Author Topic: Bailiff tells Britain to butt out  (Read 9343 times)

Jason the Maverick

Bailiff tells Britain to butt out
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:49:30 AM »
http://www5.channelonline.tv/news/templates/jerseynews2.aspx?articleid=16481&zoneid=1

Few people have probably heard of it. To others it's an outdated purely ceremonial court sitting.

But this morning Jersey's Bailiff, Sir Philip Bailhache, and his brother - the Attorney General - William, made what many describe as controversial speeches at the Assize d'Heritage.

Sir Philip said it was important the island looked seriously at 'independence'. He said UK judges and juries weren't needed to oversee any potential 'historic abuse trials'.

Meanwhile, William Bailhache criticised politicians who contacted UK ministers asking them to get involved in local affairs.

Offline Stuart Syvret

Re: Bailiff tells Britain to butt out
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »
Yeah. I’ve already e-mailed Bill Bailhache with a few pertinent questions which my constituents want answering.

And I took the precaution of copying-in Jack Straw, a load of other UK government officials, MP’s who are supporting the survivors and a UK journalist as well.

What odds would you give me that Bill Bailhache will not answer the questions of my constituents?

Stuart.

Offline shaun the sheep

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:18:33 AM »
O=nil

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:34:55 AM »
Can I suggest JTM you put this post on the child abuse thread, why? Because this arrogance will do nothing, for the two brothers.Lets remember that although the messages were very similar there was no collusion. Reading between the lines, this is the message I get. 

We want you to stay away from Jersey, even if you are more qualified and experienced in law than we are. Thus we have spoken, our reasoning? Because we enjoy the power. We are happy, We are the bosses here.  Many people have asked for a separation of my duel rolls and an independent inquiry, but what the hell do they know !.

Three things are important to me now. A new very expensive state of the art gallery named after me.( Paid for by the public who I know, will enjoy the paintings). An election producing very average, mindless, ego driven politicians basically the status quo. God forbid a pack of questioning rebels in the mould of Syvret.

However the last and the best has to be an independent Jersey loads more power, fabulous.   

I guess I am not going to be invited to the garden party !

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:13:01 PM by boatyboy »

GATTACA

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:39:51 AM »
Can I suggest JTM you put this post on the child abuse thread, why? Because this arrogance will do nothing, for the two brothers.

Hi BB,

JTM is not a member of the moderators and as such cannot move threads etc, this is only an ability of the moderators and admin. I agree with the fact that this should be in the child abuse area and so it will be moved.

Offline Stuart Syvret

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:41:43 AM »
Boatboy

Oh crap. You are the Bailiff.

Stuart

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:46:51 AM »
Actually Stuart

its Boatyboy, OK you win,  how did you guess,

Chief Minister

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 08:40:17 AM »
Isn't he talking about him and his brother's independence?  How much are the pair of them earning again?

Offline Voltaire

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:50:12 AM »
Actually Stuart

its Boatyboy, OK you win,  how did you guess,

You should have called youself myownprivateartgallaryboy  ;D

-----------------------------------------------------
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

Res Nullius

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »
It could be simplified further.

"look, I am a turkey and my brother is a turkey.  We cope perfectly well without Christmas for 364 days of the year and strongly object to its intervention on December 25th.  Thank you.  Gobble gobble"

"now, if you don't mind I am going back to my turkey portrait....."

Offline Adrian

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
There must be some way to have these two removed. The only people who would agree with these two is people who have something to gain from this situation remaining.

Offline danrok

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »
I get the distinct impression that the Bailhache brothers' supporters could be counted by a small child who has yet to learn how to count above 10.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
http://www.thisisjersey.com/2008/09/16/uk-judges-have-no-place-here/

THE Bailiff and Attorney General have spoken out strongly against attempts to bring in UK judges and prosecutors in the major child abuse investigation.

The Bailhache brothers suggested that it would be as preposterous for the UK to interfere in Island judicial affairs as for Jersey to appoint an Old Bailey judge.

Speaking yesterday in the Royal Court at the annual Assise d’Héritage, at which Island lawyers renewed their oaths, the Bailiff, Sir Philip Bailhache, said that the independence of the court from political interference was one of the pillars of democracy.

He said: ‘The unusual suggestion that a Minister of the UK Government might send a judge to preside in this court, or a prosecutor to usurp the functions of the Attorney General, has as much legal foundation as the notion that the Chief Minister of Jersey might appoint a Commissioner of his choosing to go and sit at the Old Bailey.’

The Bailiff was referring to moves calling for Justice Secretary Jack Straw to appoint UK judges and prosecutors for the child abuse inquiry.

Some people commented today that from this announcement there must be a cover up.

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »
It will just anger people even more. >:(

Offline danrok

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 07:08:27 PM »
I guess he's not keen on outside "interference", just like Robert Mugabe.

I'd be interested to hear his reasoning for this, rather than a "because I say so" type of response.