Author Topic: GST off food  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
GST off food
« on: December 10, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
I heard Connetable Norman in the States yesterday on the VAT rules on food in the UK.  The Medical Officer of Health really ought to have a word with him about his dietary habits given his fixation on ultra high sugar items.

Offline imacrappaud

Re: GST off food
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
Just heard in on the radio and did my best copy of his accent at work. It made me pretty angry to listen to him talk what i can only describe as utter crap. Its such a cop out to not remove GST on food by using the UK model and all the whats a luxury item is and whats not or whether his flipping ice cream has a flake in it. Keep it simple they all cry just tax everything. Well, in my utterly humble opinion could we not just have kept it simple by removing tax on everything you eat. And taxing everything you dont.

Amazing how we can use the UK model to argue against any exemptions such as food but we wont listen to the UK when it comes to zero ten and their utter arrogance that got us GST in the first place. (Insert C word here)s.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:19:26 PM »
I hope the people for voted against exemptions on food get voted out in next years elections; sadly, I fear that mostly Parish issues will largely trump local voting, which is what usually happens - e.g. Sean Power voted against exemptions, but had a landslide Parish victory.

That's not to say he didn't do good work in Parish matters, but Parish elections tend to prioritise how good people work within the Parish, rather than general Island matters. The loss of 2 million by Housing in a development in St Lawrence will probably not feature high on concerns of the St Brelade voters, and nor will GST.

Having viewed numerous elections over the years, I'd say that success is weighted against Island issues.

Although if there was one issue that might just mobilise people across Parishes it would be the "revolt of Middle Jersey" on cutting the private school subsidy. Especially in St Ouen!

But I suspect most of that lot who voted against having any exemptions will sail along and fudge matters. Until the next rise in GST!!

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »
I honestly think that the SOJ are so incompetent that they will be obliged to raise GST to about 10 or 11%. This is reality, regardless of how distasteful.

The COM will not make any significant cuts in their Budgets, not like any Business would do to survive. They do not have the bollox.

I also think that the voting Public are so apethised in Jersey that they will not give a flying f*ck. We know it as the Jersey Malaise yet we do nothing about it.

Remember, in a year's time, you heard it here first.

Happy Christmas everybody. I'm off to 40 degrees of sun and fun, back in January.
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »
Happy Christmas everybody. I'm off to 40 degrees of sun and fun, back in January.

Lucky Christmas! ;D

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 05:57:53 AM »
Look GST will go up to the same as England in the not to distance future. It has to  so that the idiots can waste our money on stupid brainless ideas. As you say they do not give a F**K about the ordinary man. The establisment club needs money to make sure that they enjoy themselves at our expense.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:22:20 PM »
 could not agree more  cb,  as we all know the old boys club is at least 300 years old.  i like the jep headline  regarding the looks to be ill fated zero ten.
 my elder brother told me one time that jersey will be dragged  kicking and screaming into  the 20th century.
 god help this place , if young people  start asking where are our jobs and where is our housing, and bother to stand up to be counted , and be prepared to go to jail to fight for jobs and housing.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
Just heard in on the radio and did my best copy of his accent at work. It made me pretty angry to listen to him talk what i can only describe as utter crap. Its such a cop out to not remove GST on food by using the UK model and all the whats a luxury item is and whats not or whether his flipping ice cream has a flake in it. Keep it simple they all cry just tax everything. Well, in my utterly humble opinion could we not just have kept it simple by removing tax on everything you eat. And taxing everything you dont.

Amazing how we can use the UK model to argue against any exemptions such as food but we wont listen to the UK when it comes to zero ten and their utter arrogance that got us GST in the first place. (Insert C word here)s.

Just heard Mr Shenton from the treasury I think, on the radio saying how GST needed to be kept simple and fair to everyone, and exemptions would cause difficulty, well strange how they manage to exempt marine fuel from duty and not for road users, or are boats an essential item for everyone?
I quote an advert from the Jersey Harbours tide book page32: "Providing tax free marine fuel for boaters in the Channel Islands." perhaps they are exempt from GST also.