Author Topic: States live streaming  (Read 1866 times)

Offline newmac

States live streaming
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »
Does anybody know why CTV live States streaming is delayed by about 15 seconds?

Offline man in the street

Re: States live streaming
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
not sure but  when we had analogue tv, eastenders started first before  sky tv, 15 seconds  can give delay to pull the plug if  there is a  outbusrt, that maybe described as not in the public interest, but may be very interesting to the public , time yourself on  a rehearsed blast of truth, you can say quite a bit .
 the delay on the tv  was about two / three seconds .

Offline newmac

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:02 PM »
I've just timed it and the delay is 25 seconds

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »
It will be a delay in processing the audio and publishing it - if you compare more or less any internet version of a radio station to the FM version there will be a delay.

Offline newmac

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
Cheers Ryan, I new there was a simple explanation

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
Watching tennis on SKY and the sound on normal TV is weird. The ball in the air then you hear the bang of it being hit.

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
Watching tennis on SKY and the sound on normal TV is weird. The ball in the air then you hear the bang of it being hit.

Yes, I used to listen to Radio 5 football commentary while watching the match on digital TV because the quality of it is so much higher, and I like Alan Green. But you hear about goals and misses while the ball was still in the air so I stopped doing it.

The streaming delays also vary between DAB radio, digital TV/radio, and analogue.

If you want to set your clock accurately, which set of pips would you use, since they are several seconds apart? When analogue radio transmissions are ended in 2014, does that mean we can trust the pips, and which ones?

But since many clocks are now automatically synchronized using Network Time Protocol (NTP) the problem goes away.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
 ive just remebered the  speaking clock on the end of a land line
" at the third stroke  it will be 10 27 precisely .pip.pip.pip" they still offer the service  on  number 123. and wondered who would use this service  these days ?
 most have a watch( with battery) a mobile phone , the clock on sky and  our pc or laptop. still think, its to control outbusts , sceptic that i can be at times .