Author Topic: is BBC Radio reporting fairly?  (Read 18689 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
is BBC Radio reporting fairly?
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »
Normally admins and mods don't get involved in discussions too much on the forum, but as I was blind cc'd a copy of an email I believe has gone to ofcom, and due to the fact that I don't often get the chance to listen to BBC radio, I decided that it was in the interest of the users of the forum to also see the email, with of course the details of who sent it removed, so that you could voice your opinion and decide if it is true or not. I am sure there are viewers who do listen to the radio more often than I get the chance to and can confirm/deny this.

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am sorry to bother you, but another important public interest story has come to light through the local media in Jersey. The terribly sad death of a hospital nurse who went in for a routine operation, and died on the operating table, has just been heard in court, with the court concluding its deliberations. Jersey has only one Hospital and it seems an extended cover up took place.

The reason for this complaint is that the Jersey BBC ( supported with £3 billion of licence fee money ) has decided so far not to report. This is clearly against the public interest.

I would like to add that their reporting generally is uninspiring, and I believe not fulfilling the important role that is expected of such an established well known organisation. This latest hospital story, is serious and relevant.

We are a small island with one newspaper one TV station and two radio stations the giant in this media group is the BBC. One would hope that you are able to get them to properly address their lack lustre and empty news reporting programmes.

Thank You.

remember if you believe this is correct, don't just leave a message, do what the email sender has done and send it to the relevant authoriity. If you disagree with it, post on here and we will inform ofcom that the majority (if it is the case) disagree with the post.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/

Cheers

Offline danrok

Re: is BBC Radio reporting fairly?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
I don't listen to BBC Jersey radio.  But, if the news on their website is anything to go by, then it must be pretty dire.

The news on their website has more in common with a village noticeboard, than actual news reports.  Hard to believe someone is getting paid to look after that!

"Please tell us what you think about the snow..."

Since when was chatting about snow, a profession?

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »
I listen to bbc jersey most days well only the news and the phone in and to be fair and this is  my opinion......As a real news station They are completely bloody SH*T.. Now i listen to the phone in because for an hour a day it makes me laugh and i like that. I can Handle roger bara but those other presenter idiots do my head in..

But lets not forget jersey media is a village media it was never ment to be at the cutting edge of investigative journalism.... Thats why its dying on its ass in this current climate so much going giving us so very little.... Its one of the reasons the abuse scandal was able to be covered up & lets not forget its only the jep that has covered the shocking hospital scandal... ??? ???

im sick of it now  >:( >:(

rs

one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:42:12 PM »
Just been listning to bbc phone in and i thought old mod-1 or is it jtm came across well.. nice job  ;D ;D

Offline Ashley

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
I think the news is reported fairly enough.  Plus they have phone-ins, where people can address whatever issues that choose to, which is more than most stations offer. 

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »
I think the news is reported fairly enough.  Plus they have phone-ins, where people can address whatever issues that choose to, which is more than most stations offer. 

Ashley are you sure dude..

rs

Offline Ashley

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
Yeah I reckon.

One thing I will say about BBC Jersey's news is that it always seems to be a lighthearted, middle of the road affair.   They broadcast the basic news every half an hour and it's short but sweet. 

The BBC as an entire corporation pride themselves on providing one of the best news services going. I really can't believe that locally they have a seperate agenda to the rest of the beeb. 

It's more of a case that they have a small team and rely on other sources for the bulk of their output.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »

Ashley you a right, I agree, its light short sweet, and the small team rely on other sources for the bulk of their output.

Could not have put it better, except for the fact that news can and is often very serious also very important. A good responcible news team in a small society can by its quality of reporting, give meaning to accountability and esteem for the journalistic profession.

BB

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »
Maybe the,"Small local team", know only too well the ,"Local",(personal), consequences of knocking someone in authority,s nose out of joint?

Offline Ashley

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:18:45 AM »
Maybe the,"Small local team", know only too well the ,"Local",(personal), consequences of knocking someone in authority,s nose out of joint?

I think everyone over here with an ounce of sense tows the line. 

However, wasn't it BBC radio Jersey who broke the story about the chief of police's sacking?  I think people will find it was.

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:47:06 PM »
yeah it was mathew price bumped into him in town and mr power asked if he could release a statement so they walked round to the studio and that was that.... Only in jersey

rs

Offline Eastern correspondent

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »
I listen fairly regularly to Radio Jersey - usually between 7 and 9 and 12 and 1, rather than reporting fairly on contentious issues I find they skirt around them and focus more on the mundane for fear of breaking some BBC rule or other I guess!

The Phone In and Talk Back programmes do give people an opportunity to raise issues, however the daily contributors to the Phone In consist of on average five or six respondents who have very one dimensional views, the Phone In handles broader issues  is more focused and has a wider range of contributors.

Roger Bara is the most professional broadcaster and attempts to provide balance broadasting, to conclude what they broadcast is fair but they duck real issues!

Offline White Knight

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 08:05:24 PM »
Well sorry to disappoint but i like bbc radio. Yes the phone in should limit that veg eating annoying womanand the guy nwho i believe is half a vicar. The sunday phone in talk show is to peaceful, it needs really different views from the guests to make it more listenable. I do like the women who reads the bbc news on tv, Gwen? Now that is some woman!!!!

ole razzy

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 08:11:43 PM »
Roger bara's pretty hot too. And he plays the piano.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »
The Roger Barra show in my opinion is a waste of airtime, i have listened a few times when radio one etc are playing the same old pop tunes and its almost the same as that. The only difference is that its that same old people phoning in, its that bad its like he knows them all personally. All he does when someone voices their opinion is mediate it so that he sits on the fence. Whilst I can the position he is in, i think it makes for completely boring listening. But thats my opiinion of the few times i have bothered to listen.