Author Topic: Should we all have to wear cycle helments by law ?  (Read 8013 times)

rogueelement

Re: Should we all have to wear cycle helments by law ?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 01:56:29 AM »
I think you will find smokers pay a huge amount approximately £4 / pack for their filthy habit, drivers pay duty through the petrol/diesel tax, it is only cyclists who are allowed to cause damage to themselves at no charge. bring back the cycling licence at £100/person, that will pay for the damage they do to themselves on ana annual basis, with obviously no restitution to the poor drivers thay cause accidents to. At least if they were obliged to display a licence number we could report the tossers for their constant breaches of my human rights, ie, the right to walk on a pavement without some numbskulled cycling nob giving me the finger for advising him to get on the road!

Offline iruka

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 03:11:02 AM »
I think you will find smokers pay a huge amount approximately £4 / pack for their filthy habit

not enough IMHO

drivers pay duty through the petrol/diesel tax
maybe enougth

it is only cyclists who are allowed to cause damage to themselves at no charge. bring back the cycling licence at £100/person, that will pay for the damage they do to themselves on ana annual basis, with obviously no restitution to the poor drivers thay cause accidents to. At least if they were obliged to display a licence number we could report the tossers for their constant breaches of my human rights, ie, the right to walk on a pavement without some numbskulled cycling nob giving me the finger for advising him to get on the road!

Can't argue with that. I have fond (sort of) memories of the licence plate on my bicycle.

Online Fritz

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I sometimes wore a helmet when racing, and always when commuting in Inner London. I smashed a few in crashes when commuting which probably saved some cosmetic damage, but one day totally wrecked one in a race.

I think they are useful in certain collisions but not all.

I know mountain bike rather than road bike and think that they are essential in that type of riding as collisions are more sudden and less anticipated.

Compulsion?

If the rider pays the medical bills for their folly - no problem. Now that's another can of worms. Smokers. Drinkers. Seat Belt Non-Wearers....

(edit)

Oh bugger!  That verged on serious and sensible.   ;)

After wrecking all those helmets, surely you can see that cycling is not for you. ;D.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »
When I'm driving, non seat belted, with a Robusto alight and a teensy flask of nip in one hand, double cheeseburger and mobile phone in the other I think the addition of a helmet would be a distraction to my laptop entries.
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

ole razzy

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »
When I'm driving, non seat belted, with a Robusto alight and a teensy flask of nip in one hand, double cheeseburger and mobile phone in the other I think the addition of a helmet would be a distraction to my laptop entries.

Why didn't you mention the blowjob?

Offline shaunsky1

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:47 PM »
hi spartacus well well this time you are right how did you do that was is insperation or persperation
we will never know
shaunsky1
TTFN

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 08:31:14 PM »
Why didn't you mention the blowjob?

Because I didnt think legally it can be termed as a distraction, however, I'm sure the most eligible Spartacus with his razor honed mind will put this to bed for us. (Also I didn't mention that the Robusto had been alight).

rogueelement

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 12:27:32 AM »
hi spartacus well well this time you are right how did you do that was is insperation or persperation
we will never know
shaunsky1
TTFN

I have no idea Spunkski! Basically i have no idea what you are talking about??
Never mind a couple of cc of what you need will surely straighten you up and if not, well , who the feck gives one.
Are you usefully gained in employment at this present time?

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
Spunksky1 's gobshite looks familiar - Mods! Arrest that poster, he's an imposter! Stinks of Hunny.

rogueelement

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »
I don,t think so Gordo , unless the honey monster has taken a severe lurch to the left ,,  could be the snow and ice on the roads I suppose! A surprising lack of cyclists on the roads I note, I suppose principals do not apply at 2 degrees under. They could walk maybe, but have not seen too many of them either , I wonder how long it will take in these cold times, with lack of facilities ,transport or the ability to walk 2 miles , before a veggie succumbs to a bacon buttie?

Offline Dundee

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »
With respect to the height challenged, coloured, fellow with a civil partner: I'll have you know I cycled to work the last two days, okay this morning I chickened out. It was actually fun overtaking cars, as I had a helmet on I knew there was only a 88 percent chance of getting injured in an accident.

From the jolly green giant
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:02:17 PM by Dundee »

Offline iruka

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 10:51:58 PM »
After wrecking all those helmets, surely you can see that cycling is not for you. ;D.

Oh! THOSE helmets  <LOL>

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 01:20:02 AM »
I think it should be a matter of personal choice. My choice would be not to wear one. Although it is did become compulsory I wonder if we could wear a motorbike helmet instead as they offer far more protection or would that be against the law as it is not a cycle helmet.

Its no wonder the world is becoming overpopulated with all these health and flaming safety laws being thrust upon us. And regarding paying for people on bikes who suffer an injury is that not what our social security pays for not road taxes etc? I am probably wrong but thats what i thought I pay social for, or at least one reason.

rogueelement

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 01:42:10 AM »
You are entirely correct in so far as you state that you are probably wrong.
IF SS covers you for being on a bike how come it does not cover me for being in a car?? huh?? answer me that!

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 02:03:07 AM »
Uh, ok I can see what I wrote and what I meant are totally different. What I meant was that I thought I paid my social in order that should I need hospital treatment, regardless of why, it is because of my contributions and from others that I am able to benefit from free hospital treatment.

I hope that explains it better and you can answer the queation i intended to make. thanks.