Author Topic: Barclay Brothers throwing toys out of their prams  (Read 5906 times)

Offline danrok

Barclay Brothers throwing toys out of their prams
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:53:29 PM »
The irony!  They didn't get the "democracy" they wanted, so they put 100 people out of a job as some kind of punishment.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/guernsey/7778245.stm

Who would want a billionaire as a neighbour?

The sooner they build homes for the rich on Mars, the better.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:04:21 PM by danrok »

Offline shaun the sheep

Re: Barclay Brothers throwing toys out of their prams
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:21:32 AM »
Sir David and Sir Frederick want radical electoral reforms on Sark and object to the hereditary posts of seigneur and seneschal remainig

The people of Sark are reaping what they sowed... they only have themselves to blame.

AND I LOVE THIS BIT.

Advocate Gordon Dawes, who represents the Barclays, said that he was not entirely surprised that some Barclay-owned interests had been closed down on Sark.

"The people of Sark are reaping what they sowed the day before," he said.

"They only have themselves to blame. They could have co-operated with Barclays Investment but they chose to obstruct it.

I hope they lose their Knighthood, They bloody deserve too,
IT JUST MAKES ME SO MAD, Bloody money again.

T.      (Jersey)

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:41:40 AM »
Erm... Is this not a classic case of what might happen in Jersey or Guernsey when the whingers take over.

The monied will only put up with so much before they up sticks and leave the Islanders to it. As attractive as that may sound to a lot of people, the reality is, as can be seen in Sark, pain.

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »
The irony!  They didn't get the "democracy" they wanted, so they put 100 people out of a job as some kind of punishment.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/guernsey/7778245.stm

Who would want a billionaire as a neighbour?

The sooner they build homes for the rich on Mars, the better.

The irony is that there's a lot of people on here who threaten to leave the Island because they are fed up with traditions like the Bailiff sitting in the States, and an "old school" running the shop. Well, isn't this effectively what Sark voted to keep? I don't understand why people are moaning at the BBs for voting with their feet. Is it because they can afford to do so?

Offline danrok

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:07:04 AM »
The irony is that there's a lot of people on here who threaten to leave the Island because they are fed up with traditions like the Bailiff sitting in the States, and an "old school" running the shop. Well, isn't this effectively what Sark voted to keep? I don't understand why people are moaning at the BBs for voting with their feet. Is it because they can afford to do so?

The point is that they got to vote for what they wanted, which is democratic.  There's nothing democratic about what the Barclay brothers have done, buying power is not at all democratic.

What actual difference does it make to their lives anyhow, when they have all that money they can live how ever they like without interfering in other peoples lives.  Just two little boys playing a childish game with bad consequences for ordinary people, same old story.

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 09:15:21 AM »
The point is that they got to vote for what they wanted, which is democratic.  There's nothing democratic about what the Barclay brothers have done, buying power is not at all democratic.

What actual difference does it make to their lives anyhow, when they have all that money they can live how ever they like without interfering in other peoples lives.  Just two little boys playing a childish game with bad consequences for ordinary people, same old story.

You've got to be realistic though. All countries need to attract investment, its as simple as that. Some places would be falling over themeselves to attract that kind of injection of cash into their community, let alone a tiny standalone like Sark.

I stand by my point that there's loads of people in Jersey who threaten to do the same everytime we get another "old boy" story from the States. Like it or not, the Barclays Brothers' way of thinking is probably more aligned with a lot of the people who like to think themselves PJ revolutionaries that you think.

Offline David Rotherham

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 07:44:32 PM »
It is the Barclays' hypocrisy that really annoys me. They spend years campaigning against feudalism, when it turns out that they just wanted a new feudalism with themselves as barons, all along.
Of course, as well as being disgusted with them, I am deeply sorry for the plight of the poor Sercquois, who, by refusing to sell their communal soul face ruin instead. If anyone with an appropriate background in charity work wants to get a relief fund together, I will pledge a day's wages, and suggest anyone else with even half a conscience does, too.

Offline danrok

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 08:34:27 PM »
It is the Barclays' hypocrisy that really annoys me. They spend years campaigning against feudalism, when it turns out that they just wanted a new feudalism with themselves as barons, all along.
Of course, as well as being disgusted with them, I am deeply sorry for the plight of the poor Sercquois, who, by refusing to sell their communal soul face ruin instead. If anyone with an appropriate background in charity work wants to get a relief fund together, I will pledge a day's wages, and suggest anyone else with even half a conscience does, too.

There is a charity fund here already:
http://www.appeal.gg/appeal.aspx?appealid=42

Offline David Rotherham

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »
Thanks, Danrok. Done.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 06:30:18 PM »
Sark should never have allowed itself to become so dependent on those wierd characters in my opinion.
What will Jersey do when the banks decide to, "Throw their toys out of the pram"?

Offline danrok

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 08:22:50 PM »
I think there is potential for the people of Sark to come out on top, in the long run.  They've had some pretty amazing global publicity, I can imagine those hotels and businesses not own by the Barclays will do well next season.

But, they really need to give this pair the heave-ho, perhaps force them to sell their Sark properties and businesses to other people.  People who have good intentions, and just want to earn an honest living.

Will be interesting to see where this ends up.  Good luck to the Sarkees!

Offline Lieve

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 01:41:28 AM »
Sark should never have allowed itself to become so dependent on those wierd characters in my opinion.
What will Jersey do when the banks decide to, "Throw their toys out of the pram"?

(Wow, I didn't think I would ever agree with you, Fritz, but I do now - or at least to some extent !)

That is exactly why we feel "Jersey should never have allowed itself to become" so dependent on the finance industry ! I paraphrase you, but immediately want to correct you, though ... It is not the Sark and Jersey people that allowed themselves to become so dependent; it is the ruling class that allowed it.

I do believe a lot of people truly thought the Barclay brothers were philanthropists, that's how they have been pictured all along. I seriously doubted their motives were that altruistic and, unfortunately, their actions now clearly show that their "philanthropy" had nothing do to with love and sympathy for the common man!

It is the very same ambiguity we have here in Jersey. Of course, we should be grateful for the finance industry and the rich providing so many of us with jobs and an income. However, many of us pay a very big price for it - both literally and metaphorically - and it just leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth, to be honest !

fryertucker

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
A terrible situation to be in, but I don't agree with the idea of giving Sark money from Jersey.  Sark may have itself to blame a little here, after all they allowed the Barclay brothers to come into their little niche and take a strangle hold.

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
Perhaps Sark should pass an inheritance tax with a high enough threshold to catch the Barclays without seriously effecting anyone else.

It would be very difficult for the Barclays to argue against an inheritance tax that is threshold related, as after all that is perfectly acceptable tax practice in the UK.

Then they could know what it is like to have a sword hanging over their heads!

fryertucker

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 05:48:09 PM »
IHT would be a good idea, but I think Sark comes under the same fiscal policy as Guernsey so that will never be passed.

What amazes me is that I heard a few times today that people are collecting money for Sarkies.  I would hardy regard a person that can afford to live in Sark (only 400) as poor would you?