Author Topic: Goose Green  (Read 8157 times)

Offline moot

Re: Goose Green
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 06:11:07 AM »
Somehow I got this sinking feelin...

Offline Durendal

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
Let me benefit from your superior knowledge and tell me where the "missing verb" should be, please.

Only a technical point because you are being pedantic to others but your use of flooding is fragmented as it does not refer to anything - is it a verb or a noun?

Usage like that may look good on a protest banner but not if you are being totally correct.

My point in the nicest way is "people who live in glass houses"

Anyway some members including myself at times think quicker than they can type and forget to use Word by “cutting and pasting” to check their spelling.

You make some good points Norman but please do not become another Sparty!

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
Thank you folks for the rally!

Norman, if you read my general and somewhat lengthy postings, I usually check my work using the reading method taught to me in the 1960's. Now we live in the 2000's, I have used a simple word which is spelled arguably in two different ways across the globe amongst english speaking people. (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_smallest_and_most_densly_populated_north_Asian_country).

Whether this is correct or not matters not here. What you have demonstrated though is a density of mind which is worthy of a twelve-year-old. You have missed the point which, whether I agree or disagree with Goose Green development is not an issue, is that marshes can be, and frequently are drained successfully for development purposes (http://images.library.wisc.edu/WI/EFacs/USAIN/RWSDA/reference/wi.rwsda06.haver01.pdf.) Your argument very publicly asserts otherwise, which illustrates my point.

Did you know for example that the drain culver now containing bellozanne sewage plant's overflow effluent out to sea was put in position at the beginning of the last century in order to collect the various streams flooding the area, and consequently make this otherwise useless strip of land available for development. Incidentally, the strip now has on it several SSi and Bli buildings on it!

The second point is that on realising your mistake, you have focused on a side issue in a vain attempt to score a point. Childish!

I suggest that you check the facts which you write down and make sure that they are pertinant, accurate and factual, or contain some elementary humour.
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Malachi

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I live very close to Dandara's Goose Green development.

I (and a lot of other people) were concerned about the pressures that these houses/family would put on local roads and schools etc. (and still are, to be honest), but I never thought it was a bad place to build houses because of flooding issues.

As others have already explained, the houses are on the outskirts of the marsh and the risk of flooding can be mitigated with the appropriate 'works'.

The entire Perquage/Sandybrook area is prone to flooding because most of it is barely above the high high tide mark/level. You can walk from the pelican crossing between Beaumont and Bel Royal Motors all the way inland to Tesson Chapel before you encounter anything resembling a gradient.

Without the streams & culverts in the area, places like Paperclix (ex-Sandybrook Stores & Laundry etc.) and Perquage Court would be flooded several times a year (and the Sandybrook Stores area did flood regularly until they did some serious widening and re-routing of the stream that flows past it).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:04:08 PM by Malachi »

Offline Norman_Point

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »
marshes can be, and frequently are drained successfully for development purposes

Quite clearly, this one has not.

QED

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 05:39:52 PM »
Quite clearly, this one has not.

QED

Sheesh! I'm not sure what end of the town called stupidity you hail from!

QEF

Offline Norman_Point

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
OK, Gordon Brown: explain the causes of the recent flooding at Goose Green/La Marais.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 08:21:36 PM »
Normin, where the hell is La Marais??????

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »
Is this one of those word games where you have to change one letter at a time? Say, turining Les Marais into a morass?

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
OK, Gordon Brown: explain the causes of the recent flooding at Goose Green/La Marais.

Errrhhhmmm! Would the answer be WATER?, When did La Marais (wherever that is) get flooded?

I mean come on, abject stupidity aside, even though in your case Noman it just has to be some kind of social figleaf, we were just debating Goose green.

Water, well it's been around for millennia.

Draining it, well again, not a humungous problem.

Your problem is that you think that any building placed there will sink like something out of the neverending story. All I'm saying you is that I'll bet you a minpack of rice krispies that a) you are wrong and b) You'll still be wrong in 30 years while the properties being built there are enjoyed by the next generation.

So we now get down to the problem? Aha, I see, you are buying one? Nope, I didn't think so. So let's have it fair and square Numan, how will this project affect you in say 5 years time? (Not a peck methinks), What difference will it make to your life now? (A wee bit of disgruntledness, but you'll get over it). Or is there something else you wish to say?

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
Is this one of those word games where you have to change one letter at a time? Say, turining Les Marais into a morass?

Could be Forskatt, could be!! BTW what the hell is Turining?? Is it a cornish word?

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 10:30:17 PM »
Gordy, you mabee should think eeself luck I baint be givin ee the evil i, jus an extra ordinary i.

ps vote Mebyon Kernow!

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 12:39:17 AM »
Sloe Gin or nettle beer? Sounds good though Mark, can I have some?

Offline Durendal

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 04:25:53 AM »

To get the spelling right once and for all it is Le Marais

http://www.statesassembly.co.uk/documents/propositions/47371-11485-16112004.htm

Link to States paper attached

Offline Norman_Point

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 07:36:40 AM »
You make some good points Norman but please do not become another Sparty!

:o :o :oGod forbid! :o :o :o