Author Topic: New look for BBC Jersey website  (Read 10840 times)

Offline Common Sense

Re: New look for BBC Jersey website
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 12:58:32 AM »
Are you able to proove that Rico Sorda hasn't done so? PM me please.

Mod5

No, I am not. Please re-read my post and consider my use of the word "can" not "does"

Thank you.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 01:01:11 AM »
Surely the real media need to have proper checks on all content before its published. They can't post anything up like you and your blog can.

Some would say that fact checking, legal checks and other editing is important before you post stuff online. Maybe you should try it?

Hi Common Sense

Thanks for your concern but please don't worry, all is ok. I have a fantastic little team behind me who do the checking, they like to remain in the background.

BBC Jersey is nice safe and entertaining it has no political teeth.

rs

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:08:00 AM by rico sorda »
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Common Sense

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 01:15:26 AM »
Hi Common Sense

Thanks for your concern but please don't worry, all is ok. I have a fantastic little team behind me who do the checking, they like to remain in the background.

BBC Jersey is nice safe and entertaining it has no political teeth.

rs

So glad to hear that... it's always worth checking grammar and spelling too I find.

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 01:51:08 AM »
No, I am not. Please re-read my post and consider my use of the word "can" not "does"

Thank you.

What you actually said was:

Some would say that fact checking, legal checks and other editing is important before you post stuff online. Maybe you should try it?

There cannot be any other interpretation of that comment than Rico doesn't do that. Why the unnecessary slur and personal attack?.

There is an interesting argument to be had around the role and resources of citizen media - in fact, it was debated last night on Newsnight with several editors and a Google executive - but comments like that do nothing to move the debate forwards.

With regard to Rico's blog, it has mainly been dedicated to one subject and, indeed, was set up for that specific purpose. If you look back through his postings you'll find the opposite of what you suggest: they are deeply researched and provide ample documentary evidence.

In fact, I would say it is one of the least opinionated of the Jersey blogs, although they all have a high standard of verification, which is why they have had such a powerful effect on stopping the establishment cover up of HdlG.

Maybe he can't spell as good as wot you can but...

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 03:04:29 AM »
Common Sense

I have been attacked on all fronts over the past 3 years as you well know.

No stopping

Sorry ;D ;D ;D

rs
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:17:00 AM by rico sorda »

Online boatyboy

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 03:52:12 AM »

Ryan thanks for the response,

We fully understand that you work for a corporation and have the backbone to come on here. PJ can be a rough place. It is known that Jon made or agreed the changes. Not knowing Jersey,  he obviously has little background knowledge of the island unlike the islanders who spoke on the talkback, for just an hour each day and aired their views on a variety of subjects.

The BBC could be proud that just for one hour they were going against the mould of countries like China and Russia by actively promoting freedom of speech on any subject of the publics choice. Very commendable and just plain right.

Now you tell us that we can phone in “ 'if you liked that feature “. The feature on old comics or old records and other light blow away subjects. Obviously all scripted and offered by the BBC  reporters.

May I offer some really topical an interesting subjects for the BBC. You might need to get freedom of information requests set in train. When did that last happen in your office?

You are supposed to be the professionals, but it is strange that as the only major publicly funded radio and TV organisation, you have “done a runner “ closing the free speech slot with elections less than ten months away.

Shame on the BBC.

Boatyboy

Offline verystandrew

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 03:57:16 AM »
BBC Jersey seems to become ever more irrelevant by the day.

Rescue looks doubtful...

VStA
"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat." Mark Twain

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 04:25:10 AM »
Boatyboy

We have comments on a much wider range of subjects than that - for example tomorrow we have an hour long special with the new police chief - with people calling in and putting their questions to him between 9 and 10.

We still have a talkback programme every Thursday from 6pm with politicians taking questions from the public and just this morning we had calls on political reform - including a contribution from Nick Le Cornu.

Most of the calls are now in the breakfast programme or in our drivetime programme - not in the middle of the day - but there are just as many on just as wider range of subjects.

As for freedom of information - Jersey's freedom of information code is very hit and miss but it is something we are examining - there are only certain things it applies to in Jersey.

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 04:25:33 AM »
Ryan

I don't like the way BBC Jersey are putting  Ministers on the thursday talkback without any challenge. We have had the Home Affairs Minister and the Planning Minister given free range to waffle along and no one there to pull them up. The host is im sure a very nice person but she knows bugger all about the political issues facing the Island etc etc.

rs

Offline en830

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 04:35:36 AM »
Ryan

I think the changes being proposed are really great, the lunchtime moanin had become the domain of a few and was a real turn off to the many.

BBC Jersey now gives freedom of speech over a full days broadcast and not restricting it to an hour. Banter based broadcasting with public feedback is the way forward and a lot more entertaining than the "Bridget" brigade constantly finding something else to whinge about.

As one famous man who had a little bit to do with politics said "you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time" actually I believe he said fool, but I think you get the idea.

You can't get good chinese takeout in China and cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 04:38:09 AM »
Rico

I'll mention that to Christina and Jon and see what they say.

I think the idea is that people can call up and put their own questions to the ministers - which creates a challenge in itself.

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »
Ryan

People can ask questions all day but its up to the host to make sure the questions are answered and challenged. They must make sure the  minister is held to account. All we get is caller asks a question, Minister gives an answer. Now, it could be any answer because the person in the studio is none the wiser. We then we move onto the next caller and so on. I love the five live phone in's because they get answers.

"I think the idea is that people can call up and put their own questions to the ministers - which creates a challenge in itself."

Ryan

What challenge would that be? There is no challenge. I think all the local media should have a serious workshop and decide if the want to be independent and for the people, or, remain the establishment mouthpiece. Just like in the middle east ryan the local media have been found out. They must shoulder a lot of the blame for our standard of Government. How many big stories or scoops have our media uncovered in keeping our Government in check? School Exams.

Starting from 1948 lets name them

rs
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:33:53 AM by rico sorda »

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »
This is an fantastic idea! Rico mate you've buttoned it in one!

Now where are we going to find a member of the Government who can answer questions truthfully?
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »
Get a podcast going and do telephone recordings of local people, with their permission,  who wish to ask questions.  This will probably have to be done on a website run from the USA but doable.

All you have to do is get a little software arrange a playlist of interviews and put music on it and it will play all day until you put a new playlist up on a webpage.  You might even get a few adverts from local businesses who are suffering at present.

You could present it weekly or every so many days.

Make it lively and interesting you will soon get a following.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:49:24 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Common Sense

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
Ryan

People can ask questions all day but its up to the host to make sure the questions are answered and challenged. They must make sure the  minister is held to account. All we get is caller asks a question, Minister gives an answer. Now, it could be any answer because the person in the studio is none the wiser. We then we move onto the next caller and so on. I love the five live phone in's because they get answers.

"I think the idea is that people can call up and put their own questions to the ministers - which creates a challenge in itself."

Ryan

What challenge would that be? There is no challenge. I think all the local media should have a serious workshop and decide if the want to be independent and for the people, or, remain the establishment mouthpiece. Just like in the middle east ryan the local media have been found out. They must shoulder a lot of the blame for our standard of Government. How many big stories or scoops have our media uncovered in keeping our Government in check? School Exams.

Starting from 1948 lets name them

rs

I take it you don't listen or watch the local ITV and BBC stations much then? I've seen and heard people being grilled on ITV, equally on BBC Jersey too.

I do wish people would stop being so sensationalist and general when they in some cases don't actually listen, watch or read the content they are talking about.

As for the media shouldering the blame for the current government. What utter drivel. Some of this islands stupid rules stop talented people going into the States and making a difference. You can't vote or stand for the first two years you arrive on the island and Jersey being an inward looking place you'll find people "vote for a mate" because they think that's good for the country.

Reduce the qualifications restrictions to 5 years, allow people to vote and get involved as soon as they arrive here and admit that the current crop of politicians are there because of decades of mistrust of the outside world.

We have, in effect, a town council running a country. Surely everyone realises that isn't going to work? The skills simply aren't here.

Rico - if you want to make a difference instead of posting articles online to a few followers to gush at your every word - stand for the States. You never know, your followers may vote you in!