Author Topic: What is "The Jersey Way"  (Read 28679 times)

Offline jez strickland

• Forthcomingbusiness
Re: What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »
Sean wrote:

"I cannot understand why it happened but it did."

To which are you referring? Abuse, or miscarriage of justice?

Offline Sean Power

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »
As abuse occured, I want to know as to why it had to happen the way it did. If there has been a miscarriage of justice in Jersey, then I will want to have a complete independent investigation. Some of the perpretrators are dead, some ar alive. An account of what happened at HDLG, and other places must be written about and made available.  However, sensationalising it will have diminishing returns.

Whatever happened has to be evidence based. I hope the perpetrators of these evil crimes against children and dependent vulnerable persons are revealed and punished.

I have a .......

Sean

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »
MR.POWER..

You say if there has been a miscariage of justice you will want a complete inderpendant investigaton...

Well you say you know abuse went on, and this is not just about haut garenne its also about blanche pierre and greenfields we must remember that...

How do you stand on the bailiffs liberation day speach..
Im sure you read senator syvret's blog,whats your take on the info he has put up..
What is your opinion on the A.G and the mcguire case..
I could go on but i think you know what i mean,we are in desperate need of investigative journalism...

is syvret's blog full of rubbish if not its time for action by you and your fellow members..

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline soon

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
Deputy Power,

Do you think that the secrecy shrouding the activities of WEB is compatible with open democracy?

Do you agree that the shareholders of WEB are the people of Jersey? If so, who is acting in their interests?

Res Nullius

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »
Mr Power,

Do you think it is a fair system that allows your vote to affect my life but I can't cast my vote to affect yours simply because of geography?

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »
You could say the same for people you don't vote for that get in.  Its a bit of a strange question Res Nullius.

Res Nullius

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 09:28:59 AM »
Do you really think it's a strange question Terminator?  Is that your understanding of politics?

Look, if I vote for someone who doesn't get in at least I have had the chance to affect the election of the individual. 

As it stands, he could be voted in in his own district when theoretically the remainder of the entire population are against him.  He still has a vote in the house on things which would affect all our lives despite the vast majorityin the island being firmly against him.  I did say this was theoretical - just so you understand that point.

Offline soon

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 10:03:30 AM »
Talking about voting fairness, consider this fact from the tied vote on the removal of GST on food. For - Constable of St Helier representing 30% of the population - 1 vote. Against Constables representing 70% of the population - 2.3 votes. Well actually, no. In fact 11 votes.

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »
Do you really think it's a strange question Terminator?  Is that your understanding of politics?

Look, if I vote for someone who doesn't get in at least I have had the chance to affect the election of the individual. 

As it stands, he could be voted in in his own district when theoretically the remainder of the entire population are against him.  He still has a vote in the house on things which would affect all our lives despite the vast majorityin the island being firmly against him.  I did say this was theoretical - just so you understand that point.

Well put it like this, I didn't vote last time for any of the Senators in current power but what can you do about it?  I dont think its right that Shona Pitman can live outside of St Helier yet go for a deputies job within it and then have a say in the running of Island.  Your question is silly.

Res Nullius

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
So Term, let me get this straight, you think my question asking whether the electoral system is fair is "silly", yet in your response you assert that the electoral system re Shona Pitman is "not right".

You have pretty much answered my silly question then.

Thanks Term.  Getting the gist of this now.   :D

Re the Senators, of course you can't do anything about those in power but (and this is the crux of my question) at least you were able to exersise your democratic right to vote for them or against them. 

With Deputies and Constables you do not have a right to vote for or against them unless they live in your district or parish respectivley.

The question was related to electoral reform.  Calling it 'strange' or 'silly' is a bit odd quite frankly, after all Sir Cecil Clothier looked into just that - was he being just being silly?

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
Okay I take it back, but what you are arguing effects every voter around the Island and is a general question for all candidates.

Res Nullius

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »
Of course it is.  However, Mr Power just happened to be here which is why I asked him.  I do ask them all when I can!

(apology accepted by the way ;))

Offline Sean Power

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 07:18:37 AM »
Hi,

Jeez, this blogs thing moves fast. 

Specific answer to Res Nullius: Though you would never vote for me if you could and that my decisions to vote in the States applies to and effects you, that applies to all of us.  Members vote to introduce projets (GST) that I could never agree with.  I have already siad that what has happened in Jersey vis-a-vis historic child abuse needs to be thoroughly investigated and my understanding is that is ongoing. It should never have happened in all the different places but it did. 

Specific answer to Rico Sorda:  Much as Senator Syvret has the right to express himself inside and outside the Chamber and on his blog, I believe the Bailiff has also the right to say what he feels when he feels it appropriate to do so.  I have no information of the work of the AG and any investigation, other than what has been stated by his office. I believe that you can say what you like in Jersey about most things and that is good. However, if you stray into the areas of libel, then someone will react.

Specific answer to Soon:  I am still unhappy with the way WEB is being run. I do not like the secrecy becuase it is the public purse and public assets, specifically the land.  I am waiting for the new Due Diligence report to come out and as you know I got lambasted in certain quarters in June for asking questions.

OK, I will not be here everyday as I do not have the time.  However, thank you all for your reasonableness and questions . In my line of work, I take a sharp breath now coming on here.

Sean

Res Nullius

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 09:44:47 AM »
Sean, it seems that you missed the point of my question.  I know it applies to all of us. I am not that stupid.

My questions relate to electoral reform.

Do you think it is a fair system that "it applies to all of us"?
Do you think it might be fairer for constables and deputies to have an island-wide mandate if their vote in chambers effects everyone in the island?

I am fully aware that in the UK voters also only vote within geographically defined limits BUT in the UK you are voting for a party's policies rather than a personality who can (and often does) swap horses after the election.  That would not happen in the UK as the candidate would be booted out of the party and a replacement found who will stand for the party policies which were voted for. 

Over here you can change your policies, ideas and allegiences at will once elected and so hustings 'promises' and manifesto's  are essentially hollow.

Hence my questions on electoral reform.

Given my questions above, perhaps you might have a few ideas of your own which you believe might usefully make the system better.  Not that it makes any difference to me because I can't vote for you even if I agreed!

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
MR POWER...

Thanks for the reply....rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx