Author Topic: Is Health Minister Anne Pryke letting us down ?  (Read 16750 times)

Online gladiator

Re: Is Health Minister Anne Pryke letting us down ?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »
I agree a good start and I really hope that Dr Rud’s example is going to be followed by other GPs who have the same vocation  of patient-centred care following good medical practice as also regulated by their GMC  and not business centred care where making high profits is more important than providing best evidence based and high quality care to all people.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/good_medical_practice.asp

Without putting Dr Rud’s effort down, we should not forget that his surgery still gets subsidised by social security for every patient £20 on top of his fees. But thankfully with his example he doesn’t appear as greedy as compared to his other GP colleagues.

Also Mrs Pryke has no regulatory duties to tell the GPs what to do but she missed the opportunity to change this when the White Paper was debated and she made no effort to highlight that. 

Was that incompetency or has she followed intructions by executives of the Jersey health service who will obviously support her to be re-elected?

References:

White Papers: Page 22

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/AssemblyReports/2012/R.082-2012.pdf

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,451.msg59081/topicseen.html#msg59081

Doctor’s fees

http://www.cab.org.je/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=596:doctors-in-jersey-fees-complaints-out-of-hours-service-1073l2-&catid=84:health-a-care-services&Itemid=101

Social Security Health card

http://www.gov.je/Health/DoctorDentist/Doctors/Pages/HealthCard.aspx

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:12:22 PM by gladiator »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »
It may be that you have picked up this article in the JEP

JEP.

Assistant Health Minister John Refault fielded numerous questions from Members in the absence of Health Minister Anne Pryke about the quality of care given to stroke patients on Samarès Ward at the hospital.

He said that if the allegaitons were true, he and the minister would wish to apologise. He added that more than 200 patients were admitted each year and that, in the past year, only one complaint had been made.

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2014/09/24/stroke-patients-suffering-from-neglect-at-overdale/

End.

I can assure the Minister Anne Pryke, that this is the truth, urine bottles were left with the patient all day with the effect that he wet the bed and had to wait for a long time to have his bedding changed on several days when we visited Overdale. I was going to complain to nurses, as I felt the dignity of the patient with several visitors each session and the urine bottle being on full display was being undermined. I was asked to say nothing because as was pointed out, the patient is very vulnerable when the visitors leave. Best not upset the staff.

What a wonderful building the Overdale hospital looks with the best woods and finishes it is truly a pleasant facility. On the three days bank holiday weekend that we visited and other days we were surprised that four nurses sat huddled in a circle with the door open to the corrider in full view,  rather than actually checking on their patients needs. We felt and discussed with our stroke victim personal friend, that the level of care was not particularly good on many levels, he was looking forward to dying or getting out of the place.

Boatyboy. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:27:10 PM by boatyboy »

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
You don't say what time of the day you visited, but nurses huddled together sounds like the daily observations meeting that every ward is obliged to do, however that is usually done 1st thing in the morning and it is vital that all staff are present.  Perhaps Samares find it easier to do during visiting time so at least patients are not alone. 

Despite what many people think, the hospital do take complaints seriously and all are looked into and the staff involved is found guilty unless they can prove otherwise.  No doubt the Samares ward is going through the motions. 

Online gladiator

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
Ageofaquarius

It is very honourable of you to defend the nursing staff as they are understaffed in particular on the weekends. But out of own experience the Samares ward's visiting time is in the afternoon in two parts and not in the morning. I also witnessed several nurses sitting in their office whilst my friend was waiting to have his urine bottle changed after ringing them for several times and had no drinks on his side table which was difficult to reach for him anyway with no surprise as the bed didn't even have a standard pull up bar to help him move in his bed. As everywhere there are some very hard working and compassionate nurses but also some who arent't. Perhaps there is a lack of leadership?

The PALS ( Patient liaison service) which is in place for complaints and has improved over the years but if you end up not being satisfied with the outcome the next step would be going to the  ombudsmen who are not independent because they are employed by the Guernsey health service.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:49:59 PM by gladiator »

Online gladiator

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
Read the manifesto of Health and Social Care minister Anne  Pryke who wants to be re-elected and you will only see words and no evidence based content.

http://www.annepryke.co.uk/manifesto

These are the questions, if I would be allowed to, I would like to ask at the next hustings the deputy on the 1st October:

1.) Hospital:

As you have been responsible for the annual budget of around £200 million for a population of 100.000 for the last 6 years then

...... why does private care supersede the public care and why do the doctors who use the hospital theatres etc don't pay for the use of hospital premises for their private work considering that the budget is taxpayer's money whom most of them can't afford private care hence have to live with unacceptable waiting times and substandard care?
Does the high number of civil servants with private care insurance have anything to do with it?

......why have you not been able to produce and  publish into the public domain performance data of the hospital such as waiting times, infection rates and cleanliness, consultant treatment outcomes like the UK NHS ( http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Yourchoices/consultant-choice/Pages/consultant-data.aspx), users ratings etc?

......why is there poor communication with the GPs and the community care service and why has that not been addressed in the Health White Paper? Why do the people have to pay £ 40 per 10 minute GP visit, in particular the vulnerable people such as children, disabled people, elderly and people with mental health issues who suffer because they don't access the service to deal or prevent further deterioration of their health, if they can't financially afford it? How can that be fair and caring ?

Could it be that the Health Minister has no regulatory function over GPs'  and why hasn't that been addressed in the States?

.......why do the Jersey people have to become scared to get a stroke or a debilitating illness requiring rehabilitation in the Samares Unit at Overdale Hospital, if you are poor or and have no relatives to look after you?

Could it be that the Samares Unit don't have enough staff and equipment? I just visited a dear elderly previously completely independent friend with a severe stroke  at Samares who was lying in his bed, not able to pull himself up because the bed didn't even have a bed support pull up bar, the nurses forgot several times to empty his urine bottle, had no weekly multidisciplinary meetings with the responsible consultant and therapists as a minimum requirement by the Royal College of Physicians, ....... oh no I forgot they did have a meeting without the patient and the family and yes the consultant did come in to his room for 10 minutes to talk to him when he was drugged up and drowsy. The only doctors available throughout the week was the junior doctor who just has one year postgraduate clinical experience and no rehabilitation expertise at all. On top of that the family felt they were more treated as an annoyance when they dared to ask questions regarding their loved one's care.

Is that world class care Mrs Pryke?  Is that the standard of care what you as an ex- hospice care sister would expect for your loved ones and for the people you expect to vote for you?

.....why does the hospital need an above average annual budget of £200 million despite considering that the hospital is isolated due to its location? Why aren't the figures of the budget broken down in salaries, equipment, transports etc and not in public domain like in the UK? Is the upcoming freedom of information law going to cover this and if not why not?

.....why has there been no progress to improve the whole information services which should integrate primary (GP) and secondary care ( hospital)  which are also essential for the checks and balances  and to monitor the changes of the health services which you have promoted in the States? You have acknowledged a lack of historical data and committed to improve the information services in 2012 but the scrutiny panel was disappointed that so far just little progress has been made considering this issue was identified as back as in the 1990s.

Why haven't you not addressed that vital IT issue since you have been elected as Health and Social Care minister in 2008?

Apparently 10% for the revenue budget of the hospital ( £12 million) is for the theatre and anaesthesia division for 2014, a lot of money for just one year I think, but why are waiting times so long then, where does the money go? Also 10% of the hospital budget of £200 million is £ 20 million for me where does the discrepancy of £8 million come from?

......where is the evidence that you acted on the advice of Karen McConnell, Jersey’s Comptroller and Auditor General, who says that improvements to data collection should be made a priority in order to ensure that the theatres are used effectively and with efficiency?

With long waiting lists, staff shortages and subsequent low morale, gross overspends, serious case reviews of vulnerable children failing, do you think you are the right person to seek re-election for the post of health minister?

Further interesting reading:

Hospital under fire on operating level

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2014/07/20/hospital-under-fire-on-operating-level

Health, Social Security and Housing Scrutiny Panel, The Redesign of Health and Social Services, presented to the States on 5th September 2014

http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/ScrutinyReports/2014/Report%20-%20Redesign%20of%20Health%20and%20Social%20Services%20-%205%20September%202014.pdf

Use of Management Information in the Health and Social Services Department - Operating Theatres 10 July 2014

http://www.jerseyauditoffice.je/Publications/JAO%20REPORT%20-%20Management%20Information%20in%20HSSD%20-%20Operating%20Theatres%20-%2010.07.2014.pdf

To be continued ........
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:36:59 AM by gladiator »

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 11:57:31 PM »
Gladiator

You have some very valid points and Mrs Pryke needs to answer them. 

The so-called new hospital in still on the drawing board but doomed to failure in my humble opinion as they have the daft idea to have outpatients moved to Overdale - and the operating theatres still at the General .... the logistics of having two separate hospitals, particularly as Overdale is situated up a very steep hill and patients will be obliged to have to wait for a bus or pay for a cab! 

By the way on an earlier post, Dr Rudd was congratulated for charging less for I believe children.  Dr Zoe Cameron was doing that 20 years ago at St Ouen.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 01:52:21 AM »
Should have built the new hospital at Westmount Quarry, (Owned by the Parish until sold to Dandara). Could have incorporated a direct lift service to Overdale and the Crem.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 01:57:32 AM »
I reckon they should use the park opposite the hospital, then put a walkway across the street - there are enough greens around that area now what with Jardin de Mer, peoples park and the town park - the only people who use the park seriously are the kings of the road. 

Offline Herrybraun

• Botox Leeds
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
I am agreed with your words about Anne Pryke and also my answer is yes that they letting us down. Conditions whichever but to a good minister always do good for people sake.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 11:35:47 PM »

WELCOME Herrybraun and Constables Out.

Good to see a couple of new names and no doubt some different views.

Boatyboy.