Author Topic: Constables Powers  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Constables Powers
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
Pointed out today on the Radio Phone In that the Constables have the power to ask the Queen to dissolve our government if they have a good reason to do so. Now it is easier to get rid of a Constable than a Deputy because a Parish meeting can get rid of a Constable but a Deputy can only got rid of at elections times. That is one or the main reason that they would like to get the Constables out of the States. Without the Constables they are a power unto themselves and just think what they are doing now and getting away with it, just imagine the only way to get rid of this government is to get them all voted out and that will not happen but just 12 Constables have that power and this is Jersey Law. How about that then shall we all get onto our Constables?

rogueelement

Re: Constables Powers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »
um,,,, and say what?   Constable , if you and your mates get together, approach the Queen( our duke etcetc) and ask for the SOJ to be disbanded , what will we achieve exactly? Government from Hamshire?

Constable , i know you are the father of the parish and all that, live in a nice house and all that , you have quit the farming , but still get a few bob from the states eh? So why dont you do the biz, tell the queen (our duke eh) that you are not happy, screw up the entire system , do your selves out of the £44k  and incidentally pee off 60% of the Island.
Chevalier Blank, sometimes you just have to think things through a bit more.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:59:04 PM »
I only posted what was said, i did not say i agree but think about it yes. Catch Listen Again on BBC iPLAYER. If the Constables were thrown out then you will lose the protection that they afford us with. You really need to listen, that is all i am saying.

rogueelement

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »
Sorry ? missed that?

Offline stoneface

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:21:01 AM »
I suspect this power to ask the Queen to dissolve the States only means that the legislative session ends and elections are called - not the permanent abolition of the whole system. This is essentially how a General Election is called in the UK: the PM asks the Queen to dissolve parliament.
"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it." - John Stuart Mill

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
Load of Bollocks really, just like until recently the death sentence in Jersey (who remembers that?) Never used, just there, so what Big deal.
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I