Author Topic: Local Media Reporting  (Read 5611 times)

Offline boatyboy

Local Media Reporting
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:37:44 AM »
Why are the main stream media ( msm ) so deafly quiet in Jersey ? Could they be assisting their own demise ?

The mainstream media read this and other citizens media. Times are a changing rapidly helped by technology. As the internet gets more popular amongst all age groups, would it not be an idea for Jerseys msm, to actually report both sides of the story?

The public have access to information at the touch of a few key strokes. Professional news programmes are supposed be an honest reflection of our Island our society its problems its successes and the people who make it what it is. Obviously if only one side of any story is told,  then it either shows the msm are incompetent, lazy or just plain corrupt. Maybe there is another good reason, but I cannot think of one.

The other side of the story.

VFC

For those who only get their “news” from Jersey’s State Media it wouldn’t be un-reasonable to believe that Mr. Syvret is being Non Compliant, however Mr. Syvret, in this exclusive interview, claims that this is not the case.

http://voiceforchildren.blogspot.com/2011/10/stuart-syvret-bbc-and-community-service.html

BB

Offline iruka

Re: Local Media Reporting
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »
Well The Blessed Saint is getting some coverage today - for not being compliant.  ;)

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »

As I watched a TV program, probably the BBC Corporation’s best topical debate and politics offering which is of course,
BBC 1 Question time, I had a thought about the lack of public interaction in Jersey.

St Paul’s Cathedral says David Dimbleby a place of worship also a place to debate the issues of the day.

What is to stop Channel television taking a couple of cameras down to the Town Church, and using the same format ?

Ok maybe to much work for an hours show, but stage it in the studio. It really cannot be that much of a hard job invite five speakers an audience of maybe fifty people. This would certainly boost islanders interest in politics.

If not why not ? Right time to unfreeze Mr Dimbleby and guests and enjoy the debate.

BB

Offline Fritz

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:46:21 AM »
Dont think our, lets just say a wee bit less than professional, (Apart from their wages), politicians would do very well when being questioned by an audience of real professionals.
Just imagine the current planning minister facing questions from Architects and Property Developers on live TV?
Health minister facing questions from doctors,nurses and patients.

Comedy gold.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »
Yes Yes bring it on!!!!!!!!!
Also put bailhache and co into that same situation.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:18 AM »

Light weight stories again on the JEP internet site. Come the election this October, they will pushing for you to vote for the chosen ones. Probably not including the Minister for Planning.

On the newly discovered Bailiwick Express news site something with more substance, for today.

Huge cuts to Planning appeal costs

Wednesday 28 May 2014

Sweeping changes to Planning rules could cut the cost of an appeal from a starting point of £20,000 to less than £600, according to the Planning department.

http://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/huge-cuts-planning-appeal-costs/?t=i#.U4ZaRca9vwI

bb

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 03:52:17 PM »
I am not into hero worship never have been, that is not to say that like most people I appreciate and admire skill, talent and the integrity and tenacity of good people.

This is why I praise a journalist by the name of Andrew Norfolk and write about him here, because he doggedly did not give up, he took on a sour and sad cause and story, and blew the lid off, which would eventually help young abused girls.

He took on the police, the council and disbelievers and beat them all, armed with his pen and of course the truth.The part article below shows why heads should roll as bosses became aware a storm was heading their way and tried desperately to cover their tracks rather than do the right thing.

Andrew Norfolk is one special top quality reporter and human being. I asked myself another question, if by chance he sought to move to Jersey, who would he work for and be free to use his many skills ? Now there is a question to ponder.

Andrew Norfolk  ( writing with associate )

‘seized files in grooming cover-up’

Andrew Norfolk and Billy Kenber

Last updated at 12:04AM, August 29 2014

Senior staff at Rotherham council ordered a raid on one of their offices to remove case files and wipe computer records detailing the scale and severity of the town’s sex-grooming crisis, sources have told The Times

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4190365.ece

He recently won the Paul Foot Award for investigative journalism.

2013 he won the Orwell Prize

http://journalisted.com/andrew-norfolk#tab-work

http://theorwellprize.co.uk/winners/filter/type-Journalism%20Prize/year-2013/

BB,

Note:

The Professor Jay Report just published.

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/1407/independent_inquiry_cse_in_rotherham
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:59:16 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »

Andrew Norfolk is one special top quality reporter and human being. I asked myself another question, if by chance he sought to move to Jersey, who would he work for and be free to use his many skills ? Now there is a question to ponder.

He recently won the Paul Foot Award for investigative journalism.

1) I would also like to show my appreciation for the journalism of Andrew Norfolk.

2) I asked myself that same question before I read your own comment and I came to the conclusion that even if he were deluded enough to want to seek employment in a journalistic desert like Jersey, Mr. Norfolk would never be able to work as a journalist for any of the established Jersey press or media organisations- the Paul Foot Award alone would be enough to get him blacklisted here. However, assuming he was somehow able to slip through the net, he would very quickly find himself heading back to the mainland again, either through disillusionment or because he ignored orders from above, stepped on the toes of someone in high authority and got himself fired.

In this respect, we can draw on the earlier, bitter experiences of Patrick Muirhead, who, after 7 years as a BBC Radio 4 newsreader, spent a brief period of time in Jersey as a news anchor at Channel TV. His co-host was Kristina Moore (AKA "Mrs. Ozouf"), who now sits in the States Assembly as the Deputy for St. Peter (safe government seat). In a 2008 Times article published after he returned to the mainland, he said of Mrs. Moore/Ozouf:

My co-host’s home became a popular salon for politicians and decision-makers. In such an atmosphere of closeness, any meaningful challenge becomes impossible. “You rub people up the wrong way,” she said, primly dismissing my methods.

http://freespeechoffshore.nl/stuartsyvretblog/jerseys-media/

3) Please note that the Paul Foot Award is a joint initiative by The Guardian newspaper and Private Eye. The latter magazine exposes examples of political corruption at council level very regularly, particularly in its 'Rotten Boroughs' column. I thoroughly recommend it:

https://privateeye.subscribeonline.co.uk/gift-subscription-page

https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews

4) I remember reading Paul Foot's weekly column in the Daily Mirror even when I was a teenager, decades before the reality of the world wide web. Amidst a sea of total tabloid mush, he really helped to enlighten me on important issues that I would otherwise have remained in total ignorance about. All that campaigning journalism has now disappeared from the popular red tops and free speech and democratic values have suffered as a consequence.  :(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:19:13 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline man in the street

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »
 ive  being listening  to odd  snippets of  the " rotherham  scandal".
  no doubt  those who  may of  tried  to bring it  to  the  public's attention ,  were dismissed  as  agitators  or  nutters .
 imho .
  the  very  fact  that  some  are not  even  allowed   to  follow the  goings on  of  the inquiry .(localy)
  only leads  to  me  think , here's  yet another  white  wash .
  the lump in  the  carpet  and  the  stench must  be  unbelievable.
  i hope  that  those  who  stand  for election  will be on  citizens media .
 if its  well  presented in  the local  propaganda, i  will take it  with a pinch of salt .
 it is pages like  these  were  we  will  find our answers .

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 12:48:45 AM »
Freespeech one word that means so much and defines a great deal about a society.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/this-will-be-charlie-hebdos-first-post-attack-cover-2015-1?r=US

BB

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
Would the countries of western Europe and north America still have achieved the same levels of international dominance over the past few centuries if the great Enlightenment philosophers, like David Hume, had shied away from enquiring about religion for fear of causing offence? What if Galileo hadn't offended the Pope and the Jesuits by arguing so strongly in favour of a heliocentric universe? What if Martin Luther had succumbed to threats of excommunication by Pope Leo X and the Holy Roman Emperor and agreed to retract all of his writings? In this part of the world we are standing on the shoulders of those giants and I see no great difference between their motives and those of the Charlie Hebdo journalists who paid for their defiance with their lives last week.

They were searching for the truth, challenging the Zeitgeist, asking awkward questions, defiantly standing up for what they believed in. Only the form is different. The philosophers wrote in the polite and respectful language of their day. We live in a totally different society today and the Charlie Hebdo journalists used humour, satire, mockery because these are some of the forms of criticism we use now. They earned the right to do that because of the victory of our liberal values.

We British have an awful lot to learn from the way the french nation has so defiantly responded to the terrorism of the past week. Within hours of the shooting, many French TV stations had begun permanently displaying prominent "je suis Charlie" logos with all their output, even the light entertainment and films- would British TV stations have done the same if the massacre had happened here? Would any of the British Press have dared to publish any of these apparently offensive cartoons? I suspect the answer is no on both counts. We are just as likely to suffer a similar outrage in this country yet if and when it happens, I cannot see the British people uniting in proud defence of freedom of expression and tolerance like the French have. It's very depressing to have to say that but it's true.

This week I salute the French. They have reconnected with their core values and sent a message to the world. We've got to respect that.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »

Fair Comment Jerry,

The world of free speech is appalled at the murder of people voicing their opinions through satirical cartoons. Recent history has shown the attitude and Hitler and his Nazi party are still alive but under the borrowed  banner of a religion. Do exactly as we say or you will suffer and may even be killed.

This in an enlightened world and any dictatorship by any religion or its miss-guided leaders can never be allowed to rule.

On a note closer to home it was polite to send a French speaking representative to show solidarity with the French and as a speaker Senator Ozouf is second to none also being versed in French.

Personally  my view is it is up to individual people should they prefer to follow and pray to Buddha, Christ or Muhammad or build model boats. The right to Freedom of expression means that if the company or institutional leaders that makes the model boats is at fault, as I see it, they are  open to factual and personal criticism. Hatred is fully understandable, violence is not, but religion over the ages has been mired by violence remember the hymn:

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus going on before.

http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh575.sht

Express Newspaper.

Before the new edition was even released, one of Egypt's top Islamic authorities had warned Charlie Hebdo against publishing more cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. Dar al-Ifta, which is in charge of issuing religious edicts, called the planned cover an "unjustified provocation" for millions of Muslims who respect and love their prophet and warned the cartoon would likely spark a new wave of hatred.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/551890/Charlie-Hebdo-sold-out-in-minutes

Boatyboy

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »
OMG- even a Jersey Establishment media organisation has republished that Charlie Hebdo front cover now  :o  :o  :o

http://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/opinion-arewecharlie/?t=i#.VLajRHssqSo

On the face of it, this would appear to mean that the Jersey government has ok'd it for their media lackeys to take a defiant stand on this, presumably as part of the ongoing diplomatic charm offensive with France. My cynical mind refuses to believe that any Jersey media outlet would have agreed to publish something controversial like this without being reasonably sure of the reaction they'd get from Gorst & Co. Presumably it won't do the island's relationship with the monsters in Tel Aviv any harm either...