Author Topic: Bungled Jersey child abuse probe branded a '£20million shambles'.  (Read 23471 times)

Offline danrok

Re: Bungled Jersey child abuse probe branded a '£20million shambles'.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »
The Daily Mail article is a text book example of propaganda, as are many of their news stories.

Offline iruka

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 06:00:53 PM »
The Daily Mail article is a text book example of propaganda, as are many of their news stories.

Silly me. How do we choose which ones are true and which ones are not?

The ones briefed by Lenny, or the ones which show him in a bad light?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-518672/Haut-la-Garenne-Why-abuse-level-happen-again.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-521531/Ex-Jersey-childrens-home-worker-tried-intimidate-victim-keeping-quiet.html

Or are they ALL propaganda of different sorts depending on who is buying dinner?

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »
I wonder how he explains this (also from the Mail so can't be true according to some people)

For example, in 2003, two years after Harper became deputy police chief, his detectives learnt that a former resident of Haut de la Garenne was saying he had been taken on boat trips between the ages of six and ten and subjected to repeated and serious sexual assaults.
But instead of investigating the alleged abuser, the police charged the victim for trying to blackmail his assailant.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217863/Bungled-Jersey-child-abuse-probe-branded-20million-shambles.html#comments#ixzz0T2ITxuO2

If you were to read around the subject, you would realise that the blackmail case was one of the triggers for the HdLG investigation. It, along with other evidence, led the police to conclude that all was perhaps not quite right in the parish of St Martin.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:48:38 PM by Pomme de terre »

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »
Now this a strange one from the mail...

David Warcup jerseys acting police chief told the mail on sunday that he had appointed an independant team of auditors to examine harpers spending.. It includes

Two forensic accountants & a police expert in seizing criminal assets ....     WOW what the hell is austin vautier doing

Who the hell is paying for that is it us the TAXPAYER is it in the 20million bill... But hang this is the best feckin bit

The interim report has been seen by the mail i repeat the interim report has been seen by the mail

WHO THE BLOODY HELL SHOWED THEM

Is Warcup out of control does Warcup work for the mail

Everyone should read the mail article its just funny...

rs

one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline iruka

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 07:04:43 AM »
If you were to read around the subject, you would realise that the blackmail case was one of the triggers for the HdLG investigation. It, along with other evidence, led the police to conclude that all was perhaps not quite right in the parish of St Martin.

I see <light dawns> - so, as Deputy Chief he had no influence over that case at all then? Couldn't brief the press on that one? If so, what made him think that any other alleged cases would be any different? Or was he hoping they would implicate more senior officials? I wonder at what point SS got involved.

Are we moving towards a suggestion that:

Frustrated he was unable to charge someone for abuse in the blackmail case (mustn't forget the frustration over the RPGs), he embarked upon what would be a high profile, media-intensive case to ferret out other senior govt. officials whom he suspected may have been guilty of something?

Maybe then, after failing to uncover anything of that nature after two years of "undercover" investigations he decided to go public in a blaze of media frenzy to see if he could "uncover" anything...

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 04:57:33 PM »
Iruka

What is it with you and RPG,s was it you  ::) ::) ::) ::)

That was a brilliant interview, Lenny Harper was well grilled and came over very well a fact that was even brought up in the states..

But bact to the RPG,s

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline danrok

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 05:11:25 PM »
Silly me. How do we choose which ones are true and which ones are not?

The ones briefed by Lenny, or the ones which show him in a bad light?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-518672/Haut-la-Garenne-Why-abuse-level-happen-again.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-521531/Ex-Jersey-childrens-home-worker-tried-intimidate-victim-keeping-quiet.html

Or are they ALL propaganda of different sorts depending on who is buying dinner?

No, they are not all propaganda, nor did I say they were.  I said that the recent article is a fine example of propaganda.

How does all this work?

These are 2 old articles dating from early 2008, and paint the Jersey authorities in a bad light.  So, what made the Daily Mail change their stance?  The answer is sure to be money, either money paid to them for advertising space (out of the millions wasted on advertising by Tourism last year), or some cash under the table.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 08:18:39 PM »
What i want to know is that this Corky would never had gone to court in the uk because of what the police had done yet our authorities took him to court. So where does this leave the Child Abuse case that there is no enough evidence to take them to court. Something funny there when there was no money no boat no drugs just the police breaking the law, now if they can do that what can they do with the Child Abuse??

Offline danrok

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
Really , you could not make this sh1t up , so the Daily Mail has printed an article because it got £40,000 from the Jersey Tourism dept. who were no doubt in league with the Police , the AG and ,,,,,,,,,,,,Jesus you guys seriously need to get a life!

Clearly you have no idea about how newspapers operate.

Offline iruka

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 11:37:08 AM »
Clearly you have no idea about how newspapers operate.

And you do of course.

This isn't small local rag.

2008 Results
£2,312m Revenue
£317m Adjusted operating profit
£262m Adjusted profit before tax

I can see how £40k will make all the difference.

Offline danrok

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
And you do of course.

This isn't small local rag.

2008 Results
£2,312m Revenue
£317m Adjusted operating profit
£262m Adjusted profit before tax

I can see how £40k will make all the difference.

Yes, I have had dealings with national newspapers, so I am well aware of how things work.

Also, you're quoting figures for DMGT Plc, of which the Daily Mail is just a part, and in any case you've quoted their adjusted figures rather than the Statutory Results which show a £68m loss.

Nice try at attempting to conceal the full picture, perhaps they'll give you a job!

http://www.dmgt.co.uk/mediacentre/newsreleases/20081120/5670/

Offline iruka

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »
I am well aware of what I quoted. Don't need to you to tell me.

Even with a loss after taxes etc. and even if you take it down to the level you imply, it still beggars belief that they would write a pack of lies for £40k.

Surely the States of Jersey would prefer that the Mail wrote NOTHING about the whole sordid affair rather than bring attention to it again? As it stands IF they spent £40k on an advert to lure tourists, it would have been neatly torpedoed by the article reminding the blue rinse set of the "House of Horrors".

Offline danrok

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »
The profitability of the Daily Mail is, in any case, completely irrelevant.

Who ever turned away easy money, on the basis that they don't need any more money?

Also, I don't know where this figure of £40K has come from?

Jersey Tourism has spent millions on marketing in the last 12 months.

it still beggars belief that they would write a pack of lies for £40k.

Erm... no it does not.  This is a well known established fact.  Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean squat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising#Dependency_of_the_media_and_corporate_censorship

“Journalists have long faced pressure to shape stories to suit advertisers and owners …. the vast majority of TV station executives found their news departments ‘cooperative’ in shaping the news to assist in ‘non-traditional revenue development.”[50] Negative and undesired reporting can be prevented or influenced when advertisers threaten to cancel orders or simply when there is a danger of such a cancellation.

Referenced from:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Political-Economy-Media-Enduring-Emerging/dp/1583671617

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 06:34:35 PM »
Danrok - you are 'spot on'.

The revenue that keeps 'newspapers' going is from their advertising revenue, not the income from selling papers. It is very important to sell advertising and keep advertisers happy.

I recall a story recounted to me from an ex JEP employee earlier this year when an advertising manager told the news editor that he 'couldn't possibly print that unfavourable story, as it was regarding a client who spent a lot of money on advertising'!!!

This is what we are up against. Newspapers are businesses like any other and need to show good profits to their shareholders. Whatever the States of Jersey spend on advertising with the Mail, it will be more lucrative to them than a botched story on Haut de la Garenne and aid the Establishment's cause to boot.

(Bad) job done!

Offline stoofa

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 10:14:03 PM »
This is what we are up against. Newspapers are businesses like any other and need to show good profits to their shareholders. Whatever the States of Jersey spend on advertising with the Mail, it will be more lucrative to them than a botched story on Haut de la Garenne and aid the Establishment's cause to boot.

If thats the case then where was this logic when they were printing the stories panning Jersey over this back in 08? I guess they were feeling a bit flush back then and weren't as bothered...

While I don't doubt that newspapers are as self serving as any other business, or that a lot of what they print could be quite accurately be described as rubbish, Jerseys poxy advertising income isn't going to set their stance on this stuff. Surely the more reasonable answer is that the Mail is an inflammatory rag that prints whatever sound the most sensational at the time - be that we have a island full of child murderers, or, now thats agreed a bit unlikely, that the whole thing was a bodge.

Guess that doesn't fit in with the grand conspiracy though.