Author Topic: FREEDOM OF SPEECH  (Read 7124 times)

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
Re: FREEDOM OF SPEECH
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »
The problem they will have is that there are well established rights to freedom of expression in EU codes.  Not only that but there is a big reservoir of latent support out there for bloggers who assert their rights.

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 05:04:05 AM »
Of course, all a blogger has to do is to get an article in print in a newpaper or magazine somewhere, and they can claim to be an "accredited journalist", because there are no hard and fast rules as to what a journalist is.

Priviliges seems to be going backwards - rather than transparency they want a kind of old-fashioned UK lobby journalist system.

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
There might also be an interesting borderline case for those of us published in peer reviewed academic journals. Is that sufficient accreditation?

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 02:38:28 AM »
That's an interesting one! I bet they never considered that.

By the way, the much smaller US Virgin Isles (not to be confused with BVI) has their Parliament and some committee meetings streamed in audio-visual. Why can't we?

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »
'Cos you really wouldn't want to see what they get up to! ;)
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

ole razzy

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
I watched with interest last nights Panorama about Julian Assange and his role in developing wikileaks. If you haven't seen it and are interested in the concept and the powefeul influence it has in addition to the problems it poses to governments the world over then click on this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yl1ng/Panorama_WikiLeaks_The_Secret_Story/

Its available for the next week.

You can read more about the life of Assange here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

Or visit the wikileaks site here; www.wikileaks.org

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 10:51:28 PM »
Thanks!  I missed it will go look in iplayer when available.

I have ordered a book about wiki-leaks written by some one who worked within the organisation I forget his name now!

Amazing man! 

Cali:)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Online boatyboy

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 11:53:40 PM »
The  problem with a lack of checks and balances is that slowly but inevitably the Jumper will unravel. In Jersey  the lack of checks and balances is now showing itself as it was always going to.

The Chief Minister, Terry Le Suer, refuses to answer questions, put by elected and honest states members, a true dinosaur in an old Jersey mind set. This makes him a dangerous ally in forthcoming elections with an informed public hungry for truth and honesty, about many subjects that directly effect their lives.

Clear examples of relevant issues that the public should have full information to, but have been refused data, to name but a few,

1) How do various secondary and primary schools compare with mainland schools for exam results generally or exam results, against each other?   Not allowed to know.

2)   How does the hospital measure up statistically regarding health care in different departments to similar size hospitals in the UK?   Not allowed to know.

3)   Which organisation or individual put forward  Mr Frank Walkers name for an OBE, why are they not coming forward, why are the States not publishing that information, a request would not be refused if submitted by the Jersey  Government. Not allowed to know

4) The Wiltshire report with all names removed  very reasonable, but instead, over  65% of the paragraphs were redacted, making the report unreadable and disjointed. Not allowed to know.

I take it the writer ( who seems informed ) means no resident, wants the job, all quotes are selective please read full articles.

JEP

Unfortunately, Angela has asked the wrong question. The hospital is required to have an MD following the Veritas report. The problem was, nobody wanted the job so we are left with having a pay a fortune to a contractor. He will probably do a good job although I do not recommend looking into the scandals at Oxford Radcliffe during his time in charge if you want to sleep well at nights.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/02/16/revealed-cost-of-new-hospital-managers-contract/

JEP

Dr Rosemary Geller, who has held the position since 2005, has been off work since late last year because of a chronic back condition. It is not known whether she will remain in the Island or return to the UK.

Her duties had included recommending how to improve the health of the Island population, protecting Islanders from infectious diseases and   DEVELOPING HEALTH SERVICES.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/02/12/poor-health-forces-early-retirement-of-moh/#ixzz1EKJKqesm

JEP

ACTING Chief of Police David Warcup has said he does not want to be police chief and has blamed ‘malicious’ politicians for his decision.

Mr Warcup, who released a statement yesterday saying that he would not be putting himself forward for the role following the controversial retirement of Graham Power,

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2010/07/20/acting-police-chief-says-hes-leaving/

So.

When the game is up, normally caused by some external pressure testing an unsafe and weak structure, then top people responsible for those structures ( departments ) leave because, the truth is coming their way. They leave the stage before the building collapses, taking the money and running, is a far softer option.

My personal view is that Government secrecy is a very endangered animal. The unstoppable Internet will shine into every corner.  The in depth investigation will not be done by paid reporters, but by those with a deep social conscience from all walks of life and all abilities from within organisations (whistle-blowers ), or people in society that will hunt the truth with a vengeance.

To put it very simply, only five years ago we were told how good our hospital was, how fantastic our schools were, how lucky we all are living in Jersey. These were not supported by figures just spin. Now we are able to find out for more for ourselves. Small effort by ordinary people well informed will become an army of difficult subjects to rule  by those using the lies, deceit, and non transparency of the past.

"Truth becomes an enemy, only when its been forgotten as a friend."

Russian Poet

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:12:41 AM by boatyboy »

Offline newt

• little creatures sometimes have big teeth. beware!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
Well said Boatyboy. Couldn't have put it better myself!

Transparent :- Of such fine and open texture that objects may be easily seen on the other side, easily understood or detected, OPEN.
(Reader's Digest Dictionary)

Hmmm..... Can't see it myself. not now, not ever, never.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »

I agree partly Newt,

It  may seem a way off having a Government fully transparent.

To give credit where it is due, there are some good people in the states and civil service who want transparency. They no doubt worked very hard to give us Hansard and  the government web site.

Further more and partly due to The Comptroller and Auditor General and his department also Sen. Sarah Ferguson, Ben Shenton and others, we have a proper and much needed recognised accounting system by way of GAAP being installed slowly in states departments. This gives a clearer view of how money is spent.

The freedom of information act, agreed by the States over two years ago needs to be made law and strengthened.

Emma Martin and her mates need to concentrate on data of the medical and financial kind rather than trying to stop free speech on the internet or risk making Jersey look like a laughing stock in the democratic world or a very dark and shady place to outsiders. This need  for registering web sites that allow the public to communicate is ridiculous and smacks of big brother. It is also impossible to police effectively the internet being  world wide.

The so called accredited media once the " racing cars of interesting news " are now like a small boat to China scenario in Jersey. Little in depth reporting, more duplicated dross as handed out by spin doctors from the Chief Ministers office. The BBC Jersey seem to have given up completely informing and interfacing with the very people that pay their wages. It is not clear whether this is because Jon has taken over the reins, or some political master has told them to take off air the daily talk back programme. Not so much dummying down as not bothering at all . They still want your licence fee. Latest moves will see the giant BBC and its publicly funded 1.6 billion budget shredded unless it ups its game over time.

BB

Offline newt

• little creatures sometimes have big teeth. beware!
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »

Emma Martin and her mates need to concentrate on data of the medical and financial kind rather than trying to stop free speech on the internet or risk making Jersey look like a laughing stock in the democratic world or a very dark and shady place to outsiders. This need  for registering web sites that allow the public to communicate is ridiculous and smacks of big brother. It is also impossible to police effectively the internet being  world wide.

BB

Please tell me they won't get away with this.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »
Thanks to SSVOR

Privileges and procedures are looking to bring in under P100/2010 a media accreditation system. It's clear that this is designed to restrict access to and reporting on States proceedings including even public sittings of committees and panels.

Anyone and everyone, irrespective of who, or what they support should be hugely concerned that for the first time in a Western democracy, there is an attempt at direct political control, through legislation, of access to and coverage of the political process.

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2812.0.html

Thanks to Rico.

The new powers sought by Emma Martins (our Data Protection Commissioner) and her obvious supporters among the Crown Officers – will turn gossips into criminals.

If you hear a juicy bit of tittle-tattle and if it bears some resemblance to information held in somebody’s office or home filing system (whether electronic or not) – then beware! Wait for the knock on the door and the dozen thought police with a warrant to seize your “materials” or “equipment” and march you off to face unlimited fines and up to 5 years in jail IN ADDITION.

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2651.msg45485.html#msg45485

A GAGGING ORDER BY STEALTH ITS CALLED p147

1.22 THE DEPUTY OF ST. MARY OF THE MINISTER FOR TREASURY AND RESOURCES REGARDING DATA PROTECTION:

Question

Can the Minister give the Assembly full details of the ‘review of regulatory requirements’ of data protection which have led to his putting forward P.147/2009 (‘Draft Data Protection (Amendment No.2) (Jersey) Law 200-)?

Answer

Regulatory requirements are reviewed on an ongoing basis, in line with experience from specific investigations (in Jersey) and policy development (in Jersey and other comparative jurisdictions).

Widening the provisions - information notices

Whilst the information notice provisions in P147/2009 are not reflected in the current UK Coroners and Justice Bill, there are a number of valid policy reasons which underpin them:

· other countries (e.g. Ireland) have taken the line reflected in the draft Amendment Law.

· the UK Information Commissioner's Office ("UK ICO") has repeatedly requested for equivalent wording to that contained in the draft Amendment Law.

· The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner ("ODPC") has encountered difficulties in the course of investigations when applying the existing Law e.g. where refusal by an individual to release relevant information results in an investigation being hampered.

External commentators ( you mean the Egyptians, Libyans or Chinese )have added their support to similar proposals.

· The Amendment will result in a more effective  and proportionate regulatory environment and whilst more robust powers would be conferred to the ODPC, it will result in more limited recourse to the more forceful powers under the Data Protection (Jersey) Law 2005 (e.g. involvement of police, obtaining of a warrant).  (like S.Syvret not being served with a warrant, my note)

· The measure is not viewed as disproportionate ( by the author, my note) and is subject to an ECHR-friendly appeals procedure.

Why I am no legal expert define disproportionate ?

Whilst the information notice provisions in P147/2009 are not reflected in the current UK Coroners and Justice Bill,

Not in the UK but we must have it here? Jersey boasts best practise in line with the UK,  but not this time. The internet and peoples media is there to inform and debate, ( plus some rubbish, yes we know).

If they pass this P147............ freedom of speech will surely be hampered. Furthermore this Government with their hands on their hearts at election time, agree with transparent open Government which of course extents to media. As long as you can control it of course. This is probably why it is not a politician reviewing the data laws but a high-ranking civil servant. This is the meaning of P147 to stop free speech.

The bold type is my comment. At this time I am not sure if it has been passed by the States but I am aware that it could have been passed  " by committee or Minister" as blogs are supposed to now be registered. Maybe some legal or informed person reading this, can update us on the legal position.?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:58:50 PM by boatyboy »

ole razzy

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
I found this article today on the BBC Jersey website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-13240295

The Council of Ministers are saying that they agree with the principles of a freedom of information law but wont support it in the forthcoming debate because...get this...it will cost too much to implement.

What a bunch of constables.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »
 i feel this goverment will do its best to keep the public  un informed , and they still have the barefaced cheek to ask for more money  form the taxpayer to continue with the circus.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »
Bob Hill asked questions in States that were well researched and he was to follow his conscience rather than  the herd.

In a refreshing and easy to follow interview, with humility and honesty, he answers a wide range of questions covering Bill Ogley's payoff and the lack of evidence offered by Frank Walker, regarding another council head hunting Mr Ogley. The bought man possibility and did the States get the real Napier report. Anne Pryke Health Minister try's to stop a report gets an airing.

A must and easy listen, with ex Deputy Bob Hill giving an open, frank,honest and relaxed interview. A few problems with sound in the first eight minutes after that terrific.

http://voiceforchildren.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/recorded-live-broadcast-with-bob-hill.html

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:50:11 PM by boatyboy »