child-abuse allegations against Savile and other figures from the entertainment industry.

The Times understands that the BBC will seek to restore its reputation for editorial integrity.

Source the Times online subscription required or hardcopy.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
For debate   ( but my pennies worth ).

I thought that BBC Jersey did a very good job of interviewing in it's early morning show. It was reasonably far reaching, if uncomfortable at times for the presenter Matthew Price who had his hands full with the experienced speaker Stuart Syret asking him to stop interrupting. He also clearly did not like what UK MP John Hemmings said,  demanding to know if he had proof of his accusations about Jersey. After laughing the MP said of course he did. He is a bigger fish in a much larger pool, and it did seem an infantile question !

Even Ian Le Marquand stated that he could not believe some of the headlines put out by the JEP of course both the JEP and Channel TV ( our news is the best ) declined the invitation to discuss their lousy and biased reporting. We probably all know why ?

It was a joy to hear these subjects aired and although Rico Sorda was well researched he had trouble pinning down the far more slippery Senator Le Marquand. It was always going to be difficult.

More please BBC Jersey, a lot more is exactly what Jersey needs. Go on bring back the phone in if you are keen to embrace an open and transparent proper news room for the islanders.

Hear it again, well worth a listen just hit the links below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiojersey/programmes/schedules/2012/11/8

Also now up on the excellent TJW blog easier to navigate and gets straight to the jugular.

http://thejerseyway.blogspot.com

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:19:49 AM by boatyboy »

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
I too thought this is something we need more of, and all in all went reasonably well.

Rico put on an excellent display, and had he been given the air time he probably needed, I am sure could have nailed Ian Le Marquand pretty well.

Jon Gripton however was so evasive as to be an embarrassment. Why on earth did he have to keep talking about the documents he 'may or may not have', when the whole Island and its brother know full well he has Graham Powers statement!

Rather slimey excuse from Karen Rankine for not being there, and if there was any statement from the JEP I did not hear it, but would probably have been as dismal as their reporting anyway!

Monday's forthcoming programme on BBC TV should make for interesting viewing as well.

Well done the bloggers!

Online boatyboy

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
There can be no doubt in my mind, a big  " bazooka " has been aimed at BBC Jersey from who knows where, but probably a high hill which oversees the Jersey outpost in order to improve the quality and balance of its journalism and reports.

Not only were leading bloggers interviewd and Stuart Syvret given air time but late yesterday as I tuned in to hear the local latest local story of alleged corrupt banking at HSBC Bank, a lady journalist from the BBC Jersey was doing exactly the right the thing, in grilling with the heat turned up to ten ( from the part I caught ) of Mr John Harris head of Jersey Finance Commission asking what checks the JFC carries out on big banks like HSBC ? He did not sound at all comfortable and could not escape with lack lustre answers, she cornered him.

Then it order to get balance after interviewing the local head of  Jersey Regulation, the BBC spoke to an outside critic to get his viewpoint, the well known Richard Murphy by tele conferencing, he was damming of course of Jersey's banking culture.

This was Journalism at its most open and best and frankly shows that the BBC can do excellent reporting when it wishes to. Although a different medium left the other commercial local news outlets trailing far behind in the rear view mirror to become distant specks.

This then puts the question on the table, if Jon Gripton head Poncho, has had a change of heart and wants the BBC Jersey to suddenly ask the big questions, why has it taken so long, why close down the popular peoples phone in programme that let islanders air their heart felt views on local subjects and politics and although this new direction is welcome has he left it to late for to long?

Quote:

But when it's done, we'll be taking a look at 'Media in Microcosm' - drawing a few parallels - and looking at such matters as editorial decisions - in respect of evidenced stories.

And contemplating what the unavoidable and imminent resignation of BBC Jersey's Jon Gripton means for media standards in Jersey.

The conduct of the BBC in Jersey - and that of Jersey's own mini press baronetcy - will make fruitful, and analogous study, given the storms that rage about the press, the and BBC at national level.

It isn't going to be pretty.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?postID=7571817251722739987&blogID=7124117913567332282&isPopup=false&page=3

BB

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:11:38 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »
My reading of this is that the BBC went into a headless-chicken panic after the Savile affair and made several knee-jerk reactions, one of which was the terrible Newsnight report.

But before the Newsnight report, they were dealing with/sitting on a number of complaints about bias at BBC Jersey. I had at least one outstanding to which they kept sending me stalling emails to the effect that they were looking into it. Next thing, to my astonishment, they invite all of the establishment critics and bloggers to appear on one prime-time radio programme. The timing of that decision is not accidental I think and it could have easily blown up in their face like the Newsnight one did.

But the fact that they now allow those voices to be heard after three years of publishing the establishment defamations against Graham Power and Lenny Harper does not compensate for the fact that they were not objective and impartial during that period.

Jon Gripton was unconvincing when Neil put it to him that he had published the prosecution case against Graham Power but not the defence one. Also, they did not answer the accusation that the Wiltshire Report was an internal, confidential, pre-disciplinary report that was only to be seen by the parties involved. Why did Le Marquand publicly reveal it? Why did all Jersey media publish its details? And why wasn't the defence case published with equal prominence?

Also, Gripton's defence that the critics voices have been heard does not stack up. There is a major difference between a banner headline accusing Lenny Harper of incompetence and graft (paying NOTW reporters) and then allowing someone on a phone-in to say that is not true. One is the main item on the evening news, listened to and believed by a large portion of the population; the other is characterized as the small voice of a conspiracy theorist.

Does everyone remember when Perchard was in the BBC studio and Neil called in and Perchard referred to him as a 'benefit scrounger'? This is what we are talking about here. It's not good enough for Le Marquand and Gripton to say, 'You do get heard - you have your blogs, your phone-ins'. Well the truth is, that if the Jersey establishment had their way, they would silence all those blogs with all their uncomfortable truths and their stupid evidence. Wasn't Stuart Syvret sent to jail for what he had on his blog? Isn't there currently a 'super-injunction' against him to stop him writing about several individuals? And isn't he threatened with a return to jail unless he redacts all of their names from his site?

The bloggers have fought to get the opposing views across in the face of ridicule, threats, legal threats, and a mass of spin and propaganda from the likes of the JEP. BBC Jersey has been asleep on the job and Jon Gripton's feted investigative journalists failed to investigate Graham Power's 63,000 word defence against Wiltshire or Lenny Harper's High Court affidavit. They apparently thought that Ian Le Marquand's tendentious and selective quotation from a confidential disciplinary report was good enough for them.

Anybody who has read the transcripts of the initial hearings between Ian Le Marquand and Dr. T. Brain (Chairman of the Chief Police Officers Staff Association) can see that Dr T Brain destroyed everything to do with Power's suspension in a couple of withering attacks. The fact that they didn't follow procedure, the fact that Ian le Marquand was conflicted, the fact that there was no substantive complaint, just a fishing expedition - he exposed it for what it was: an act of political expediency.

The evidence is out there, but all the Jersey media have chosen to ignore it for the last three years and have carried on  repeating the initial smears and lies against Harper and Power. So, I am sorry, but they are party to the cover up of child abuse on Jersey.

I will be interested to receive the response to my complaint to the BBC.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:58:31 PM by Rob Kent »