Author Topic: Moores Motors , Tonights JEP  (Read 4420 times)

rogueelement

Moores Motors , Tonights JEP
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:52:52 AM »
Fantastic to note that they are offering the services of a mechanic for only £39/hour!!
How many mechanics do you know doing a 40 hour week are taking home £80k a year??
Well i doubt they are getting even a third of that amount ,which is a nice mark up for the garages, but to be fair I have heard of overheads .
Mind you Moores motors are cheap as chips compared to a lot of other garages, lets not name names but Tom scott owns most of them .
£95/ hour ? is that remotely reasonable ? It,s not as if they are freakin lawyers is it? Plug the ****ting thing into a computer and it tells you what to replace at an exorbitant price,,,,,hardly rocket science is it?

I personally recommend Aaron Motors ,Joe is a smashing bloke , looks after his customers and will presumably give me a discount next time I have my Porsche serviced.
Just one more area in Jersey where we get totally ripped off (Apart from joe)

Offline danrok

Re: Moores Motors , Tonights JEP
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 05:00:16 AM »
Garage labour rates are a rip off.

You might think that you're paying £40 or £50 per hour for a mechanic, but the chances are the work was done by a fitter.  Most grease monkeys are fitters, not mechanics.

It's like paying fora carpenter, but not being told the guy they sent is a labourer.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:29:58 PM »
i used to work inthe motor trade, when garages were dank dirty places, before they became clean and bright, cars had points, and abs  did not exist, the only chip in the car, was the one dropped from the chippy.
 if a bloke had a few tools , you could mend it on the driveway if you had a haynes manual, or knew a mate who could.
good tools cost a fortune, that snapon rollcab full of tools , could be £10  grand ,plus the laptop and software that you need these days.
 the rent on a space , that the goverment dictate to you , that you CAN do that there mate.
your social that will be top wack if self employed and all that red tape that goes with being self employed.
 you will also be a unpaid tax collector(gst).
 however the main dealer price in my eye is totally over the top(but this is life enriching jersey, we are all loadded) if i cant fix it myself it will be the smaller place or one man band who will see mycash.
if people choose to buy the latest and greatest, that is thier choice, if you cant get ten years out of a motor these days (regular oil change) there is something wrong.
i will never buy a new car and most of mine  have had 40,000 plus onthe clock when purchased.
and expect 100,000 plus on the clock at the end.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »
With you on that mam in the street. I always did my own work on my cars no matter what it was that needed doing. Today i take it to the garage up the road when something needs doing to it. Never bought a brand new car, always got one with about 22000 on the clock and then run them into the ground which takes about 14 years to do. Never been a big fan on big new outstanding cars. They are get you to and from A to B and no quicker than any other car with a speed limit of 40 mph. also save on petrol if you own a small HP car.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:36:27 AM »
With you on that. Talking of good mechanics, Alan Bates in Trinity has fixed my fixed my car when the big garages couldn't find the fault, and it was less than £50 + a loan car for the day.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
A Master!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline man in the street

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:08:09 AM »
good bloke , is alan. dont see him often these days , fixed more motors than i have had hot dinners.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 01:22:48 AM »
With you on Aerton motors Spartacus. My old banger broke down, think it was the clutch cable that snapped got it towed to his garage by the tow truck man, had the clutch cable replaced and although I cant remember exact price it was under £50 which included the money to pay the tow truck guy. I dont know how much the tow truck place charges but all in all it seemed very cheap to me.

Another one I found cheaper, or should I say I found the price easier to bear is the little one at first tower next to checkers.

Offline nlel

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »
Has Moores Motors gone out of business? There old place in Belmont Road now seems to be seaton garage.