Author Topic: Police Chief Suspended  (Read 118005 times)

Offline The Rev Peter Sarkey

• Diocese of St Swithins
Re: Police Chief Suspended
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 11:28:41 AM »
Actually, my spies in the inner sanctum of our very own spooks department have telephoned me this morning with news that there has been a swift decision in choosing a replacement for Graham Power. The individual has been chosen from a US state Police force and is currently being briefed in Jersey Law. His name is Chief Officer Eugene Ore, he has a reputation of dealing with uncomfortable situations and also carries out every instruction he is briefed on. His integrity is unmatched, decision making computable and judging by his resume, I think he will make the greatest Police Chief since "hang em" Parkinson that we have seen to date.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2004-03-01-big-jim-robocop_x.htm
"That's not in the effing good book!"

Offline danrok

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »
I know it is not very PC of me , but perhaps the reason for the suspension is that the chief officer allowed this island to spend £7million to establish that the Victorians were indeed quite fond of Coconut.
In the meantime the name of the Island was dragged through the mud by the concerted leaking of rumour to the scum press. And if you think no damage was done , you obviously do not travel to the UK very often.I became quite sick of defending the rock against the pedophile reputation engendered by the police , for the police, by which i mean , the travel fest , the overnighting at hotels , the 1st class flights , the huge amount of overtime etcetcetc  for what? a bunch of bloody coconuts!!
Lenny Harper may well have been an excellent copper once , but I think with retirement looming he started looking to the future , the book , the tv interviews, his place in the media circus.
Well i hope the book comes out pretty soon , I have a suspicion it will be available at Pound World in the very near future.
The Chief Officer had the responsibility to ensure that an orderly investigation was carried out , resulting in evidence ,if any, of wrongdoing. It was his job to keep the lid on things until arrests could be made , instead of which he allowed his minions the freedom to destroy the good name of this Island by their posturing, posing ,and in some cases feeding the media frenzy.
The Buck Stops Here is what it is called , he screwed up , he has to go.

Perhaps his methods were a bit maverick?

However, consider that cases similar to this one, elsewhere in the UK, have never resulted in much success.  Is it surprising that he might go about things in a different way, in the hope of having more success?

I think we all know that under the circumstances, the chances of  bring a load of people to justice were always very thin.

rogueelement

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
With Regard to the 160 cases , dare we presume that all of these people have given a statement to the police, that the police are sifting through the evidence in an orderly fashion, are interviewing witnesses and doing what any police force should be doing , amassing evidence and obtaining sufficient evidence to bring about a conviction??
I know thats not the same as being in the News of the Screws every week but it is the proper way to continue.

Razzard

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »
When the story broke on the world stage TV crews decended upon Jersey. As the story developed some were moved on and those that decided to stay had to, primarily for budgetary reasons, use local production companies and freelancers as and when required.

Soon documentary makers from international broadcasters moved in and started to take a longer and more in depth view of the background and through their working relationship with the local boys got access to many of the victims. So far as I know those that argreed to come on camera had already given statements to the Police.

Hours of footage exists of people giving detailed accounts of how, why, where and when they were abused and by whom. For those crews listening to this harrowing testimony it was pretty traumatic and I know of one person who needed to take some time out after as it had effected him quite badly.

I mention this for a number of reasons. Firstly there a several documentaries that are going to be aired once the whole thing has run its course which will not put Jersey's international reputation in a good light. The raw footage is just too painful. Secondly the police may well be amassing evidence in an orderly fashion but god it is taking a long time to prosecute when much of what is already on tape is cut and dried.

I watched yesterday's press briefings with interest because I wondered if the 'establishment' were trying to bring some closure to this sorry tale, and I freely admit I don't know if that's true, then its going to come back and bite them on the ass. Lets hope for everybody's sake that they are not and that the victims will get the justice they so rightly deserve and sooner rather than later.

Offline Durendal

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 06:49:42 PM »
I mention this for a number of reasons. Firstly there a several documentaries that are going to be aired once the whole thing has run its course which will not put Jersey's international reputation in a good light. The raw footage is just too painful. Secondly the police may well be amassing evidence in an orderly fashion but god it is taking a long time to prosecute when much of what is already on tape is cut and dried.

Cut and Dried?

First they will have to decide which are the victims (if any) who is a plausible witness and which "victims" have false memory syndrome.

Unfortunately the mass hysteria generated will have caused some people to remeber things which may not have happened.

Before you start saying how cruel I am this will probably have happened and the people are not lying as such just their perceptions are incorrect.

Razzard

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 07:13:03 PM »
Cut and Dried?

First they will have to decide which are the victims (if any) who is a plausible witness and which "victims" have false memory syndrome.

Unfortunately the mass hysteria generated will have caused some people to remeber things which may not have happened.

Before you start saying how cruel I am this will probably have happened and the people are not lying as such just their perceptions are incorrect.

I don't think what you said was cruel at all. I'm sure there's some truth in it. And I'm no expert on the way the human memory works, first to admit that.

But I do believe that a person instinctively knows when another is telling the truth or not and I can assure you there were plenty of times when the cameras had to be turned off whilst people gatherd themselves together in order to go on. There was no false memory syndrome that could be detected so far as I could tell. Just a whole load of pain, guilt and the wreck of a life trying to make sense of what's happened to them. If these people are given a chance to tell their stories in a court room then I think the outcome will be academic.

But I do accept that this is just my opinion and that I may be wrong.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 07:23:10 PM »
Minister sacked
Minister resigns
Top Cop retires
Topper Cop gets suspended
New Top Cop says, "Move along, there,s nothing to see".

The N.O.T.W. will make nothing of this. LOL.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »
Im still in the dark here lol ,i have looked and looked and looked again and still cant find any hard facts from yesterday did they have any..
Its just starting to look like a great big pr stunt it really is..
We all want to think that the evidence comes down on our side but if you take a step back take a neutrals look at it you will see it was a day full of nothing..

Now graham power that is going to be a very interesting story, that might just be the big cock up..

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline iruka

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 07:55:50 PM »
Im still in the dark here lol ,i have looked and looked and looked again and still cant find any hard facts from yesterday did they have any..
Its just starting to look like a great big pr stunt it really is..
We all want to think that the evidence comes down on our side but if you take a step back take a neutrals look at it you will see it was a day full of nothing..

Now graham power that is going to be a very interesting story, that might just be the big cock up..

rs

What do you want? Do you want them to hand all the samples over to you so you can examine them? Would you know what you were doing? Can you not accept that at some point the hard evidence will have to be presented to a court, subject to cross examination?

I find it really really sad that people so readily accept stories of gore and horror without wishing to "find any hard facts", yet when the police say, "nothing to see, move along" those same people seem to feel cheated and scream "cover up".

Offline danrok

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 08:19:11 PM »
iruka - do you not think what's going on right now is a PR stunt?

Nothing new has been reported, there never was any actual evidence of murder, we've known this all along.

The chances of them finding enough evidence to prove any murder is close to zero, we've know this for a long time as well.

But, there has always been good enough reason for them to search for evidence.  Where would be if they simply hadn't bothered to look?

It's unfortunate that the nature of the place meant that the search was long, tedious and expensive.  But, the police are not to blame for that.

Let's not lose sight of who the real bad guys are here - the abusers and those who could have but didn't do anything to stop them.

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 08:29:16 PM »
Iruka..

What the hell are you going on about im not pro or anti harper..

I would like to see some justice but i try to take a neutral view..like i said, yesterday what was that all about they just gave a different opinion thats all, now all the anti harper people have gone great that will do us..
All we have are two sides of a story..

But lenny harper and his team have done all the hard work and its that hard work that two policeman sitting on there backsides have used to slag him..

Would warcup just have walked into hdelag looked under the carpet and walked out again..think about it..

But most of all do not forget about the abuse victims and what the told lenny harper and his team..

just keep an open mind

no murders great
no abuse great

lets just wait and see

Offline rico sorda

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »
Oh and ben shenton in the rag tonight always one step forward 4 backwards with this man ..

He is now giving it the big i told you so bit ..again i say just a different opinion why do these elected loons keep opening there mouths without engaging the brain..

scary.
rs

Offline iruka

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 06:04:38 AM »
Iruka..
What the hell are you going on about im not pro or anti harper..

You appeared to be demanding hard evidence now.

... have looked and looked and looked again and still cant find any hard facts from yesterday did they have any..

My point was that you are not going to get it. The police don't need to convince you - they need to convince prosecutors, judge and jury, and therefore they are not going to expose the hard evidence now as it would be prejudicial.

Offline more

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »
 Having heard the early morning news on the Howard report on the findings on sending children to prison and care homes in general, That Jersey rates 80 per cent higher above 20 per cent in the U.K.In finding so many faults  here.Admittely we can learn some. Praise was given to our own homegrown Island's Parish hall system. Which has been good in disiplining youngsters in most and many cases.Saving a crimanal record for their future. Can we not go one step further using curfew in curtailing bad behavior.Parents held responsible .In taking these, our decisions as an Island ourselves?
   We see too many rules applied by following the U.K. Unaccountable as seen below. Children killing each other,Violence, Drug dealing.Out of control.
   Why, then  when we see that no one is accountable in admin  in the U.K. In Departments here same applies.Or not known to lose their jobs either.     
   Even when proven neglect or found not fit for purpose, It is sickening yet again to see a head of Department U.K on T.V.The neglect in getting away with an apology on another appalling case in Haringey U.K Of total child neglect and suffering mostly of its life of a !7 month old child. This not being the first child from this Dept making it in media headlines so soon.
 Why then are we continually following the rules from a country that have no teeth in ruling its own.For children left completley to their own devices and not taught dicipline or selfcontrol  along with kindness.Growing up, not knowing any better by doing this for themselves.School,along with parent control where ever nessary should be in charge. As shown in other in other countries. Uk having the worse record as it is, is hardly likely to be the influence needed. Looks like Pot calling Kettle black at the moment.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2008, 01:17:08 PM »
Jersey's suspended police chief was under "day-to-day" political pressure, the former head of the investigation into child abuse allegations has said.

Lenny Harper said Jersey's Chief Officer Graham Power battled for three years against political interference.

E-mailed by a friend abroad. Report from BBC Europe big players.

Is this another own goal for Jersey ?

Its an interesting article, please click on Hyperlink below for full story.

http://Http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/7726450.stm

BB
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:19:54 PM by boatyboy »