Author Topic: Article on high number of suicides in Jersey!  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
Article on high number of suicides in Jersey!
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »
I am concerned now more than ever about the plight of the depressed in our island.  As if it wasn't bad in previous years for obvious reasons, mostly due to money problems and family problems, the incidences of suicide will sadly be thought to increase and not only in this island.

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/displayarticle.asp?id=497783

The plea, mentioned in the article, for sufferers of depression to contact the Mental Health Department will put an enormous burden upon the social workers and nurses already fighting the battle on the front line and on the streets of Jersey.

So my question to the relevant members of the States of Jersey and the Civil Service is:

What measures are being put in place to ensure that existing patients who are already under the umbrella of the Mental Health Department are being given the best treatment?

How do they intend to give hardworking social workers and nurses the extra time and training (possibly *cognitive therapy treatment) so they may carry out the intensive treatment existing patients and possible future patients may need?

Are they going to give the Social Security Department special training on how to deal with people who may possibly have mental health issues, whilst at the same time giving them extra training on how NOT to make mistakes that may drive people over the edge in times of recession?

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_therapy

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:18:13 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Online Fritz

Re: Article on high number of suicides in Jersey!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »
The, "Higher number of", just about anything in Jersey is simply down to the higher number of people living here.

"Numbers", should be expressed as percentages of population for more accurate statistics.

Offline zoompad

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »
"The, "Higher number of", just about anything in Jersey is simply down to the higher number of people living here"

Would you mind providing the statistics you used to prove that statement please, thanks.

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »
The rates are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_rate

So, Jersey would be about 13 per 100,000.  But, I don't think it is right to compare a small island with a large country.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
The, "Higher number of", just about anything in Jersey is simply down to the higher number of people living here.

"Numbers", should be expressed as percentages of population for more accurate statistics.

That is an interesting observation there Fritz, however it is not a new phenomenom and unfortunately the statistics are rising. When my old man hung himself 20 years or so ago (I am not after any symapthy by the way, i cant even remember the date) it was someething rarely heard about and made the news. Nowadays it is becoming quite commonplace that it only gets a mere mention in the post as "another one bites the dust" so to speak. The thing is for me, is that we are meant to be a small island and a comunity and therefore any person having a tough time should be looked after by our community. What we have become is a complete and utter look after number one and feck everyone else coummuntity and honestly, I find it such a shame that we have become like that.

Online Fritz

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:58:41 AM »
Jersey is no longer a ,"Unique Island". It has just become another town in the South of England or the North of France.
As a community, it is just like any other run down town you can find all over Europe.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
The rates are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_rate

So, Jersey would be about 13 per 100,000.  But, I don't think it is right to compare a small island with a large country.

I agree with you imacrappaud.
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline man in the street

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »
suicide is a subject that has always tended to be swept under the carpet. and the circumstances  surrounding  the  death are  never published , unless you  know  the person or reletives .
 if some are terminaly ill  and you know the final rotten outcome  and not want to  end up in a rotten state , may choose  to make a exit .
 some may say the cowards way out ( yet they are not ill, those who pass judgement ).
 emotional breakdown, another reason.
 and  i had the best out of my life and have no further wish to work for , not a lot and the situation will never improve . another reason to chuck in the towel.
depression  for what ever reason  is a terrible thing, we all hit low points in our lives  at one time or another, the quality of life here in jersey( for myself ) is not what it was  i just seem to go to work and pay the treasurer of the states a good whack of my income, rent, tax and other deductions .
 i can only live in hope of some improvement.

Offline Bachus

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
I think it is fair to say that Jersey has a number of issues, alcohol , drugs, highly stressful jobs, divorce, nah ,i,m not going into the abuse route just to keep Rico happy. Cardiff had a huge number of suicides for  a while , mostly kids following some shite fantasy of rock and roll . We are all surprised when we hear about an friend or colleague who has topped themselves and I just can,t work it out , a lot of those people are not poor, or as we would perceive , desperate. Who knows , but I know I would not take that route unless.......I was looking at 3 months of a crappy exit from planet earth .Anyway I hope that anyone feeling that way will call the Samaritans .

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »
Sadly Bachus when people have reached 'that' point they do not tell anybody - there is no cry for help. The sad deed is done quietly and alone.

There is a huge difference between severe depression and the intention to take ones own life, and it is a very fine line.

However, it is of great concern that so many people feel this way in Jersey, but given the current climate here, is it really any great surprise?

So very, very sad.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:06:35 AM by GeeGee »

Online Fritz

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 01:18:05 AM »
So the multi-storey car park ,"anti-jump", barriers were another waste of money?
Who profited from that expensive exercise?

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:23:18 AM »
nah ,i,m not going into the abuse route just to keep Rico happy.

When it comes to having digs I wonder how cheap anyone can get then I read the above. Pretty low by my standards.

It is a strange thing though like Bachus stated that when people take their own lives and its someone you know you cant understand why, especially when things seem to be going swimmingly well for them but that only goes to prove that the things in life that some people aspire to get dont always acheive the happiness they thought will go hand in hand with their achievements.

I think it comes down to how your brain etc is wired and if you ever entertain the thought of suicide just how your mind copes with it. Of course there are anti-depressants drugs etc and cognitive therapy and god knows what else to help people along but, and its just an opinion of mine, I think that what really matters is how the individual copes with the first thoughts they might have had. If they arent at least addressed initially then the thought will fester until the individual who might have considered what the consequences are to friends and family forgets them at the moment they make the decission to end their lives.

Well that was a bit thoughtfull for me! One other thing, I would hope anyone comtemplenting (thats a hard word to spell and i know its wrong) suicide would look a little further than just the samaritans for help or that at the least the Samaritans would urge any individual to seek help further than just a phone call.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter, I know its a lot more complicated than just that.

Offline zoompad

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »
The Samaritans can't help anyone who is being relentlessly persecuted by the freemasons. I know that because I phoned them loads of times when I was goling through absolute hell in the secret family courts. I had a mental health helpline to phone, but a very harsh sounding lady told me off one night for hogging the line, I had been on it for half an hour and that was all I was allowed, and I was trying to explain how I was being relentlessly persecuted in the secret family court and how I had been kept against my will in a room with Victim Support not allowed to support me, by my own legal team, trying to force me to sign documents I didnt understand. I suppose the Samaritans probably help some people, but they cant really help victims of the mason persecution, once they get their teeth into a person, they are like pit bull terriers and everyone is too scared of them to do anything about it, in case they go for them as well.

Offline zoompad

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 04:32:05 AM »
I made several suicide attempts that were a cry for help, and one that I meant. God obviously wanted me to live though.

Offline zoompad

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 04:33:59 AM »
I don't know if it is significant, but Cardiff's secret family courts are very active.