Author Topic: Constable Mike Jackson, refuses black headstone, 13 there already !  (Read 6866 times)

Offline boatyboy

A grieving husband has been refused permission to put a headstone on his wife's grave - because it is black.

Danny Michel wants to commemorate his late wife with a granite stone - but the rules say any gravestones must be made from material sourced in Jersey.

It is almost a year since the death of his late wife, and Danny says he has not been allowed to properly grieve.

He has happy memories of his 35-year marriage to Violet and he wants to give her a fitting tribute, but choosing her gravestone has caused him nothing but misery.

Danny said: "I was told it had been rejected because it was black and then I've been trying to think about speaking to family and all sorts going on since then and we've been seeing what to do and having discussions and about a fortnight ago it was rejected again."

However, Les Quennevais Cemetery actually already has 13 black headstones.

Danny has pointed out some of the black headstones and said that he would like similar. He would like a black stone, with the centre etched out to reveal a greyish colour of stone. He says he would like this because it looks like a broken heart, with Violet's name on one side and the other would be for when he is buried.

It all comes down to what is written in the Parish Rate's Book. There are rules and regulations to determine what kind of stones are allowed in cemeteries and it reads: 'monuments should be made of natural stone such as is traditionally used in Jersey buildings or stone closely similar in colour and texture'.

So that excludes black granite, which is not a natural material in Jersey.

The man responsible for refusing the gravestone is St Brelades constable Mike Jackson - so why has he allowed other black headstones in the cemetery?

He explained: "Those earlier stones were granted on the basis of the previous practice but I soon after received complaints from the public about the black gravestones and thought the most practical solution and pragmatic solution was to stick rigorously to the regulations."

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/displayarticle.asp?id=493887

So probably the most used Government spin line ever used  when they have been caught out…………… the public complained Yawn, yes the public complained about  GST 19,000 to be pretty exact, yet the states did not listen. Thirteen headstones are black already and so what’s the problem?

Mike Jackson has completely lost the plot, this is the real and only problem listening to desk bound non jobs rather than real people in the real world.

At the next election let any one stand for election  for the Constables seat. Given this sort of dribble they really could do no worse. 

BB

Offline man in the street

Re: Constable Mike Jackson, refuses black headstone, 13 there already !
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54:37 PM »
quite simple, get the support of parishoners and vote this guy out, any one can do his job.
 as for this poor man not being able to morn for his wife as he wishes, is appalling, jackson should hang his head in shame.
 no offence to the 13 who have black stone, why them and not him?

Offline danrok

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:22:06 AM »
the public complained Yawn, yes the public complained about  GST 19,000 to be pretty exact, yet the states did not listen.

The CM went deaf a long time ago, but only selectively,  the wine waiter is easily heard.

Offline moot

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:16:22 AM »
Some people just never learn what's important in life and stay in their small box. Jackson seems to be one of these. However I am surprised as he seems a decent man

Offline Sarah Ferguson

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:58:05 AM »
I am hopeful that we shall have areasonable resolution to the case.

Online Fritz

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:25:44 AM »
I think the guy should just erect the stone and invite the national media to record its removal.

"Simples".

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:09:43 AM »
I imagine that Max De La Haye, when he was Constable, would have applied his customary common sense, and allowed the black headstones which are there, using his discretion to override a rather pointless rule.

Offline imacrappaud

I am hopeful that we shall have areasonable resolution to the case.

Are you up for election this year?

Offline tonytheprof

No Sarah is a Senator, in the next batch, in which all of the remaining 8 Senators will face election (four years from this election now)

Offline imacrappaud

No Sarah is a Senator, in the next batch, in which all of the remaining 8 Senators will face election (four years from this election now)

This election process is really hard to follow, no wonder their is voter apathy. So, this years general election as it has been called is only to vote 4 senatorial positions, is that right?

Regardless of whether I got it right or wrong its about time they all got voted for on the same day, then again what if they all did and we were left with a load of thick people running the books, no suscession planning (I know i have spelled it wrong). Catch 22!!

Offline moot

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 03:43:15 AM »
Get rid of the a lot  ( including constables ) and start with a clean sheet !

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 04:58:49 AM »
Get rid of the a lot  ( including constables ) and start with a clean sheet !

If you start with a clean sheet it will only get soiled!

Cali  ::)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 04:20:32 PM »
Some good news for Mr Michel, supported by people power and commonsense by the Cemetery Committee, but not the Constable Mike Jackson. Does he stand a chance at election time, when he makes these blunders agaist ordinary people ? or is he another living in an ivory tower ?

Mr Michel's battle with the parish to have a black headstone for his wife's grave has been won. Yesterday the Constable announced that the St Brelade Cemetery Committee, who met for the first time in 5 years, would be willing to change to regulations to permit the stone to be erected. In an email to the Parish deputies and Senator Ferguson, Constable Jackson wrote:

'The cemetery committee decided yesterday to agree to submitting a revised regulation to a Parish Assembly to permit black natural stone in the cemetery.'

The news came as a relief to Mr Michel, who has been fighting for this for over a year now.
The decision to change the regulation was predictable, in the face of such strong public support for Mr Michel's cause. Two questions remain, however, (i) why did it take so long for Mr Jackson to change his mind; and (ii) what damage has this done to the Constable's credibility in an election year?

Jackson, who has refused Mr Michel permission for a black headstone at Les Quennevais

http://mtadier.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:22:18 PM by boatyboy »

Offline man in the street

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
shame he had to fight for a headstone for his wife in the first place , the old cobblers of jersey can still get its tallons into you when you are dead.
the island is going to dogs, and tinpot leader's