Author Topic: New look for BBC Jersey website  (Read 10930 times)

Offline danrok

Re: New look for BBC Jersey website
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 06:47:02 AM »
The BBC aren't using product placement - that's ITV, Channel 4 etc. The BBC doesn't carry any advertising.

There is advertising on the BBC website, when it is viewed from outside of the UK.  I think it may be on pages with video content, only.

Then there's the North Face jacket mystery.

Is that product placement?  Apparently not according to the BBC.

Offline verystandrew

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
Nor feeble-minded Radio 1 DJ's sending out for named fast food brands?

VStA
"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat." Mark Twain

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
See now we're entering one of those 'grey area' debates.

For BBC products and advertising outside the UK on the website - that is BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC that puts a few hundred million back into the corporation to help make programming and run stations.

For other things - product placement requires a payment to be made in return for a mention or showing of a product - if somebody at the BBC knowingly did that they would VERY QUICKLY lose their job.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »

Thanks for the information again Ryan, you are a credit to the BBC. What I really do understand is that the JEP, Channel TV, and even dear little 103 rely on advertising to exist.

Even so the JEP and John Mills ( a private individual ) succeeded in wrestling information from the Government and putting the education figures into the public domain.

There are many examples today, where the BBC as a giant corporation is supposed to be working in the public interested on different levels and projects in exchange for  £3.5 billion licence fee and as you have told us in your post and to quote you if I may,

"the commercial arm of the BBC that puts a few hundred million back into the corporation,"

When it comes to Jersey, when was the last time BBC Jersey enacted the freedom of information act to benefit their customers rather than being led by the nose by a secretive States of Jersey who always officially support   transparent  but only give answers if  pushed.

I am pleased that BBC Jersey found the time to  revamped your Website, not that I have bothered looking or actually switched to your radio channel  lately, what's the point.

Boatyboy.

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2011, 12:53:08 AM »
I am pleased that BBC Jersey found the time to  revamped your Website, not that I have bothered looking or actually switched to your radio channel  lately, what's the point.Boatyboy.

Boatyboy - the revamp was really just switching from one template to another to be honest - moving us into the BBC News website instead of being on our own.

As for Freedom of Information - Jersey's freedom of information law isn't really as simple as the UK one - there are only certain areas you can apply under but it is something we know is a powerful tool in a journalists bag of tricks - just because we haven't used it yet doesn't mean we won't - the JEP has a much larger news team than we do and John Mills took them the numbers.

We very quickly followed up the story and have covered it in considerable detail - speaking to teachers, experts, politicians and students. I've personally written about five stories on various aspects of it - the most recent on the fact that there will be a scrutiny panel hearing into the results, league tables and what should be released.

I've been a blogger for longer than I've been a BBC Journalist - I started blogging in 2000 and so am a big supporter of social media, message boards, blogs etc - in fact I write the BBC Jersey blog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jersey/