Author Topic: Child abuse in the Channel Islands  (Read 199261 times)

Offline danrok

Re: Child abuse in the Channel Islands
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 06:06:29 AM »
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5ih0I4Uo4dwTPqv6s17biOsF-E_qQ

Jersey's deputy chief police officer, Lenny Harper, said the intelligence was unclear as to how many bodies may be found but added after finding the remains they planned to continue the search for two weeks.

I would suggest that a rough number of dead children could be gained by counting the number of reports of runaway children that were made from Haut de la Garenne that the police never found and work backwards from there. It is no surprise that we are hearing rumours that the States of Jersey police are under investigation by the UK.

That method would probably work today. Trouble is back then, no one in authority gave a damn about such children. Do any written "runaway child" reports even exist? I have my doubts.

I'd imagine that the reports of runaways, they refer to, could be recent reports made by the people who lived there when they were children. They may be recollecting occasions when other children had apparently runaway, but felt that may not have been the truth, and I don't suppose anyone cared to hear their concerns at the time. After all, in the 60's and 70's, society would have considered these children to be little more than worthless - the offspring of young single mothers, drunken sailors, etc.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 06:53:27 AM »
I don't think we know all the facts yet, but, evidence so far, start digging up a care home 22 years after it is closed?

Somebody alive obviously knows something.

Offline danrok

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 02:52:20 PM »
More recently a social worker from Britain was sacked after revealing that confinement was being used in a Jersey children’s home in 2006.

Only last year! Walker claimed that all this had stopped, long ago.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article3428019.ece

Offline futuatcher

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
I was reminded by a BBC piece that bones were found at Haut de la Garenne not too long ago, but that the pathologist deemed them to be animal. There seems to be many previous missed opportunities to expose institutionalised child abuse, and indeed there are present instances of an attempt to cover up (regarding confinement) with the sacking of whistle-blowers. That was a minor story over here, even with the comments from Lord Carlyle from the Howard League for Penal Reform and community care workers.

We need the spotlight of the national media, outside journalists might be able to do their proper jobs and tell us news. did anyone else notice the sloppy journalism from our local BBC reporters? no mention of the one arrest in the historic abuse case, the Holland case, alleged recent abuse etc..

corkie

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »
i heard some scary stories about that place, children were mentally and physically abused while they were
there and that they lived in filth and that place was unclean,
if that was the case the poor kids that were there were havin a hard enough time b4 they went in there and it didnt improve while they were there.

It all doesnt bare thinking about really!!!!

Offline voiceforchildren

• voiceforchildren
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »
Unfortunaley it appears those that died were the lucky ones.
An alternative to Jersey's State Media

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »
Haut de la Garenne body/bodies could date from the Occupation:

http://www5.channelonline.tv/news/templates/jerseynews2.aspx?articleid=13501&zoneid=1

I know, I saw it this morning, but if people have known about bodies for so long, why spill the beans now?  It doesn't add up, the occupation finished over 60 years ago.

AHITS

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 06:45:49 PM »
I see Channel 4 News just gave Frank Walker a bit of a whipping. A short live interview where he spent most of his time talking over the interviewer to deny allegations of a cover-up....and finding the time to mention the UK Police were working here without being held to a budget. Is there a time when that man's mind is not focused on money?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:49:20 PM by AHITS »

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »
It is now time to demand a change in Government.  We deserve better than this we really do.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
Chief Minister to visit Haut de la Garenne

Jersey's Chief Minister Senator Frank Walker will be visiting Haut de la Garenne this morning to meet senior Police officers.

A Council of Ministers meeting has been called for 2pm this afternoon at Cyril Le Marquand House to discuss the ongoing police enquiry into historic child abuse and to ensure Ministers do everything they can to support the police in their investigation.

They should also be discussing how they intend to make a full public apology to Senator Stuart Syvret.

AHITS

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 06:55:55 PM »
I have a feeling the Cyril Le Marquand House discussion will revolve more around damage limitation than anything else.

Offline JACKSBACK

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »
Jersey's Chief Minister Senator Frank Walker will be visiting Haut de la Garenne this morning to meet senior Police officers.

Lets hope they haven't filled the hole in yet.
Vote the JDA

Offline voiceforchildren

• voiceforchildren
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 07:00:28 PM »
Chief Minister to visit Haut de la Garenne

A Council of Ministers meeting has been called for 2pm this afternoon at Cyril Le Marquand House to discuss the ongoing police enquiry into historic child abuse and to ensure Ministers do everything they can to support the police in their investigation.

They should also be discussing how they intend to make a full public apology to Senator Stuart Syvret.

Along with the historic abuse I believe they should be looking at any current abuse that might be going on or being covered up. They could start with putting an independent complaints committee in place of the "in house" one presently employed by the Education Department.

Has any local journalist suggested to Frank Walker that a public apology might be in order for Senator Syvret?
An alternative to Jersey's State Media

AHITS

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
Has any local journalist suggested to Frank Walker that a public apology might be in order for Senator Syvret?

I doubt any local journalist would make such a suggestion, unless an apology could somehow shine a better light on Walker.

Looking at Walker's current style of play, it's all systems go with complete denial of responsibilty. So any apology would directly oppose the few statements he's recently made regarding this issue.....but then again, do you think committing an act of hypocrisy would really be a problem for Frank?

Offline danrok

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 09:40:03 PM »
How Walker can stand there and say that there has been no cover ups, is beyond me.

I've known about the abuse which took place there, for about 20 years now, although I didn't know the extent of it, or whether or not it had ever been investigated. Many other ordinary local people also had prior knowledge.

There is no way that anyone in authority could have been completely unaware of what has gone in. Previous employees working in child care have raised concerns over the last few decades, I know this for a fact.

Yet, nothing has ever been done.

If this isn't some form of cover-up, I don't know what is.