Author Topic: Should we all have to wear cycle helments by law ?  (Read 8172 times)

ole razzy

Re: Should we all have to wear cycle helments by law ?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 04:00:16 AM »
Crappaud leave the lad alone. He's got enough problems as it is. Herr Fritz, tell him about your rubber mask. Bring back bender.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 04:07:35 AM »
Yeah ok, will do, i think the guy/gall is full of gas anyway

Offline Fritz

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 04:28:28 AM »
Absoluteley not.
My Rangy ,"Does what it says on the tin", regularly.

If there is no road, I cross a field.
If the avenue is chocka, I use the beach.
When everyone is , "Snowed in", (PSML), I carry on as normal.
And, If a cyclist gets in my way, they never do it again.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 04:30:50 AM »
Haha Fritz, I doubt all of that very much apart from the cyclist bit!

ole razzy

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 04:48:32 AM »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Re: Should we all have to wear cycle helmets by law ?
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »
So Dundee you will vote for it then to be law to wear a helmet when riding a bike. I look forward to the vote in the States Chamber.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 11:34:54 PM »
As I said I think the wearing of helmets should be encouraged, I would be rather reluctant to make it compulsory and would prefer to allow people the freedom of choice. It will be interesting to see how the debate goes and what if any local facts and figures are made available.

I would also like to encourage the use of bicycles and so would perhaps look at an option at providing free or subsidised helmets.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
Re: Should we all have to wear cycle helmets by law ?
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 11:58:04 PM »
So Dundee you will vote for it then to be law to wear a helmet when riding a bike. I look forward to the vote in the States Chamber.

Bloody hell CB

This beats Team Voices scoop.

Are you saying dundee is a politician no he cant be but hang on it makes sense lol hahahahaha that is the funniest thing i have herd in ages, christ dundee your not Andrew Green or hang on how about Sean ( monies ) power

Thanks CB

A politician yup hahahaha what a beauty

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

rogueelement

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 12:58:31 AM »
less electric soup might be of benefit.

rogueelement

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
Having just walked past  a cyclist , riding inside me on the pavement in Bath St , he appeared to have some scarring and a black eye can anyone legitimately advise me why I should not have knocked him off his bike , apart of course from the risk of being arrested myself ,,,,,,,,,,,What the feck is going on when these imbeciles feel they can ride on the pavement on a busy ,busy thoroughfare? and round a corner at that!
How did it get to this? License the feckers and have done with it, or allow us to push the morons through plate glass windows ,whatever is the cheaper.
Child abuse ?? Not enough of it if you ask me.

Offline gladiator

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2014, 06:09:21 AM »
Jersey's compulsory cycle helmet law: based on emotion, not evidence?

The Channel Island’s politicians insist compulsory bike helmet use for under 14s will improve public health. But the evidence does not seem to be on their side
Posted by
Peter Walker
Wednesday 30 July 2014 10.51 BST
theguardian.com

Quotes:

Helmet use for children in Jersey is already 84%, while the only casualty data offered in the report, for 2013, showed that precisely zero under 14s were seriously injured on bikes. Any public health gain seems so marginal as to be effectively zero.

Of an annual budget of about £630m the island spends £150,000 a year on “general pedestrian and cycle improvements”, according to Dodd, with another £500,000 on “village centre improvements”, some of which covers shared spaces, plus £2m over the next few years on new infrastructure linked to cycling. It’s all very well, but it’s never going to change much.
So that’s where we are. On a small island where 20% of children are overweight and cycling would seem an obvious way to provide everyday exercise we have a legislature passing a measure which will, at very best, give no discernible public health benefit while giving youngsters and their parents the message that cycling is intrinsically unsafe.

I just don’t think it makes sense.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/jul/30/jersey-compulsory-cycle-helmet-law-emotion-not-evidence#start-of-comments

It amazes me that the Guardian has written about Jersey’s compulsory helmet law and published it on their front online page but it has attracted over 400 comments so far.

There are some very important points made in this article.

Jersey’s scrutiny office commissioned a study by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) which was not based on original research and only on existing literature. Sadly they found literature regarding whether helmet compulsion affects cycle use and the eventual net public health benefit was mixed and contradictory.

Therefore there is no evidence to back up this compulsory cycle helmet law apart from the tragic personal connection Minister Green has.
In that case money has been wasted for either a poorly researched expensive study by the TRL or poor decisions have been made based on the fact that some States members don’t understand the bigger picture that law has to be factual and based on evidence and not on emotional arguments.

What should have happened is to get the right statistics on the table, collect available evidence based original research studies and see the bigger picture and make Jersey a bike-friendly island with a dense network of cycle paths, ideally with traffic free paths to the village schools which will encourage more children using their bikes and tackling the problem of childhood obesity at the same time.

As an example, Il de Re in France.

http://www.wakeupinfrance.co.uk/ile-de-re-holiday-ideas

Instead a kneejerk proposed law has been passed and no measurable outcome has been put into place for its benefits and cost effectiveness.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:27:42 AM by gladiator »

Offline shortport

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2014, 02:56:04 AM »
Yes complete waste of time and as pointed out by one comment on the Guardian you may as well make it compulsory for pedestrians to wear helments.Not only that it will go the same way as littering and fly tipping,no one will ever be charged so whats the point of wasting a fortune on lawyers to make it criminal.Better to run safety campaigns and educate people and let them make their own choice.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2014, 02:01:09 AM »
Just ban cycling on the roads.
 Skateboarding and rollerblading isn,t allowed, so why let folk use other kids toys on the main highway?

"Simples".

Offline Little Bob

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »
Why ban cycling, when banning cars would be far more beneficial.
It seems people treat cars like toys rather than bicycles http://youtu.be/bG82BPOmg-k probably because they think that they have some sort of entitlement to throw such a large lump of metal around with no care.

The roads in Jersey are congested and dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists alike. Too many people, not paying attention and with cameras becoming more widespread, in cars, on motorbikes and push bikes and even on pedestrians, we are going to see far more of the bad road use in the future.

Will there be any change to current licensing to address the fact that people dont pay attention to the roads as they should or are more laws going to be introduced like the helmet one to pass blame from those who don't give a  flying foo when on the roads and those who pay attention?

Offline wakey

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »
I lived in Germany for quite a while, and the cycle lanes were so good that even small children used them to cycle to school, I was warned by locals that cycles always had priority, and that in any accidents involving vehicles and cyclists, the vehicle had to prove their innocence in the collision, and that the cyclist always won the case.