Author Topic: Good Government in Jersey ?  (Read 9756 times)

Offline boatyboy

Good Government in Jersey ?
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
The secrets out, actually it has been for a couple of years and now this is confirmed by a  " secret report ".

If Chief Minister Gorst and the council of ministers want to be respected, then they need to adopt honesty, integrity and the truth underpinned with transparency. Therefore obviously this report should be released. The public know the details anyway thanks to Rico Sorda's deep and painstaking reporting.

If there are consequences so be it,  people should not have abused their positions or taken the road they did. Interesting photo in the JEP, who is the more guilty ?

The only real question is when will this Government -   earn -   the respect of the people.

JEP

A SECRET statement made to the States about the suspension of a former police chief was misleading and should be made public, according to a St Helier Deputy.

Deputy Mike Higgins believes that the statement made ‘in camera’ in the States by former Home Affairs Minister Andrew Lewis in December 2008 into the reasons why Graham Power was suspended was misleading.

Mr Power was suspended in November 2008 by Mr Lewis over the handling of the historical child abuse inquiry.

Deputy Higgins has lodged a proposition asking the States to agree to make public Deputy Lewis’s statement and the questions to the minister that followed.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/2012/05/25/minister-‘misled-states’-over-police-chief’s-suspension/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:12:26 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
Re: Good Government in Jersey ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:40:39 PM »
The secrets out, actually it has been for a couple of years and now this is confirmed by a  " secret report ".

If Chief Minister Gorst and the council of ministers want to be respected, then they need to adopt honesty, integrity and the truth underpinned with transparency. Therefore obviously this report should be released. The public know the details anyway thanks to Rico Sorda's deep and painstaking reporting.

If there are consequences so be it,  people should not have abused their positions or taken the road they did. Interesting photo in the JEP, who is the more guilty ?

The only real question is when will this Government -   earn -   the respect of the people.

JEP

A SECRET statement made to the States about the suspension of a former police chief was misleading and should be made public, according to a St Helier Deputy.

Deputy Mike Higgins believes that the statement made ‘in camera’ in the States by former Home Affairs Minister Andrew Lewis in December 2008 into the reasons why Graham Power was suspended was misleading.

Mr Power was suspended in November 2008 by Mr Lewis over the handling of the historical child abuse inquiry.

Deputy Higgins has lodged a proposition asking the States to agree to make public Deputy Lewis’s statement and the questions to the minister that followed.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/2012/05/25/minister-‘misled-states’-over-police-chief’s-suspension/

Yes!  When WILL they let this not so secret rabbit out of the bag I wonder :(  Shame on you States Assembly.

I must say here that often of late I have really been derogatory about States Members and I wish it to  be known that I don't tar them all with the same brush as we do have some really valuable progressives in the States Assembly now and more power to their elbow.

Cali :)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:08:54 AM »
I ask you is this democracy in action or Feudalism ?

Big thanks to TonyTheprof for bringing it to our attention there is a lot more on his site, please follow link lower down.

Quote:-

Deputy M.R. Higgins: If I can respectfully disagree and I will state why I believe it is a question of privilege. This House is a sovereign parliament and it should be for Members of this House to decide if a proposition is in accordance with Standing Orders and the Bailiff's 3 tests it should be decided upon by Members of this House who have the ultimate authority in these matters.

The Deputy Bailiff: Very well, I rule against you. It is not a matter of privilege because the Standing Orders make it plain that a Member has no right to lodge a proposition without the leave of the Bailiff. That leave has not yet been given and therefore no issue of privilege currently arises.

http://tonymusings.blogspot.co.uk/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:53:10 AM by boatyboy »

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »
This is where it all started. The original suspension of Graham Power. The suspension was a complete sham so ILM had to do away with it. All the evidence and more is on my blog. I have exposed this 100%.

So, why does Senator Ozouf get battered and pulled over the coals for his treatment of Civil servants and Senator Le Marquand can just sit there and get away it?????????????

Have people forgotten what he did to Graham Power???

What a shambles of Government

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Online Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 05:07:43 AM »
Well we know that ILM should go as well as ozouf.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 06:02:10 AM »
The Heart of the islands only newspaper is not allowing YOU to comment on this story.

Reasons why ?

1)  The IT man had to dive to the loo and forgot to enable comments.

2)  Frank Walker OBE and Kevin Lewis are local Heroes and only praise would be put up therefore no point.

3) The JEP thinks that the peasants in Jersey are so thick that will not notice they are not allowed to comment.

4)  This story is of great interest / worry to some -politicians, we don't want to offend our special friends by the public commenting.

5) The guys and girls at the Chief Ministers public relations office proof- read the article and asked for comments to be disabled.

6)  Its all just a wonderful newspapers way of saying  " up yours ", we decide when you can speak.

7)  None of the above, make up your own comment.

BB
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:12:27 AM by boatyboy »

Offline danrok

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »
Apparently, they're also behind the national press in North Korea.

Online Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 03:55:10 AM »
I find it hard to bring myself to believe what i am reading in the JEP front page about ozouf.
He really has upset his party ( establishment ) for this to happen. they must realise now that he will not get in on the next elections and in the meantime is really giving the party a very very bad name so get him out. This just leaves ILM and Pip. Well ILM should go as well and we just need Pip to go then the Island might just get the government it deserves . So are we seeing the JEP hoping to get more people to buy their paper because of their printing the truth for once and not hiding behind the power and wealthy people in this Island.
Power to the people.

Offline danrok

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
There's also questions being raised over customs, and the drop in drug seizures at the ports.

The question, apparently from Deputy Sean Power, asks if they have been put under pressure by the Treasury to focus on fag and booze duty.

Is it coincidence, or is that being used as another line of attack on Philip Ozouf?

If the allegation is true, it would be a good example of a short-sighted minister (there's plenty of them), chasing short-term gains in duty, at the expense of long-term issues, i.e. drug abuse.

I think we all know how politicians will pursue things which can result in a short-term success, so that they can use that to big themselves up at the next election.

We've had too much of that in the past, which is why we're now facing a black-hole in the finances.

Online Fritz

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 04:37:26 AM »
Post Removed.

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE SOME EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT YOUR STATEMENT FRITZ SHARE IT WITH US PLEASE OR REMOVE THE POST THIS IS A PERSONAL ATTACK !

You have until 1.00pm tomorrow.

Thanks

SHREK
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:18:35 PM by Shrek »

Offline charlie Boy

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 01:32:54 AM »
The Heart of the islands only newspaper is not allowing YOU to comment on this story.

Reasons why ?

1)  The IT man had to dive to the loo and forgot to enable comments.

2)  Frank Walker OBE and Kevin Lewis are local Heroes and only praise would be put up therefore no point.

3) The JEP thinks that the peasants in Jersey are so thick that will not notice they are not allowed to comment.

4)  This story is of great interest / worry to some -politicians, we don't want to offend our special friends by the public commenting.

5) The guys and girls at the Chief Ministers public relations office proof- read the article and asked for comments to be disabled.

6)  Its all just a wonderful newspapers way of saying  " up yours ", we decide when you can speak.

7)  None of the above, make up your own comment.

BB

Boatyboy

Don't confuse Deputy Andrew Lewis of st john former minister of Home Assairs with Deputy Kevin Lewis St Saviour (no relation) Minister for TTS.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:22:14 AM »

Welcome Charlie Boy, you are correct,

It was Andrew Lewis my mistake, apologies to Kevin Lewis if he has read this and even if he has not.

BB

Online Fritz

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Post Removed.

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE SOME EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT YOUR STATEMENT FRITZ SHARE IT WITH US PLEASE OR REMOVE THE POST THIS IS A PERSONAL ATTACK !

You have until 1.00pm tomorrow.

Thanks

SHREK

Which post are you referring to? I cannot see it.

PS: Shouting, (Caps Lock), is considered to be rude online.
Are you, personally attacking me?
Is this some sort of vendetta following on from your very rude pm,s previously?

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 03:00:26 AM »
As the world gently changes so do the creatures that inhabit this wonderful world.

Of course the States of Jersey are full of creatures that hate change, they have good reason, Jersey works just fine for them, the secrecy, the power, the expensive world girdling first class trips, the pomp and ceremony all paid for by the taxpayer.

The peasants ( thats us of course ) that don't understand the debates or the fact they must pay more taxes to keep us in clover. The reality is you might be surprised that Jersey is an island of readers and would you believe it, we can actually write and are reasonably well educated, bloody drat.

To make matters worse we have modern technology probably bought for our kids ( by the older generation ) but they have taught us how easy it is to Google and read blogs like Rico Sorda, VFC and God forbid who won the Brazilian football league if we wish. Its all there for us to read and we certainly do.

Of course some of the old guard are so entrenched in their own importance to see the game is up, it is over - Kaputt - secrets are for lovers, and have no place in a good democratic Government.

Let us focus on how and why ?

Firstly good members of the States and inspired civil servants, when money was flowing proposed Hansard, and a Gov. website. A little grin might appear on the sceptics faces, thinking their names would be put up in lights, ok not lights but screens throughout the world. This is Minister so and so in charge of ………………….   pampering by publishing.

Now we know that Ozouf ( to his credit and of blog fame ) Ferguson, Higgins, Tadier, Pitman, Crowcroft, and other States members have been ambassadors for open and transparent Government, they are open and intelligent enough to understand.

The old school, especially Senator Bailhache, Routier, Ian Le Marquand, loath transparency for reasons not yet published, but we can all take guesses !

I advocate secrecy when it comes to national security or medical records. These seriously never appear in debates in Jersey's assembly.

Fifty-one politicians working for the people, are not elected by the people to high office to protect their lying fellow politicians or Senior or other civil servants giving them suitcases of money in, to do so is corruption ?

Truth, honesty, integrity and transparency the hall marks of good Government with nothing to hide.

BB

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:04:54 AM by boatyboy »

Offline man in the street

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
 i could not agree more boatboy.
 the wall scrapers will be required as no one will be able to turn off the fan and the room resembles the bed sheet scene from trainspotting .
 i am so glad  that at least one of our elected has  told the truth indirectly.
 thing is , if they had put their hands up from the outset instead of  reaching for the broom  and  heaving up the carpet. jersey would appear in a better light