Author Topic: What is "The Jersey Way"  (Read 26392 times)

Offline Jersey Spud

Re: What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 09:14:19 AM »
I am fully aware that in the UK voters also only vote within geographically defined limits BUT in the UK you are voting for a party's policies rather than a personality who can (and often does) swap horses after the election. 

The fact that there are parties does not stop independents running and receiving votes in the UK though? So isn't it still the same?

Res Nullius

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »
Of course, but check how many of them actually get to wield any power.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »
  The Jersey way of presenting States accounts has been a mess for year’s. Its a fog thats impossible to itemise. Ben Shenton has been a critic since he came to office. It is getting better. Generally Accepted Accounts Practise ( GAAP )has been creeping in but not fast enough according to Scrutiny in their Report on the 2007 States Accounts. Senator Le Suer got in last time with a slogan safe pair of hands, yes I know it's being used again.

Do those we trust to spend our money, namely Ministers for Treasury and Economics have a clue. Is Jersey as solvent as we are led to believe. Now that we are putting in place a proper accepted penny counting system, lets have a look at the latest no holds barred 2008 Scrutiny report on the States 2007 figures.

1.   Despite this, the Committee was disappointed to learn that the Treasurer was unable to tell the Committee what the effect of changing to GAAP would be on the States’ Accounts. 

Mr. M. Magee: [Scrutiny]

G.A.A.P. accounting …… sounds really boring and it is technical accounting.  I think my main query is do you have a feel for the scale of the adjustments?  Because even though they might not be fully considered, it would be interesting to know that obviously the whole shape of the accounts is likely to change and, following on from what you said last year, you want to set up the departmental budgets to be in a similar format so that you do not get all this reconciliation hassle that you have.
 So you could at the end of the day have something that is a massive surplus or a massive deficit compared to what you have at the moment.  You know, where does that place you in terms of fiscal policy?  Because if you have a big hole does that mean you increase taxes; if you have a big surplus, do you reconsider what you have in place for 20 means 20, et cetera?  To me there is a big picture here about G.A.A.P. accounting, not just “let us get this in a different shape”.

Mr. I. Black:  [treasurer of the States]

We do not know what the figures are going to produce, but obviously capital is a big one, the depreciation charge is the big one.  …..  It will probably turn current surpluses into deficits.  How we deal with that we are only just starting to think about.  I really ... you know, the idea of this is to give information to informed decision-making.  You are asking me what decisions you will take.  I think we need to know the challenges before we start thinking about what to do with them.

Mr. M. Magee:

I guess it is comforting to know that you are considering that because you understand the consequences ...

Mr. I. Black:

We have given it some thought already but we do not have any answers.

A safe pair of hands for you, lets hope they don't play cricket.

Boatyboy

Offline Sean Power

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »
Hi again,

Res Nullius asks me about how fair the system is.  You have raised the point that you cannot have a say in my election and I can make a decision that effects you. At the moment, I stand on a Parish mandate. Yet, once elected, I am one vote in 53 on any manner of issues that effect you and Joe Public in any part of the Island.

I see your point but don't accept it. Tony Blair was an MP for a small constituency in the NE of England, yet he made huge decisions effecting the UK.

My own preference would be a two tier system, whereby I could stand as a Deputy in St. Brelade, but if I wanted an Island mandate, my name should be allowed to go forward in the other 11 Parishes. Yet, my base would be a St. Brelade Deputy.  I would then remain a Parish Deputy with an Island wide mandate, should I choose to do so.

That would be an alternative to the current Island wide Senator mandate and the Parish system of Constables and Deputies.  Guernsey have proven that their simplified election process works and that a Guernsey Deputy can be a Minister.

However, for that to happen in Jersey soon might be wishful thinking. After all the debates we had on electoral reform, I dread thinking about another batch of electoral navel gazing and days more discussing ourselves.

Sean

Offline The Rev Peter Sarkey

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »
I thought your home city was St Helier?? :o
"That's not in the effing good book!"

Offline Sean Power

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
Hi,

My home is St. Brelade. I have use of a small office in St. Helier No. 3/4. 

I want to make a generic comment on child abuse, and my own experience. 

I went to school by and large with the Christian Brothers. My first school was a small 4-8 year old school in the city centre.

I was born in 1955. My father was a baker in Limerick city centre and we lived in the City Centre. This was inner city in 1959/60. It  was run by Limerick Corporation. It was not as bad as Frank Mc Court said in Angela's Ashes. However, the school was a horrible old building with open coal fires in the winter , lots of smoke and I remember the smell of wet and damp clothes, poor ventilation, steamed up windows and LICE in everyone's hair.

I was fine combed every night by my mother coming home.   By and all, my schooling was a happy experience and I was never beaten. We were poor but those school days were happy. I had what I needed. I could not have what I wanted.

I moved to a much larger school in Limerick run by the Christian Brothers.  Corporal punishment was the norm.  I was beaten many times by teachers and was afraid to tell my parents. I probably deserved one or two as I was a questionner.  I was, on rare occasions  beaten, strapped and "knuckle ruled many times".  That was normal in those days. When I go back to that gaunt old building now when I re-visit Limerick, I simply say those days are gone.

Secondary school was different. This was 1967 to 1972. It was by and large incident free. I had one geography teacher, Mr. X, who used to enjoy a few pints after a hard day at the classroom. He used to drive an old VW. One night, he drove through a set of red lights on the Ennis Road and whacked a school mate of mine with his car. Mr. X out out, picked up my friend, gave him another clout for walking through a red light. My friend had a broken elbow and a bruising. Mr X was never replaced or disciplined or dismissed. He was there for years afterwards/.

I had one experience with an adult molester. He was a not a teacher. I loved the river Shannon ( still do) and used to hang out there when I was a young lad, talk to the local fisherman, and so on.

This guy on a bike was always hovering.  He asked to meet me one time to meet him down by the bank of the Shannon river to see and understand the tides. He only asked me. I was probably 14.

I turned up on my own. When I met him, it was on the quayside of the river in the city centre. He then suggested we move back and see the river from a higher perspective. This was an old "Grand House", long a local ruin, but a big site. As soon as we were out of site, he climbed up to the higher floors, I followed, he suddenly turned round, he hugged me and dropped me to the ground. I struggled and found a piece of stone/rock (thankfully) and hit him in the face. He let go and I ran.

That was the end of that. However, I was attacked and I used what force I had to. The guy hovered near the quay for a few days more and then disappeared.

Here is my point. I doubt any of this did me any harm. Maybe I am not qualified to judge. This has been my experience.

Sean

Offline isobel

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »
Sean,    I found your article a little more than disturbing.        Fortunately for you I am not a Jersey Islander if I were you certainly would not be getting my vote.        To say you were beaten for asking questions was OK, surely not.    Do we not teach our children to ask questions and expect a reply not be beaten for having an enquiring mind.      To say you deserved a beating to me says an awful lot.

Your final remarks about a man trying to abuse you did you no harm.        Really, no harm at all, so as far as your concerned life events make you into the person you are.    Has it ever crossed your mind who else this man went on to abuse, what their lives have been like, have they suffered.    Believe me if he tried to abuse you, even if unsuccessful he would have carried  on to abuse more children whose lives no doubt would of been affected badly.        I am sure there are many many abused children in Jersey who have suffered mental, physical and sexual abuse will be offended by your tale people who have seen their abusers on a regular basis, even now when they have confessed all those same abusers are not to this present date being held accountable for their wrong doings.        I feel very very sad for those people who are reading your story.    The abuse they suffered did them a lot of harm resulted in some taking their own lives.     Please think a little before you write.

Online Fritz

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »
Think Sean is going for the sympathy vote here.

With all the HDLG publicity, he seems, in my opinion, to be saying something along the lines of:

"I was that Soldier,I understand the trauma, VOTE FOR ME!!"

Offline Sean Power

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
Really !

Do you think I would post that for sympathy ? It was 45 years ago. It is history !  I have dalt with it.

Sean

Offline newmac

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »
I think if everyone is honest they can remember at least one teacher at there school who would hit pupils. I can certainly remember a couple at Les Quennevais and that was in the late 70's early 80's.

I'm not saying that it excuses what has happened at HDLG and other residential homes in the Island because it doesn't.

Offline Sean Power

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »
Hi again,

If I say anything here, it will be analysed to the nth degree. I have said what I said happened to me. I have moved on.

I do not seek anyone's approval or disapproval.

Sean

Offline isobel

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 11:19:38 PM »
So Sean "You have moved on"    will you help the abused in Jersey the same luxury in supporting the arrest and  charging of the named and shamed Abusers so that those who have lived through turmoil in their lives at least get back some of their self worth.

Offline Sean Power

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 11:26:58 PM »
Hi,

Yes I will and do, and am in contact with one man that was abused as a child. His perp was never charged.

Sean

Offline Paternoster

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »
How many ENGLISH voters voted for Gordon Brown?  Do we want to copy this system.

Offline Swompy

• Jersey Beautiful Jersey
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »
Sean,    I found your article a little more than disturbing.        Fortunately for you I am not a Jersey Islander if I were you certainly would not be getting my vote.        To say you were beaten for asking questions was OK, surely not.    Do we not teach our children to ask questions and expect a reply not be beaten for having an enquiring mind.      To say you deserved a beating to me says an awful lot.

Your final remarks about a man trying to abuse you did you no harm.        Really, no harm at all, so as far as your concerned life events make you into the person you are.    Has it ever crossed your mind who else this man went on to abuse, what their lives have been like, have they suffered.    Believe me if he tried to abuse you, even if unsuccessful he would have carried  on to abuse more children whose lives no doubt would of been affected badly.        I am sure there are many many abused children in Jersey who have suffered mental, physical and sexual abuse will be offended by your tale people who have seen their abusers on a regular basis, even now when they have confessed all those same abusers are not to this present date being held accountable for their wrong doings.        I feel very very sad for those people who are reading your story.    The abuse they suffered did them a lot of harm resulted in some taking their own lives.     Please think a little before you write.

I WAS that Soldier, In more ways that I am prepared to say publicly.
Mr. Sean,
I went to a Catholic school in Jersey and saw a fellow pupil try to strangle himself
beceuse of the thugs who were there to teach us, enjoying their power, I wonder whether my friend has been able to "Move on " as you put it, I think your story if, true may have a been a flash in the pan.

BTW I wouldn't vote for you now, I might have but not now.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 12:49:00 PM by Swompy »
What ARE you doing to my Beautiful Jersey?