Author Topic: Accountabilty and transparancy, the hallmarks of good Government  (Read 17282 times)

Offline Dundee

Re: Accountabilty and transparancy, the hallmarks of good Government
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 01:02:47 AM »

That is just what some one would say who might work for a department employed by the chief ministers office. In fact most of your posts come over that way. Not personal for or against like the other  bloggers,  just spin.

I've gone from a politician to civil servant in short space of time, I should be Chief Minister by the end of the month on Planet Zogg, what is wrong with being open minded? you should try it some time, if there is anything between your ears

Have you spotted it members?

No, just a few tools

Lets face it its winter and for spin doctors, they have to earn ( I am being charitable) their tax payers money. I guess you will be changing tatics now ;)

I have no tactics other than to engage in constructive dialogue, unlike some on here who just post and repeat twaddle that belongs in the bin or gutter

Boatyboy.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Re: Accountability and transparency, the hallmarks of good Government
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 04:30:21 AM »
Are tell me that it was a mistake that the states members could not access v for c? It tells me that some people did not want the members to know about certain things, they will try anything to cover up the lies from the establishment. Just look at Campbell and the straight faced lies then a smile he has come out with again this week over the Iraq war. Cover up everybody knows it is but they will still lie and that is the same as our establishment.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 04:44:21 AM »
I suppose the States members managed to read the multiple cross postings on this forum   ;D

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »

Governments asking the people ? better not, if you want an honest answer. It is not just Jersey suffering from confidence in elected
leaders.

Independent.

The prolonged economic crisis has created centrifugal forces that are pulling European public opinion apart, separating the French from the Germans and the Germans from everyone else. The southern nations of Spain, Italy and Greece are becoming ever more estranged as evidenced by their frustration with Brussels, Berlin and the perceived unfairness of the economic system.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/05/13/the-new-sick-man-of-europe-the-european-union/

BB

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »

The arrest of a sixteen old blogger in China has caused a stir.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2426559/Chinese-teenager-suggested-police-investigated-mans-death-thoroughly-person-arrested-countrys-new-anti-gossip-law.html

In a New Twist.

The police chief who arrested him, has had his affairs researched by sympathetic internet users of the young man, and the police chief has just been suspended facing a corruption investigation.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/24/chinese-police-chief-suspended-yang-hui-detention

While Jersey freedom of the press, and freedom for  islanders to request information is more open than China’s and should indeed stay that way because of this,

The States voted for a freedom of information law, interestingly Terry Le Suer and six constables voted against.

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3285.msg51477.html#msg51477

BB

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »

The arrest of a sixteen old blogger in China has caused a stir.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2426559/Chinese-teenager-suggested-police-investigated-mans-death-thoroughly-person-arrested-countrys-new-anti-gossip-law.html

In a New Twist.

The police chief who arrested him, has had his affairs researched by sympathetic internet users of the young man, and the police chief has just been suspended facing a corruption investigation.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/24/chinese-police-chief-suspended-yang-hui-detention

While Jersey freedom of the press, and freedom for  islanders to request information is more open than China’s and should indeed stay that way because of this,

The States voted for a freedom of information law, interestingly Terry Le Suer and six constables voted against.

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3285.msg51477.html#msg51477

BB

As I recall  States then declined to actually implement the FOI law proper because it 'would cost money' (unsubstantialted figures of 10 million cited). Quite unlike the DP law then?   

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 12:09:33 AM »
It should be investigated far more thoroughly as to why there is no Freedom Of Information law.  People should ask pertinent and relevant questions at any Hustings that come up in and during the year prior to elections.

Freedom Of Information is important.  I note a friend has often had difficulty in getting such FOI in the UK though.  She had to fight for it and sometimes didn't get it.

Cali
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »
Mark is correct, the post outlines that the States voted in favour of the law, which received a big yes. It is my understanding that there is a presumption towards freedom of information, because of the yes vote in the States. The Law is still to hit the books.

Had they all voted no, then the door would still be closed. The JEP has tabled several FOI requests which have been answered.

BB
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:31:07 PM by boatyboy »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »

Have you ever wondered who the main owners of certain building, road works and other companies that secure a majority of Governments contracts on Jersey?

It may be that they are just more professional, faster and cheaper than the competition. It could be that the owners of the company are relatives, spouses, wealthy civil servants or sitting States members.

Change is in the air for transparency, because coming down the track is a planned register in the UK and Jersey and the CI’s will  have little reason not to follow suit or stay secret and be criticized.

The answer to any companies re-registering in countries that sell secrecy, Switzerland, or the Cayman islands is to simply exclude them from contracts by law.

Guardian.

Quote:

The government will announce that a planned register setting out the true owners of companies will be open to the public for scrutiny, not just the tax authorities, in a continuing effort to deter tax evasion.

He is expected to say: "For too long a small minority have hidden their business dealings behind a complicated web of shell.
companies – and this cloak of secrecy has fuelled all manners of questionable practice and downright illegality.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/31/public-register-firms-secret-owners-cameron

Boatyboy.

Online Fritz

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 02:06:15 AM »
The ,"Dogs on the street", know how a certain gardening/landscaping company manage to secure states funded building and drainage contracts.
This ,"Local", company has no experience whatsoever in certain areas, but still manages to undercut experienced professional companies to secure states contracts.

"Its a family thing".

Offline danrok

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 03:31:56 AM »
The ,"Dogs on the street", know how a certain gardening/landscaping company manage to secure states funded building and drainage contracts.
This ,"Local", company has no experience whatsoever in certain areas, but still manages to undercut experienced professional companies to secure states contracts.

"Its a family thing".

I'd suspect that the final amount paid to this cowboy outfit exceeds their initial quote.  All part of the scam.

Online Fritz

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 04:01:53 AM »
You only have to look at who runs the company, and who is in a position to award the contracts.

"Its a family thing". As we say in Jersey, "Eh"!

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 07:29:25 PM »
You can bet your life that some contracts go to states members who hide that they have an interest in the company that is doing the work.
All I will say is that it is time they got Ronez back to do the roads. La Haule to Beaumont is dis gusting. Like riding on a choppy sea.
If Ronez did do it there should be no back hander for certain states members I bet.

Offline jerseydaz

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 01:19:21 AM »
It's not just States members who have vested interests. No one ever seems to look at the civil servants who have other " interests" which the States use.

Online Fritz

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 01:29:05 AM »
It always worries me when I see a gardening firm awarded various States funded projects that have bugger all to do with gardening.
Is it just a case of someone in the States just saying, "Here, you,ve got a registered company. Why dont you just submit a price 5% less than the quotes we,ve already received and recruit whatever staff you need"?
No need to actually pay for a proper surveyor and price the job.
Just submit a cheaper quote, and let nepotism do the rest. "Eh".