Author Topic: The Cultural Strategy 2005  (Read 23137 times)

Offline Dundee

Re: The Cultural Strategy 2005
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2011, 04:26:45 AM »
My  partner and  I had a discussion  about culture  a while back and as you are very interested in this subject Dundee I can confirm so are we, all be it that you may like one area of culture and us another.

So we are on the same side, this also possibly goes someway to my understanding that you want  Sir Phillip Bailhache to become CM, this is certainly not my wish.

The problems I have can be summed up almost in two sentences.  " Heritage trust "  miss-management of resources. The second is the saying  “nice but not needed “  which is at epidemic levels in Jersey.

Sir Phillip if  elected may be invited to speak at the  culture conference 10 October 2011.
He is on record as saying that the " Jersey Heritage Trust " different entirely to Jersey’s Heritage were doing a fantastic job and deserve all the extra money they have been given by the Education and culture depart.

BB

Having a broad and varied interest and activity in culture, so I am not sure how you come to your presumption on my tastes other than you approach matters with a blinkered and closed mind.

What a shame you did not hear or were aware of Sir Philip's speech on culture yesterday evening, the audience and myself (judging by the applause) thought this was one of the better speeches of the night. He did raise the issue of managing the spending of JHT, but also highlighted some of Jersey's current iconic heritage sites, which is something I am current involved in and I can say although it maybe not of mainstream interest we are doing some work of international importance and interest.

I have few qualms about JHT competing with commercial interests, what I do think wrong is the JHT with a large budget from the public purse competes outside of their remit with charities and organizations to their detriment as they do not have the budget or infrastructure to compete, I did raise the issue with the competition authority and you may not be surprised to learn that no action was taken, yet the auditor general confirmed my concerns.

Deputy Reed has dome nothing other than play second fiddle to the JHT and the cultural civil servants, the sooner he goes the better. 

Offline Dundee

« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2011, 05:02:26 AM »
http://www.philipbailhache.je/hustings-speeches/st-lawrence-11-october-2011/

The speech is published above:
St Lawrence – 11 October 2011

I am standing for election because I want to see reform of the constitution of the States and an end to the bickering and time-wasting that disfigure our parliamentary assembly and have caused it to sink low in public esteem. The chaos in the States is the cause of much poor governmental performance. My stance on these and other issues can be found in my manifesto, which I hope that you may find time to read. I have spoken about States reform at the St Clement and St Peter hustings and those speeches are on my website. This evening, however, I want to talk about sport, arts and heritage.

My support of the arts may be better known than my support of sport and heritage. I was one of those who brought about the creation of the Jersey Arts Centre in 1983 and I have argued for the establishment of a National Gallery of Jersey. But I am also a keen sportsman at heart. I played football at school and university and captained the Oxford fives team, and later played golf. Now I am reduced to swimming up and down the pool on the Waterfront but in spirit I am out there with all the extraordinarily talented sportsmen and women that we have in Jersey. It is amazing that we can produce so much world-class talent in the Island – a gold medal in the Commonwealth Games and other terrific performances for shooting and for swimming. In other sporting fields Graeme Le Saux, Becky Herbert, Elizabeth Cann, and Tommy Horton are all homegrown national stars. And in the arts we have, amongst others, the cellist Gerard Le Feuvre, the singer Nerina Pallot, and the poet Jeremy Reed.

On the heritage front, we have a world famous Palaeolithic site at La Cotte, a splendid Neolithic passage grave at La Hougue Bie, a magnificent medieval castle, an Elizabethan fortress, Napoleonic towers, a huge range of 20th century fortifications and many other important sites, including the rural museum at Hamptonne. All in 45 square miles.

All these areas deserve the financial support and enthusiasm of the States. It was shameful that the Jersey Museum was forced to close last winter. It was open all through the German occupation, but not last winter. We ought to do better than that. Of course there is a balance to be struck between supporting the arts, sport and heritage, and protecting the public purse, but the value to the Island of all these activities should not be underestimated. The recent Jersey marathon was an inspirational event. These things make the difference between existing on a sterile rock and living in a vibrant and exciting community. It is not just for the performers. All those who work behind the scenes, the trainers, supporters, the camp followers and audiences, all benefit from government investment in sport and culture. We are told that the Island’s heritage is the great attraction for most visitors to Jersey. If we can add value in the arts and in sport, the economic benefits from tourism could be multiplied, and all of us could have a lot more fun too.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
Pray!  Tell me!  Was this speech written on the road to Damascus!

Yawn!

Cali :'(
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
Oh!  Where is my national gallery please. That is phil's battle cry.
Talk about the occupation we had a fine Bailiff then thought about the people not how to screw people in the ground who speak the truth.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »
Oh!  Where is my national gallery please. That is phil's battle cry.
Talk about the occupation we had a fine Bailiff then thought about the people not how to screw people in the ground who speak the truth.

I think even he has seen the folly of a gallery in the current economic climate.

Offline JRCbean

« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »
"I think even he has seen the folly of a gallery in the current economic climate."

Temporarily maybe.  Mark my words this idea will be resurected should he get in.

ole razzy

« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
You cant have a national gallery if you are not a nation state. Its silly. Self addrandising and loaded with pomposity. This same can be said for our 'national anthem' and our 'national park'. These concepts are not within the fabric of our community, they do not emanate from a social or cultural desire to show a distinct sense of pride in our environment or society as a whole. They are political concepts that are being played out in the public domain to soften up the plebs for the day the great and the good decide that independence is the only option. Its pathetic.

But I do very much like the idea of an art gallery in Jersey. Sorry to go against the grain. Just not a national one packed with all the shite that the JHT keep in storage at the Francis Cook Gallery. Have an institute of contemporary art, have something that has a pulse, that deals in the currency of ideas. Not this monolithic and pedestrian lump which says more about the person wanting it then the community it should seek to engage and enliven.

Offline JRCbean

« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »
Razzy whether you call it a "national gallery" or the "island gallery" or probaby more likely the "Bailhache gallery" doesn't really matter.  I agree with you though the word national could be being used as an attempt to soften public opinion to this concept.   

Now that person with you in your picture thats what I call art.  I coudl look at that all day. No not the pimp in the fur coat!

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
Let this little girl speak for all the little kids who were let down due to bad decisions or management - worldwide and in this septic little isle:

This little kid has more sense in her index finger than most judges around today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uYpn_mNB5E&feature=share

Cali  >:( >:( >:( >:(

TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2011, 11:09:43 PM »
We have the Cook Gallery.

ole razzy

« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »
Nobody goes. It's hardly ever open. There is a funny covenant which states it must be open to the public for a set amout of days each year but I think the JHT get round this by letting local artists use the space for studio practice. There is also storage facilities. The building is awful. Francis Cook's art is dreadful. Check out his insane blue biro nude drawings if you ever get the chance! The whole project is a basket case. If I was Philip Bailhache I'd magic up some ancient feudal law which could break the covenants and sell the building and surrounding land for a few million and kick start a fund raising campaign for a purpose built facility. And if I was him I'd stick a million of my my own money in just to show serious I was about the representation of our visual culture. He wont do that of course.

Alternatively just use the whole of the existing Jersey Museum. Huge saving. Ditch the rubber dummies of neaderthal man (could come in handy on the constables benches if the chambers not quorate) and send the static displays to the other sites.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
never seen  the cook gallery, where is it?
 to keep the climate inside  a gallery is not cheap and the running costs  of the equipment is on going .
 365 days a year and needs to be looked after  at least every 4 to 6 months minimum.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »

Another little cut in funding, but for a concerned group, an important and needed service.

Jep

Mothers to be, have complained about the recent cancelling of many pre-natal classes.

End

Then we suffer a whole list  problems including the Hospital issues and yet Sir Phillip is concerned that Jersey Heritage Trust are not given enough support ( for support read money ) Dundee informs us,

Quote from Sir Phillip,

All these areas deserve the financial support and enthusiasm of the States. It was shameful that the Jersey Museum was forced to close last winter.
so

In the recent past over £3 million was spent on Gorey Castle, which took an incredibly long time to complete. St James scaffolding is costing taxpayers £15,000 a year and has become a landmark stuck in time. £600,000 to buy out the Duwk's a small fortune in restoring holiday accommodation that no one in their right mind would invest in to make some money. Also competing with private hotels that do pay taxes.

The Radio Tower Set on a cliff top overlooking Corbière lighthouse on Jersey’s south-west tip, the Radio Tower is a striking observation tower built during the Second World War. Restored in the German modernist Bauhaus style,

End

The costing's of the work involved as one politician told me were scribbled on a small notepad and then given the green light. Does anyone have a clue as to how much it really cost being a modernist five star Bauhaus style no expense spared restoration. There are many others.

Sir Phillip mentions financial support, but should not that financial support be reasonable and enough to at least make sure that the islands wonderful Heritage is maintained to a decent but not extravagant level, and in these austere times the tax pound is treated with much care. Maybe he can tell us how much the radio tower's first class no expense restoration cost actually cost, as no-one else seems to know.

Jersey does have a wonderful Heritage both in buildings and character, but the way he views spending from public purse is indeed worrying.

Even the Jersey Heritage Trust who have to their credit, become more business like and efficient, closing the museum for the winter due to poor foot fall, is exactly the thing to do, in order to keep the all important public support.

Sir Phillip may get elected and then the money increases to JHT from the £2.3 million grant it now receives. Then other projects under the culture banner are brought forward.

No doubt Sir Phillip can pop around to all the disenfranchised groups and explain why their funding is being cut, but new finance is available for his historic interests.

http://www.jerseyheritage.org/heritage-holiday-lets

BB