Author Topic: New look for BBC Jersey website  (Read 10929 times)

Offline ryanmorrison

New look for BBC Jersey website
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »
The BBC Jersey website has a new look. What do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/europe/jersey/

Online Fritz

Re: New look for BBC Jersey website
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:05:18 AM »
More expensive window dressing at license payers expense.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »
Much better look and feel. I see you have adopted the newer, fresher general BBC look and feel.

Now, how about being first to break some stories?

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:12:32 AM »
BTW, the word "Jersey" in the header images at the top should be linked to the url http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/europe/jersey/

When you drill down into a story, it's frustrating not to have a link to 'home' i.e. the Jersey home page at the top of a news story. Don't make me use the back button!  ;)

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »
Pomme de terre - I agree - unfortunately that was a decision taken by BBC News (we're now part of the BBC News website) - it can't be linked because it would break their style.

You can get back to the Jersey page by going to the bottom of the story though - all the supporting content is at the bottom.

The reason it sometimes takes longer to get stories up on the BBC Jersey over other local news sites is that every story we write has to go to a team of sub editors in Birmingham to be checked and approved before it can be made live which can sometimes take a while - also we are a very small website team.

Fritz - the site has been made simpler and moved within the existing BBC News templates - not a massive costly re-design.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:12:21 AM »
The reason it sometimes takes longer to get stories up on the BBC Jersey over other local news sites is that every story we write has to go to a team of sub editors in Birmingham to be checked and approved before it can be made live which can sometimes take a while - also we are a very small website team.

Wow. I'm (almost) speechless. I feel for you!

If your new boss Mr Gripton is looking for potential costs savings, please tell him this is one of them.

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:14:03 AM »
Unfortunately he has no control over that - the subbing process is something put in place by BBC News nationally and Jon has no say over it. I technically report to the English Regions News Online Editor in Birmingham.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:20:11 AM »
Thanks for the info Ryan.  It explains the delay that I often observe.

It's a shame really, because the BBC has some of the best web tools and technicians in the world. It's a shame that a slow human process prevents you from getting your content out quicker.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:50:22 AM »
"It's a shame that a slow human process prevents you from getting your content out quicker."

Nice work pomme
 ;D

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
No longer listen to BBC Radio since the change. I find it very boring. I think they may have shot themselves in the foot.

Offline en830

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »
No longer listen to BBC Radio since the change. I find it very boring. I think they may have shot themselves in the foot.

One person's "boring" is another person's "excitement".
You can't get good chinese takeout in China and cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »

Thanks for the interesting information Ryan,

I see Chris Stone is on Mon to Friday 1.15  to 16.00 does this include his phone in section or has that been scrapped? If it has been scrapped what is the thinking behind this change ?

Thought It would be prudent to ask a person who knows.

Sorry to be a pain but would it be possible to get an answer, it is a reasonable question ! The idea that the whole of BBC Jerseys' radio broadcast is a phone is alien, how does that work ?

Thanks

BB

Offline Common Sense

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:28:09 PM »
"It's a shame that a slow human process prevents you from getting your content out quicker."

Nice work pomme
 ;D

rs

Surely the real media need to have proper checks on all content before its published. They can't post anything up like you and your blog can.

Some would say that fact checking, legal checks and other editing is important before you post stuff online. Maybe you should try it?

Offline ryanmorrison

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »
Boatyboy

The phone-in in its previous form has been scrapped - instead we now do what more or less every other BBC local radio station does and take calls throughout the output.

The idea behind the change was that saying in breakfast 'if you liked that feature and want to have your say - wait three hours and call us at 12' was a bit odd. Instead we now just say 'like that then call us'.

Personally I think we have a much wider range of people on air than ever before.

mod5

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »
Surely the real media need to have proper checks on all content before its published. They can't post anything up like you and your blog can.

Some would say that fact checking, legal checks and other editing is important before you post stuff online. Maybe you should try it?

Are you able to proove that Rico Sorda hasn't done so? PM me please.

Mod5