Author Topic: Time for the Constables  (Read 6039 times)

Offline churchill

Re: Time for the Constables
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
It should never have got to this situation . I'm sure you would agree this should have been dealt with years ago and not when we are in a situation were the incinerator is failing daily .Polluting our environment .Where at tremendous expense to the tax payer we are faced with probably transporting the waste overseas, while the new incinerator is being built. A decision has to be made and made quick on the way forward but i do believe this monster incinerator is not necessary. We must introduce recycling on a island wide scale.
Whats your views ?

CHEERS   ALVIN.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
Ive learnt in business you have no friends but i can honestly say politics is a dirty game.

And I'm afraid many of the new faces in the senatorial elections will get slaughtered in the hustings and by the media.

I don't know about slaughtered but I would imagine some are concerned about coming bottom.

These must be the first Jersey elections where we have had an interactive live chat forum where members of the public can actually air their views and ask questions to people seeking election directly.  

We watched this in Guernsey with their WhyGuernsey, and I am 100% certain that the people who were seeking election did better by doing live debate on the Net in advance.

There was one I remember when a deputy elect responded to a piece of attack in such a professional way that even the attacker openly changed their minds.

I think it got to stage were, oh what about Person "x", oh yer, he comes on the forum, yer he should be good... etc etc etc

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 11:00:24 PM »
Whats your views ?

CHEERS   ALVIN.

My view is that three things have converged:
  • Jersey has decided to spend £106m on a huge ugly incinerator in an inappropriate location, with greater capacity than currently required
  • Guernsey deferred all talk of building an incinerator
  • Jersey proposes to extend its harbour. One use of this harbour could be to allow ships carrying waste from Guernsey to dock. Apparently.

So, given that the two Bailiwicks may have done a deal behind closed doors (although this is all only supposition) to ship waste by sea, then what is wrong with Jersey shipping all its waste to France by sea for a couple of years, while Bellozane is rebuilt as a smaller, cheaper, state of the art facility, all taking into account improvements in recycling?

Offline churchill

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 11:36:02 PM »
I have to agree la collette is the wrong site. And they should rebuild the bellozane facility. But i have been told that the reason behind moving the incinerator site is apparently ,they intend in the future to charge us for collecting our rubbish. There's a covenant on the bellozane site that does not permit the states to make those intended charges. Has any one more information on this ?