Author Topic: Disposal of Foul Sewage  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
Disposal of Foul Sewage
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
I have just received an email from the States of Jersey which I think could have serious implications on the citizens of Jersey who would be wise if they read this very carefully and consider offering their suggestions for debate - if you think they will be listened to, of course.  Is it likely we could all be paying for disposal of sewage in future.  I think there is a little matter of cleaning of nitrites or is it nitrates regarding the exhaustive potatoe growing industry.  I may be wrong but go look at the paper and make your own minds up.

The Department of the Environment has published a consultation paper on the Disposal of Foul Sewage which explains the department's proposals to introduce planning guidance on the treatment and disposal of domestic sewage from new developments.
The minister would like to hear the views of those interested in and affected by the guidance. The minister also wants views about the long-term direction of the Island's strategy for the treatment and disposal of foul sewage.
There are a number of ways of responding to this consultation, which you can view online. If you would like a paper copy of the documents, please call 448409.

http://www.gov.je/Government/Consultations/Pages/DomesticSewage.aspx

http://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDocuments/Government%20and%20administration/C%20DraftGuidanceDisposalFoulSewage%2020120203%20SH.pdf

http://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDocuments/Government%20and%20administration/C%20DisposalFoulSewage%2020120203%20SH.pdf

once you have read the proposals you can take part in an online survey here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XHXXFH5

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:24:36 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
Re: Disposal of Foul Sewage
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
I haven't read it, but I guess they are not advocating composting toilets.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
Well yes we all know what is coming and that is tax on waste disposal which they have mentioned a few times in the past. Well now it is coming!

Offline Lokel_Yokel

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »
I see no harm in simply extending the sewage outfall to the Minkies (or beyond - or towards Guernsey  ;D).......the fish have to eat  :P

Can always say that it is a temporary measure / to cope with unexpected demand.........on the same basis that everything that passes through Bellozane is not called untreated sewage - even if all that happens is that someone has waived at the turds as they pass through.........
Say No to the Woo!

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »
Well i can remember swimming in the sea as a child and coming across "Brown Trouts" etc i do not wish to see those days come back.
As for Guersney i am very surprised that they will keep on putting their foul water into the sea. This will do nothing for their tourist industry. I always thought thsat there was a law against putting waste into ther sea. It may not come onto Guersney's beach but it must turn up along the French coast or somewhere else.

Offline Bachus

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
The ability of released sewage to form part of the food chain should not be underestimated !
Yes it is disgusting to see float by you whilst having a swim , but it,s chances of reaching France are quite remote .When you fly Aurigny   Guernsey/Jersey , ever noticed a large brown slick? I don,t think its oil from the Torrey Canyon circa 1974 ,yup i think its donkey poo !

Offline danrok

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 11:03:39 PM »
When you fly Aurigny   Guernsey/Jersey , ever noticed a large brown slick? I don,t think its oil from the Torrey Canyon circa 1974 ,yup i think its donkey poo !

It's not as bad as it sounds, so long as all rubbish is removed first, and the outfall is long enough - which is where Guernsey is failing.

Elsewhere sewage flows on a large scale, down rivers into wetland areas, it all works perfectly, and provides good fishing!

The problem with the sea is that, unlike a river, it doesn't flow in one direction.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 02:02:30 AM »
It's not as bad as it sounds, so long as all rubbish is removed first, and the outfall is long enough - which is where Guernsey is failing.

Elsewhere sewage flows on a large scale, down rivers into wetland areas, it all works perfectly, and provides good fishing!

The problem with the sea is that, unlike a river, it doesn't flow in one direction.

I was looking forward to a few spider crabs this year, now I am not so sure!!