Author Topic: Accountabilty and transparancy, the hallmarks of good Government  (Read 20133 times)

Offline boatyboy

AS  the old year lives its final day, It becomes very clear from reading everything from the JEP letter pages to all the other internet bloggs over the year, that the majority of islanders believe that the administration of Jersey has become discredited and by alliance the  Government leadership.

The Chief Executive of all chief executives, actually threatened the local media with an injunction ( I am not the second man ) saying he was not the man involved. This is found to be not the truth verified by questions asked in the Jersey Assembly of States members. He is still in his job.

No minutes or records of a weekly meeting are kept by those in high office of Jerseys Chief executives, yet perversely records that are kept, have been withheld from a suspended Chief of police whom after months of trying at many levels, gets rewarded with documents relevant to his defence. Not that the public know the charges, as these are secret.

For 2009 the catalogue of fiascos and blunders suffered by the islanders in the hands of those charged and paid to run the island, are so damming and diverse that there is a powerful feeling that there is no accountability or leadership of States departments and also the  real possibility that creeping corruption is the cause of so many mind numbing bad decisions. 

The people of Jersey felt compelled to show their dismay over development of luxury developments on the beautiful coast line; many build for the rich immigrants and short term profit. The loss of millions by the Treasury Minister of the time and his department. The remit of a report of wrong doings at the hospital, partly compiled and steered by those being investigated.

Reader my point is made but you no doubt have many other incidents you could add to the list.

Jersey was and still is a beautiful and enchanting place to live at this moment in time. Once an island of strong community ties, with an infrastructure and services, although not ambitious worked and functioned well. We made our living from tourism farming and finance. We paid tax but for me it seemed fair, we were all wealthy .  Compared to Jersey now ( with user pays tax, stealth taxes and heavy social security payments for the self employed ) it was paradise and could be again in this ever changing world.

Jersey needs the authority of a strong, focused Government to attack the real economic and accountability problems caused by decades of wealth. This has caused obesity in the (non profit making) public sector, while tying ( the money making) entrepreneurial and private sector arms  behind there backs with red tape and hundreds  of good intentioned but obstructive unnecessary bye laws and interference.

There are many good States members who realise that serious fundamental and cultural reforms are not options but essential for a slimmed down economy on a small island that wants to survive. This will benefit all its residents not just a well heeled few.

It will be those with realistic, common sense focused minds and a greater knowledge of working Government that will bring this about. Certainly not those working in quangos or heading States departments on ridiculously high wages and at arms length from the realities of the commercial world.

Jersey is economically and morally ( trying to use data laws to silence freedom of speech) completely out of balance and this must be restored.

I wish you all health, happiness and success for 2010.

Boatyboy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:31:57 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Pomme de terre

Re: Accountabilty and transparancy, the hallmarks of good Government
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:17:04 AM »
Cheers Boaty, another good post. Keep up the good work in 2010 mate!

Happy New Year one and all.

Online Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
I totally agree with every word that Boatyboy has said. Happy New Year to all.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:48:42 AM »
States stop politicians from accessing internet Bloggs. It was an accident they say !

Quotes are selective please see full article.

The States replied to a conspiracy theory they were covering up online debate by blocking some local blogs.
'Voice for Children', a blog which aims to provide an alternative media source of news and opinion for Jersey has been unblocked by the States of Jersey.
Politicians and States employees can now get access to it from their government computers.

The States explained that the original blocking was accidental and came about as part of a software upgrade.

"The 'Voice for Children' site is now accessible on the States network for all users to view, as are other sites of public interest," said John Richardson.

The co-ordinator of the Voice for Children Blog, Neil M, said he is pleased about it becoming accessible again.
However, he pointed out to the BBC that his Blog's contents were the first some members of the States heard about Graham Power's complaint letter over the way he'd been treated.
He told BBC Jersey that if members had only been using their States computers they may never have known at all about the extent of the concerns Graham Power had about his suspension as Chief Police Officer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/jersey/hi/people_and_places/the_states/newsid_8456000/8456832.stm

BB
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:53:37 AM by boatyboy »

rogueelement

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:00:49 AM »
I can see that you have an issue Batty Buoy, I would like to know what it is?
someone has obviously done you some harm down the line (Hey We can all jump into that boat) but your logic appears to lack objectivety and subjectivitey , you arrive at every point from the same angle ,i know you like this cutting and pasting malerkey ,but it would be really nice if you could let us know exactly what your beef is , I suspect it was being ignored at a time you felt you were really ,really important and subsequently found out you were just another drone ,doing the work and not even a taste of the honey.
Whatever , without being rude , i find your posts tedious and boring,your cutting and pastings only second in line to Rico,s in the "this years winner of the most bizarre and boring postings" category.
Complain to the mods , if you like , I should complain to the medical council given that your un prescribed boring tablets,,,, ie just about everything you say , are inducing a coma .

Offline Wayne Rooney

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:23:30 AM »
Come on – back to business.
See the name of this topic page ?
I just don’t agree that accountability and transparency are the hallmarks of good government .I tell you what the hallmarks of good government are; low taxes, low unemployment, a good standard of health and social care and a top notch “catch all” educational  system. A  bit like Jersey ?  yes – no ?

rogueelement

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:41:29 AM »
Yes but increasingly no.
My take home pay has dropped alarmingly because i do not have a mortgage. Because i only have one child at school (which I pay for)
i pay for my families medical health treatment , and have no States pension.
Paradise in Jersey these days , is having States accomodation( pretty nice stuff too), child benefit, a hand out for being unemployed and every other thing you could wangle.. ( a bad back gives you a lifetime of medical disablement). No tax..........I,m not bitter at all, would not swap places either . At least I can hold my head high , unlike a lot of these scroungers.
I am not saying I detest these parasites ,but neither do I believe we should continue supplementing them forever.
I look at the UK today , 5 muslim activists , living on the state in the UK, their "party" being banned , their reaction?? This is going to cost the taxpayer !
Maybe it is just me , but I think five single tickets to Aghanistan would be the answer to that problem.
For those of our local families living in States accomodation , who also have lovely houses in their " home country" where and when does the piss taking stop?

Offline Wayne Rooney

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 01:52:31 AM »
Hey Sparty does that view apply to Neil mcslurry ? he’s a bit like those 5 dole collecting Muslims activists in a way, in that he expects the state to fund his every need whilst he spends all his time undermining and criticising the government and exploiting the Islands excellent social welfare system.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:45:24 AM »
Yes but increasingly no.
My take home pay has dropped alarmingly because i do not have a mortgage. Because i only have one child at school (which I pay for)
i pay for my families medical health treatment , and have no States pension.
Paradise in Jersey these days , is having States accomodation( pretty nice stuff too), child benefit, a hand out for being unemployed and every other thing you could wangle.. ( a bad back gives you a lifetime of medical disablement). No tax..........I,m not bitter at all, would not swap places either . At least I can hold my head high , unlike a lot of these scroungers.
I am not saying I detest these parasites ,but neither do I believe we should continue supplementing them forever.
I look at the UK today , 5 muslim activists , living on the state in the UK, their "party" being banned , their reaction?? This is going to cost the taxpayer !
Maybe it is just me , but I think five single tickets to Aghanistan would be the answer to that problem.
For those of our local families living in States accomodation , who also have lovely houses in their " home country" where and when does the piss taking stop?

You are damned right!
They should be given the option of either a one way ticket to their shite hole in Afghanistan or conscription with  insurrection as a capital offence bit highlighted!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Dundee

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 05:42:35 AM »
Rather odd to mention that some people have only read a private letter since it was published on the Kiddies Voice, most letters to States members never see the light of day so why should one be surprised that a letter was not widely read before hand.

As for Kiddies Voice being blocked, this is a fairly common thing to occur, although I expect some malicious IT expert thought it would be a good laugh to block this one.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »
Mick ( croc "O" shite) dundee

It must realy hurt lol oh boy it must hurt. 

And that makes me sooooooooooo happy  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Kiddies Voice.  Love it mick what a beauty

rsxx
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Dundee

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 07:18:28 PM »
Mick ( croc "O" shite) dundee

It must realy hurt lol oh boy it must hurt. 

And that makes me sooooooooooo happy  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Kiddies Voice.  Love it mick what a beauty

rsxx

What hurts is paying for that total useless waste of space in London.

You just do not get it do you, you must be so misguided

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »

Your opinion Croc Pot, but lets face it we are also paying for at least 50 others here!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:31:16 AM »

That is just what some one would say who might work for a department employed by the chief ministers office. In fact most of your posts come over that way. Not personal for or against like the other  bloggers,  just spin.

Have you spotted it members?

Lets face it its winter and for spin doctors, they have to earn ( I am being charitable) their tax payers money. I guess you will be changing tatics now ;)

Boatyboy.

rogueelement

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 12:57:34 AM »
Batty boy is now accusing the dundee of being a spin doctor,,, some time ago he also accused me of the same thing!!.....and asked the same question , "How much are you getting paid!!!?"
the answer then was, as is  the answer now .........zero!!, as far as i am concerned ,, although I would willingly take a gratuity or two to extract the urine from the demented bloggers , The batty buoy and pals are just desperate for something to be ,,,oh soooo wrong, are they not?
I am almost becoming bored with repeating the same appeal.........show me some freakin proof you muppets!!
I know i have mentioned , Von Maunchehausens by proxy before and that is the only thing I can consider is relevant to these seekers of horror, like zombies sucking on the life blood of innocent people , dribbling their gore and infecting all they meet.
I tell you what I think , I think you will be shown up for the parasitical insects sucking on misery that you really are , people without a cause or heart or soul, desperately seeking some glory in the misfortune of others and the paradoxical claim from you is that you want to help people!! You guys need to examine your lives , I think you are quite ill.