Author Topic: Bailiff tells Britain to butt out  (Read 9046 times)

Offline newmac

Re: Bailiff tells Britain to butt out
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
That's the problem, if the Bailiff invited a UK judge to preside over the trials I think most would be happy.
It's the fact that he won't even consider it that is making a lot of people angry.

Res Nullius

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
Perhaps what we need is someone qualified in constitutional law to explain it to us in layman's terms.

It seems that UK judges are apointed by the queen, not the bailiff.  He just administers the oath.

It also seems that 'crown' officers are the direct representatives of the queen of England.

Perhaps there is a way?

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 03:47:12 PM »
That's the problem, if the Bailiff invited a UK judge to preside over the trials I think most would be happy.
It's the fact that he won't even consider it that is making a lot of people angry.

I imagine that what he's not willing to consider is the "demand" that the UK unilaterally appoint a judge. Thats altogether different from what you say you'd be happy with. The Judiciary's current stance -  that Jersey is able to deal with things themselves - encompasses what you say you'd be happy with ie: Jersey deciding to bring in a UK judge.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
We have an international drug dealer sitting in our jail by the name of Curtis Warren, the judge in charge was a UK judge  by the name of Tucker who is apparently only allowed to practice in the Caymen isles (or somewhere similar) and Jersey! why is that?  So its when it suits them.  Its all so bloody corrupt.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »
I thought the Curtis Warren case was thrown out due to an over zealous local police force that tried to use unathorised evidence?

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »
As far as I am aware, Mr Warren is still occupying the penthouse suite at the La Moye Hilton, must be over a year on remand now.

I haven't read of his release and would have expected to, had he been released. After all, whenever he appears in court, heavily armed police are deployed, just for the court appearance...

The wikipedia page about him (I know....it's a strange world) was updated in July 2008 and it mentions no release.  Yes, I know, don't rely on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Warren_(criminal)

Sorry, slightly off topic, but it is an interesting case all the same.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »
I must admit that this was a chinese whisper.  Maybe some of the other people with him had since been let go ???

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »
No, there all still all in there, guilty by association. been through an abuse of process hearing with judge tucker then went to appeal.  Jersey police and states members have admitted obtaining evidence illegally. however was still over ruled by UK judges whom are known to the baliff.
Presdently a new abuse of process case is in the making. Allegedly there has been a media ban, so we are not supposed to know about this!

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
Interesting.  Well you can always pm me  ;)

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »
Allegedly there has been a media ban, so we are not supposed to know about this!

Yup, a very strict one. Which is why I haven't quoted your whole post ;)

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
I did not know until today, that France as a Nation, had separation of  church and state. As some historians may comment, that since Henery the VIII split from the catholic church ( that male slut that murdered his wives ) so as to remarry, he kindly organized the Church of England. To add balance today the church has  thousands of good and honest followers of course.

It still puzzles me completely, as to why we all have to contribute and support a religion that  the majority of the population have no connection with. The question is why the church has an unelected but non voting seat in parliament and is paid a fee like but less than politicians. By design therefore the Dean must carry influence.

Another job for Deputy Macon and his new Privilege’s and Procedures Committee ( PPC ) to propose the removal of both the Bailiff and Dean from the States as unelected positions that have no place in a modern democratic Government. France has it completely right on separation of religion from the state.
For those that quote a long historical connection, as in slavery you mean, that was also wrong and corrected.

The Guardian.

The French Republic is built on a strict separation of church and state, intended to foster equality for all private beliefs rather than stigmatise any religion. Secularism is one of the few issues that unites left, right and the far-right of Marine Le Pen. At the heart is the rule that any state worker in the public service must be impartial and neutral, and so cannot show their religious belief with an outward symbol such as a headscarf. Public-sector workers – from teachers to post office or train station staff – are prohibited from wearing the hijab, a visible cross, turban or Jewish kippa. This legislation, dating back 60 years, is set in stone.

But difficulties are emerging under Hollande's presidency as some politicians and philosophers petition for the state rules to be extended to parts of the private sector,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/22/frances-headscarf-war-attack-on-freedom

bb

Note :  This post is placed on this thread, because the Bailiff's position is supposed to be non political i.e. deciding who should work or not here, and reading the first ( top of page 1 ) post above reminded me, of how political the Bailiff  and after the Dean-gate HG scandal, how political these two unelected posts can be.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/latest/2008/09/16/uk-judges-have-no-place-here/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:49:12 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Dundee

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 03:43:41 AM »
So your advocating a right winged biased government, if you had not realised it we already had it, mainly because of the ignorance of the electorate that you so aptly illustrate.