Author Topic: Should we all have to wear cycle helments by law ?  (Read 8669 times)

Offline boatyboy

Should we all have to wear cycle helments by law ?
« on: January 06, 2010, 09:44:20 PM »
Deputy Andrew Green sadly saw his son sustain serious head injuries at the age of nine and is now trying to impose on all children and adults a law which makes us ride our cycles wearing a helmet.

Having given this some thought, and having a couple of extra bikes at home for when friends visit Jersey my views are simple enough. Firstly as an adult I would not wear a helmet because I only use the bike in fine weather and to pop to the shops and as a motorcyclist, car driver and boat driver the chances of being seriously hurt at 12 mph are minimal but I admit possible. Really though give us proof. Is their more chance of winning the Euro lottery ?

Can the figures over the last 20 years be published to show that so many people are being smashed up on their bikes that this is necessary.

Is this another law which is out of step with developed countries ? Are visitors to Jersey who hire bikes, expected to wear helmets when in thier own countries (which have larger and faster traffic) there are no such laws.

It is proved that there is a health cost as many of us will give up bikes rather than accept the law to wear helmets.

Is this the nanny state yet again.

The idea of green lanes as with Andrew Greens suggestion, is another kind and caring  law, but cannot be policed effectively without draconian fines.

My own view is maybe for children under sixteen. Adults have free choice we are not children, and figures for other countries do not make the case.

Helmets - Wear One If You Want

Quotes from Bristol Cycling.

As most of you will know, the Department for Transport is running a campaign to get teenage boys to wear cycle helmets, a campaign which is counterproductive and doomed to failure. The graphic images of x-rayed heads and helmets are likely to discourage teenagers, and if they don't, they will certainly make sure that the parents won't allow them out on a bike, with or without a helmet.

Why is the DfT taking this action? It appears to be in response to a DfT review of the research about cycle helmets, which was supposed to be independent and unbiased, but has been widely criticised for being neither. Amongst hundreds of research papers, they just happened to pick the same sixteen, small-scale, hospital based papers that the Australian government used to justify their imposition of mandatory helmets, and they didn't look at any of the whole-population research which showed no benefit whatsoever. The DfT have said that they intend to bring in a helmet law when a sufficient proportion of cyclists are wearing them, and this campaign would appear to be a push to increase that level, so that they can justify a law.

http://www.bristolcyclingcampaign.org.uk/tbc/2003/summer/helmets.htm

Australian Website.

The likelihood of a crash when cycling is not the same for all cyclists or in all situations, and not all crashes are equally likely to result in a head injury. For example, the risk of a crash is very much influenced by social factors [44], cycling skill, where the person is riding and even personal temperament. Serious head injuries are much less likely in crashes with no motor vehicle involved and when a person rides more cautiously.
Just as gloves prevent minor wounds to the hands, cycle helmets are likely to prevent similar wounds to the head, but these are not serious injuries or in any way life-threatening. In the largest case-control study, 73% of head injuries did not involve concussion or other brain injury [10]. Based on this wide definition, including all wounds to the head, helmet wearers will have lower rates of head injury. However, the case-control study evidence for other types of head injury is not as consistent as is often suggested.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1052.html

Boatyboy.

Offline namoop

Re: Should we all have to wear cycle helments by law ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »
I fully agree with Boatyboy on this one. In fact, cyclists should be banned from wearing helmets. It is a well known fact that most cycling related deaths are a result of serious head injury leaving the rest of the body relatively undamaged due to the low speed of impact. Rather than making helmets compulsory, they should make cyclists carry organ donor cards. Cyclists, God bless 'em, keeping transplant organs healthy and fresh for the rest of us.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »
as a motorcyclist, and being forced to wear a helmet, i think cyclists should be wearing a helmet, just as much as they should follow the highway code like the rest of road users and also have a number plate.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:35:07 PM »
Having only started wearing a helmet in the last 6 months or so, I think every encouragement should be given for people to wear helmets, I think most cyclists have the common sense to wear them now. Motor cyclists accept them and will often spend a large amount on them, so why should cyclists not do the same. Should also go for those skateboarding and bmx activities. Seat belts are also the law so most road users have to abide by some legislation.

As for holiday makers, simple enough: those hiring bikes have helmets provided by the operator.

The chance of head injuries may be slim, but they do happen, I know someone who broke their collar bone, and cracked their helmet in half not long ago, just caught a stone from a hedge cutter.

Head injuries can and do often result in the person being damaged beyond repair. Such injuries are not catered for on Island and casualties are usually flown to Southampton at great expense.

Adults should be setting youngsters a good example so to exempt adults is not a solution.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
Hi BB

I cycle every day always have, i never wear a helmet and never will. I went over a car a year ago did the whole ambulance job but it's my choice. How would they police it.

What's next why don't we ban booze and fags.

Under 16/18 helmets Adults can do as they please

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:08 AM »
I think Andrew Green wants to "head up" the Condom Police next and make sure that all of you are wearing helmets.(Specially you Rico with your hot weekends hahaha!!)
Makes sense dunnit?
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Dundee

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »
 The facts speak for themselves, I think most of us will allow an exemption for Rico:

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/college.asp?P=2250

The number of serious head injuries among cyclists of all ages has fallen as a result of increasing helmet use, despite doubts about the effectiveness of helmets, report researchers from Imperial College in this week's BMJ

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586770/
Cycling is good for health, recreation, and transportation,1 however there is concern that these benefits may be partially offset by the risk of injury to cyclists. UK police reports show that in 2004 134 cyclists were killed, and 2174 severely injured. Of these 577 were children; 300 of primary school age.2 Thirty four percent of cyclists who required admission to hospital had sustained a head injury of these half were children. One percent of cyclists admitted with a head injury died as a result.3
Using cycle helmets prevents injury and death from head injury as demonstrated overwhelmingly in a Cochrane review. It showed that helmets reduced the risk of head injury by 85% and risk of brain injury by 88%

Online Fritz

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:49:14 AM »
I think the answer is to ban cyclists from the roads.
Bicycles are toys for children, simple as that.
Any right minded person would not play in the middle of a busy road.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 12:52:49 AM »
The facts speak for themselves, I think most of us will allow an exemption for Rico:

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/college.asp?P=2250

The number of serious head injuries among cyclists of all ages has fallen as a result of increasing helmet use, despite doubts about the effectiveness of helmets, report researchers from Imperial College in this week's BMJ

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586770/
Cycling is good for health, recreation, and transportation,1 however there is concern that these benefits may be partially offset by the risk of injury to cyclists. UK police reports show that in 2004 134 cyclists were killed, and 2174 severely injured. Of these 577 were children; 300 of primary school age.2 Thirty four percent of cyclists who required admission to hospital had sustained a head injury of these half were children. One percent of cyclists admitted with a head injury died as a result.3
Using cycle helmets prevents injury and death from head injury as demonstrated overwhelmingly in a Cochrane review. It showed that helmets reduced the risk of head injury by 85% and risk of brain injury by 88%

Nice research on helmet use dundee how about some on the suspended police chief

one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Dundee

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 01:22:28 AM »
Which one?   ;D

rogueelement

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 01:28:09 AM »
The simple fact is , that we do need body donour parts and it is awfully nice of cyclists to be so obliging.
I think think anyone under the age of 16, should be obliged to wear a helmet , anyone over , should not , providing they have clear indication that anything but their brains should be available for transplant. to be fair the rest of their organs , providing they are not drug users, should be quite fit.

rogueelement

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 01:30:53 AM »
I also think the major thing being missed here is that we should only perhaps be obliged to wear cycle helmets , if we are on a bike, otherwise , I do believe this is a step too far.

rogueelement

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 01:34:04 AM »
Hi BB

I cycle every day always have, i never wear a helmet and never will. I went over a car a year ago did the whole ambulance job but it's my choice. How would they police it.

What's next why don't we ban booze and fags.

Under 16/18 helmets Adults can do as they please

rs

I agree entirely !
i hope your mishap did not result in any decrease in brain function, although it would be hard to notice , I suppose.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 01:43:22 AM »
I agree entirely !
i hope your mishap did not result in any decrease in brain function, although it would be hard to notice , I suppose.

I fear we are about to get a page of twaddle to back up your assumption, the mishap really does explain a lot of things now - mood swings, bad language, flights of fancy,false idols, memory lapses and a short attention span.  ::)

Offline iruka

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 01:46:39 AM »
I sometimes wore a helmet when racing, and always when commuting in Inner London. I smashed a few in crashes when commuting which probably saved some cosmetic damage, but one day totally wrecked one in a race.

I think they are useful in certain collisions but not all.

I know mountain bike rather than road bike and think that they are essential in that type of riding as collisions are more sudden and less anticipated.

Compulsion?

If the rider pays the medical bills for their folly - no problem. Now that's another can of worms. Smokers. Drinkers. Seat Belt Non-Wearers....

(edit)

Oh bugger!  That verged on serious and sensible.   ;)