Author Topic: Style over substance?  (Read 3294 times)

ole razzy

Style over substance?
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:09:25 AM »
Its been Lyndon Farnham none stop. The appeal to the privy council. Front page of the paper this week. Gallery Magazine. Then his election website  http://lyndonfarnham.je

And it struck me that despite the glossy photoshoots, the carefully crafted image, the lifestyle soundbites and over all impression that if you throw enough money at it your bound to get in - I mean it worked for Freddy Cohen and look quite what a disaster that was - this chap wont get in because he's too fluffy. He's too Mr Battle of Flowers at a time when we need something a little stiffer!

And because all the early election noise has been made by Farnham I've been checking daily to see if his manifesto is available but sadly, despite all the noise, there's still nothing there!

http://lyndonfarnham.je/manifesto/

I just would have thought that before I start hiring photographers to make me look all mean and moody I might just write down the things I believe are important for voters to know about me. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. Maybe I should give the X factor a chance.  ???

Offline Dundee

Re: Style over substance?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 03:48:28 AM »
I saw him at the hustings for Deputy years back and he did not come over well at all, every problematic question was answered with "I do not have a magic wand" well why the heck was he standing if he had no solutions? well he got in and the rest is history, he left the States as Director to 27 companies (I think he started with 0), The Royal Yacht got passed with an extra floor and the Spar shops became Island wide, a success story for some, but he has little or no time for the real people of the Island, Battle of Flowers was not exactly a success under him either.
Well they all have to have a manifesto shortly, but what are they worth, most are meaningless, and the public appear little concerned about them, and more about the image the person portrays.
I think most people will struggle to use their 4 votes as the quality of those standing is pretty poor.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 03:54:54 AM »
What did he do for Tourism? other than see it half its number of beds and nose dive beyond recognition.
 It will be interesting to see what if any answers he has at the hustings, and see if he still not find his magic wand?

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
You will never find a silvery path substance either into or out of the Spar shops as I don't like them or their prices.

Cali :)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline jerseybadboy

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 02:00:56 AM »
Yep hes a slick political middle of the road dont rock the boat made a ton of money with SPAR and the Royal Hotel Gang not that im against business men or making cart loads of wonga i just dont think he will represent everyone and i too remember the magic wand speach, a manifesto is the bed rock and if its not available then perhaps that speaks volumes i just think he'll represent the interests of business and his wand wont have enough magic left for pensioners or unemployed or low paid shop workers, but hes a likable chap no doubt   

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Style over substance
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:08:10 AM »
Its been Lyndon Farnham none stop. The appeal to the privy council. Front page of the paper this week. Gallery Magazine. Then his election website  http://lyndonfarnham.je

Well it has mostly been Lyndon Farnham non stop in the media for the past two years since the comment above was made, but then it suddenly went very quiet several months ago. Why- has Channel TV dropped him as their favoured politician?  :o

Probably not.  :(

The article below may provide the answer- he's been busy setting up an online gym business:

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/2014/01/10/senator-launches-new-online-gym-business/

The crucial period for the media to influence the voters' choice is, roughly, the six months prior to the election campaign starting. Earlier than that and the voters will have likely forgotten a politician's many TV appearances when they decide how to vote. On the other hand, once the election campaign officially starts, the BBC and ITV have to make a token effort at impartiality. So if they want to get Lord Lyndon back on our screens and back into the hearts of those floating voters, they've got to re-start plugging Lyndon by the early Spring.

Therefore expect the return of one of Jersey's most often-quoted (but paradoxically least important) politicians to a TV screen near you quite shortly.... night after night after bloody night.  :'(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:14:34 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Style over substance
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:07:54 PM »
The re-elect Farnham 2014 campaign finally launches tonight as he returns to the screens of Channel TV tonight with a p*ss-poor PR puff calling for Jersey to host an 'electric Grands Prix'-

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=509225

The subject matter of the report isn't important- that's just the Maguffin, as Hitch would have called it. Electric Grands Prix this week, maybe Bitcoins, dog mess or 'Shewees' next week. The important thing is that Lyndon gets to offer his on-screen opinion on all of these things and a percentage of undecided voters decide that this clean-cut, well-spoken man is the right type to continue representing them in the States...

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:12:05 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »

Judging by the publics mood at the moment regarding the great and the good in the States I think you are correct Jerry and the younger States members will leave the traps early in an effort to market themselves in an effort to gain an advantage come the elections in a few months time.

I notice Phillip Ozouf's face in the JEP on line a couple of times already this month.

Obviously the people who run this site are a bit busy, can I suggest members PJ have different interests politically, and there is no better way to see how candidates vote than putting the way they voted on here. Anyone can do it with cut and past. The thread has started already.

It will be crystal clear come election time who votes for what, which at the end of the day effects out lives. I used the voting record of 22 members in my Quango article to prove a point with a link.

There is nothing at all to stop members adding to the lists started it would be so helpful in October.

Did your favourite politician vote the way they said, or the way you thought they would ?

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,395.0.html

BB

Online Fritz

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:11:07 AM »
I quite like the idea of having motor racing re-introduced, eco-electric or otherwise. (prefer full on proper motors run on proper fuel myself).
It would certainly bring more paying visitors than an out-dated float parade, and probably inconvenience the public less.
Cant see getting F1 cars to the starting line holding up traffic from 6 a.m. on race-day.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Remember to Vote Vote Vote for Lyndon Farnham!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
Channel TV's traditional sponsorship of Senator Lyndon Farnham's re-election campaign is now in full swing. Following up on the station's coverage of his charity boxing match in July, we saw him again last Friday having a bucket of water poured over his head... for charity, obviously! Over the weekend, CTV were out covering some push bike race in St Helier. Now that surely has nothing to do with Lyndon Farnham because it's a sports event... but nevertheless Lyndon found time to pose here with CTV's Sports reporter:

https://twitter.com/lyndonfarnham/status/503592274677469184/photo/1

I had a quick (but very painful) check through the content of the Senator's tweets. Not counting his endless re-tweets (or I would still be counting into the middle of next week), out of 183 tweets the Senator has produced this year, 50 of them (at best) can be described as 'political' in content. That is way less than a third. To be honest, many of those tweets that I have counted as 'political' are merely his reporting of what was scheduled on the forthcoming Order Paper. A typical example here from 17th June: "States sitting underway, order paper attached:..." We learn absolutely nothing about his own political views in most of these tweets. Most of the time, it is like he is just reporting on what the States are debating, rather than actually participating himself. One day the whole island is going to wake up and wonder why we ever paid this guy £50k p.a. to sit in the legislature and take extremely important decisions on our behalf, but with such overwhelming and unchallenged positive coverage in the local media, I very much doubt this will happen in 2014.  >:(