Author Topic: THE TEFLON STATES WHERE NOTHING STICKS  (Read 7759 times)

Offline imacrappaud

Re: THE TEFLON STATES WHERE NOTHING STICKS
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »
As it happens I don't think people like TLS and Ozouf are scum at all. They are intelligent and think they are doing good
Problem is they are stuck in a tunnel and their vision has narrow due to not living in the real world
I have never spoken to any of them but if I did I wouldn't be surprised to find that they actually believe what they are saying
Problem is they haven't learned to think outside the box and the circle they frequent doesn't allow them to learn this either
Shallow / Narrow minded / Inward / Straight jacked / Tunnel visioned / Unimaginative thinking
Call it what you like but all the money in the world cannot change this - Except perhaps a kick up the ars
Sad but true !      

Yeah fair response moot I was a bit innebriated and had also just received a letter stating my Itis had doubled (if it had been processed straight away it would have gone up only a percent or two) so was very angry when using the words scum that run the island. I also meant it as a generalisation not just two specific members. Like you say they are tuneel visioned and in my view what they believe is good for the island is not necessarily good for the 'people' of the island. I am Jersey born, 37 years old and in all those years i cannot really name one thing they have done that is good for me as a person of this island apart from my education.

I believe their vision of the people of the island is too ensconced in the above middle earners to the richest and the reson i believe they fall into this trap is because their salaries are well above average and many of them are rich through whatever means it doesnt matter to me but i think it leans them to forget the average punter in the street to whom the decissions they make are haveing a large effect on their day to day lives and future prospects.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 10:17:33 AM »
What i was getting at sparty is that they can loose millions of taxpayers money and no one is held accountable its a disgrace.. They hold a meeting in secret and say the matter is closed. Now that to me is says you can all bugger off and we can do as we please..

Yet when it comes to child abuse we have the chief with 2 suspensions

Simon bellwood treated like utter crap and removed

Lenny Harper treated in the same vain

Stuart Syvret removed.

But when it comes to lost millions and its our dear old such a nice chap T.Le S and Ian Black well you know thats ok because they are coated in Teflon..

Could it be that the minister in charge takes the blame but not in this case .. I  so look forward to ben shentons report.

Like i have said before i don't agree with all that stuart says but my god must of it is coming true..

People with money and power and who have a nice easy life like to keep it that way and hate people rocking the boat when they do they get called crazy or insane.. In the higher reaches of our government there is no law and order.. i believe rich protecting rich

Its very easy just to ridicule stuart very easy but when you look closely at what he is saying there is truth and thats is scary..

Im not a blind follower and like to keep an open mind

Behind closed doors what a transparent government we have

This is all about Jersey's image and keeping the fat cats happy SCREW all the rest of us
rs

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:25:08 AM by rico sorda »
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline moot

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »
This is all about Jersey's image and keeping the fat cats happy SCREW all the rest of us
rs

Rico, you summed it up in one ! Sure you remember Ole Frankie's words during Newsnight interview.......

Offline man in the street

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »
like many on this forum i too am sick and tired of the squandering and blunders.
the unhappy people of jersey are powerless to do anything about it.
(short of riot )
protest does nothing at all, only the self employed can withold taxes now as a form of protest.
 the quality of life for many is going to the dogs.
  i was listening to a couple of people talking about thier retirement, they had a plan to sell the house , rent ,spend the money and if still alive , become broke and let the states look after them.
its a great day today , which when the sun shines makes the dross and crap of life palitable.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
Bulls eye Rico. That is how it works. Even after leaving the States they put their own people in the positions that cover their ass.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 06:01:34 PM »
Rico,

Spot on - but remember Teflon is only of use until the surface is scratched and is then rendered useless.

This bunch of ministers are slowly having their veneer scratched, and because of the present economic and jobs climate a lot of people are becoming very dissatisfied with their lot, whilst the States squander money (that is in effect ours) willy-nilly, because the culprits are those who have no idea of what it is like to struggle in the real world.

This is an Island I love to hate. Love for its beauty and cleanliness and hate for the stench which emanates from the States Building.

People power is what is needed, but too few seem to want to unify.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
the public have protested and signed petitions, pleaded to the uk goverment, and nothing happened.
the unions have little power, not like the the days when the dockers could bring the island to a halt.
 when people talk of protest i often think of ghandi, what a man of vision.
sadly our politians are not of this calibre, in our history we have had some good men in the past.
sacking someone for the blunder is only symbolic , it will not get the cash back, it will only see that they are not in a position to  do it again.
ghandi said a eye for a eye only makes the whole world blind, or words to that effect.
those in power here have no eyes to what is happening to ordinary folk over here at this present time.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 12:22:12 AM »
Man in the street nice one,

You are so right, but also we are wrong the good people that work and live here. The islanders have had a very nice life, based on a strong economy. Lets get real, loads of money years ago, the Government chucks it every where. I want 20 new staff  says a States department no problem 5 years ago and in the past.

To be fair to politicians they have a mess to clear up, without CM Le Suer taxing us more to pay into a bloated, overstaffed, inefficient system which is outdated sad plan. He is old school.

As Ben Shenton says, to much money for to little work by way of shift allowances and ridiculous overtime rates, this is what the taxpayer is funding. By the way when I was younger, I was there and could not understand how they paid me so much......................... for such a basic job.

BB

debumblebee

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »
Some positions in the States are over paid there are no doubts about it, but I would imagine the next headache is that because some people have only ever worked for the States then what would they do if made redundant?  I always viewed the situation in that you could either work in the private sector or the states.  But inter-changing between the two is not as straight forward as people think and seeing as the top dollar in the private sector is either finance, legal, dentistry or other medical services, then some people that have worked in the States for many years could find themselves glued to the position whether they liked it or not.

So it is all very well having a cull but what do some people do afterwards?

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »
Very good point Debumblebee, most of the workers are office and the banks etc have all their staff but wait- with so many out of work is it possible that the banks etc would employ people on much lower wages and the worker would just be pleased to have a job. Then the unemployed would be going down to Social for the hand outs but wait there is not so much money coming in with so many out of work. Just circles, you have to have the people employed somewhere.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »
Rather mystified at how Mr Black came to Jersey as an essential employer and supplied with a large States property? could not someone LOCAL have been employed, perhaps they could have achieved the same output or in this case less.

Who appointed him and more worryingly who promoted him? I for one was rather gobsmacked when he was made treasurer.

In his defence Mr Black says the department was overworked and under staffed, then why did he decide to lead it?

The Island is supposed to be an International finance centre then why was not someone capable of International finance employed?

And Senator Ozouf was elected on a background of International finance experience as was Deputy Le Fondre......... :D :D :D :D :D

rogueelement

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 08:22:42 PM »
I think you would be very surprised at the amount of property owned by various States j cat employees, even more surprised to find that they can buy it if the price goes up, at the original price , but leave it to the quango if it does not increase in value.

Take a look at the property portfolio of various quangos over the years. not just nice little salaries, nice little property earners as well, well hidden of course, would'nt want the locals jumping to any conclusions.

Offline tetanielveste

THE TEFLON STATES WHERE NOTHING STICKS
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
Thank you so much John. I was getting a little worried with our trip approaching so quickly and not knowing where were going.  If we end up going there, Ill post to let you know how it is.